Survey of Working Audio Interfaces.

Started by Elantric, April 05, 2013, 09:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrushwithin

+1 - The xr18 is excellent, and I use it the same way!

kenact

I recently picked up a Steinberg UR44C. I've seen some of the complaints about the UR44 installation requiring elicenser. That wasn't an issue for me, since I already own, and have recently updated my Cubase 4.5 to Cubase 11.

I'm using it primarily to record interviews and performances for podcasts. I recently recorded a string quartet, micing each instrument individually. Because I have the power in the laptop I'm using, and the disk space, I record at 64 bit & 192khz (Cubase 11 allows that set up). I have a much easier time editing my audio files.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

admin

Quote from: kenact on July 13, 2022, 03:25:38 PMI recently picked up a Steinberg UR44C. I've seen some of the complaints about the UR44 installation requiring elicenser. That wasn't an issue for me, since I already own, and have recently updated my Cubas 4.5 to Cubas 11.

I'm using it primarily to record interviews and performances for podcasts. I recently recorded a string quartet, micing each instrument individually. Because I have the power in the laptop I'm using, and the disk space, I record at 64 bit & 192khz (Cubase 11 allows that set up). I have a much easier time editing my audio files.

The Elicenser is required to installl the UR44C Control Panel which allows access to the internal DSP Amp Modeling , EQ, and FX
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/steinberg-ur44

kenact

Quote from: admin on July 13, 2022, 03:53:38 PMThe Elicenser is required to install the UR44C Control Panel which allows access to the internal DSP Amp Modeling, EQ, and FX
My point was, I didn't have a problem installing it. Since I already own Cubase, I already have ELicenser installed.
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

admin

Quote from: kenact on July 14, 2022, 01:39:58 PMMy point was, I didn't have a problem installing it. Since I already own Cubase, I already have ELicenser installed.

The problem was installing the "UR44 Control Panel" (VST/AU) and getting it registered by the Elicenser and working  - nothing related to Cubase
But that was over 5 years ago, and I was at the mercy of the online Yamaha / Steinberg Elicenser Server   - which has improved since 2015 

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15805.msg112855#msg112855

Jim Williams

For my home recordings my Axe Fx works great, and I can put anything through it. with a small mixer it gets me what I need.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

pasha811

Own a Behringher BEHRINGER UMC204HD U PHORIA and BEHRINGER UMC404HD U PHORIA.
They work great with both Intel and M1 Macs. No Driver required coreAudio compliant, coreMIDI compliant.
On M1 I have almost zero latency at 128 samples and it works great at 64 and 32 samples with Ableton Live. AL with M1 oddily performs better with less CPU if less samples. Direct Monitor is possible with a dedicated Mix Knob.

They also have an Insert (Y Cable) on every channel.

Cheers
Paolo
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

kenact

Quote from: admin on July 14, 2022, 04:05:45 PMThe problem was installing the "UR44 Control Panel" (VST/AU) and getting it registered by the Elicenser and working  - nothing related to Cubase
But that was over 5 years ago, and I was at the mercy of the online Yamaha / Steinberg Elicenser Server  - which has improved since 2015 

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15805.msg112855#msg112855

I was referring to this remark:

"So far its been a royal pain in the butt - For some reason Steinberg requires an "e-Licencer" just to run its UR44 DSP Mixer with the Guitar amp sims - and the "e-Licencer" installer is a nightmare on OSX - completely prompts me to insert a Nuendo / Cubase USB "E-Licenser key stick - which is NOT supplied with the UR-44. ( and I have zero interest to Buy a E-Licenser Stick and install Cubase)"

From this post:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27079.msg197978#msg197978

Which clearly states the user had a problem installing the ELicenser. My ONLY point is, I didn't have a problem installing the ELicenser when setting up the UR44C, as it was already installed, BECAUSE I have CUBASE.
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Jim Williams

I never buy anything that requires an E-license. It may limit some plugins and DAW's for me but there plenty of great stuff out there that will do the same job.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

alexmcginness

Im using a MOTU PCIE 424 card with 4 MOTU 24 i/o break-out boxes. Works great with Cubase 10.5 on W7. The drivers dont work well on W10 for me. Others say they do work so your mileage may vary. My main music machine is a 2011? HP Z800 dual hexcore and that with the MOTU lets me record with a buffer setting of 32 or 64 for very low real-time latency. Ive got three HP z800s that I use with Audio gridder and Vienna Ensemble Pro to offload processing duties for the CPU hungry VSTi's and it all works great. At some point Ill need to upgrade everything if I want a W10 compatible audio interface but money is tight now and what I have isnt broken.  You cannot view this attachment.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.