Survey of Working Audio Interfaces.

Started by Elantric, April 05, 2013, 09:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Survey of Working Audio Interfaces.
================================

While its true that both VG-99 and GR-55 include on-board USB Audio I/O interfaces, many folks find it useful to have a separate more robust dedicated Audio interface in your system.

The goal of this thread is to develop a list of Computer Audio Interfaces that our members use, and work well for real time low latency Amp simulators (Amplitube / GuitarRig, etc) that are working as "pop free" / low latency Audio Interfaces.

Please add a few comments and details with your Recommended (or Not Recommend) Audio Interface.
Since there are so many variables to obtain successful operation for modern guitarists and today's guitar applications please post your response in the format below:

Brand & Model :  (insert name of audio interface here)

Computer Type & OS: (Dell, HP, Apple, Sony, Asus) & (Win7 64, WinXP, OSX  Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountan Lion, etc.)

Computer Connection method: (Firewire, PCI, USB 1.0, USB 2.0, Thunderbolt, Apple headset jack, etc)

Driver version: (version 1.xx)

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: (Reaper, Logic, Ableton, StudioOne, N.I. GuitarRig, Amplitube, etc)

Comment: (insert your experience and thoughts here)

Elantric

Brand & Model:  Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL

Computer Type & OS: 2011 Apple iMac 27" 3.4GHz Intel I7 / Apple OSX 10.7.5

Computer Connection method: USB 2.0

Driver version: Presonus VSL 1.2

DAW/VSTi/AU Instrument used: Reaper and N.I. GuitarRig 5.0

Comment: Random pops and clicks, Not Recommend 

----
Retest above interface with Apple Ipad Mini and IOS Apps

Brand & Model:  Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL

Computer Type & OS: 2012 Apple iPad Mini 32GB / Apple IOS 6.1.3

Computer Connection method: Apple Lightning USB Camera adapter + powered USB HUB

Driver version: Apple Core Audio IOS

DAW/VSTi/AU/IOS Instrument used:  Jam Up Pro XT, Meteor MultiTrack

Clean audio interface  - Multiple Audio input channels seen i IOS, MIDI I/O Works too - Must use a powered USB HUB !

additional info

I got this info from Rim (one of the programmers) over on the Auria forum. It works perfectly now! I've got output to my headphone amp and can overdub with very low latency (if any). Brilliant work on Auria's part.

It's not as elegant as using the 1818's headphone jack, but it'll do what I need it to do now. I'll be saying goodbye to my laptop and its fan noise for tracking.

Here's his fix:

The iPad will only output from 1&2 on a USB device. The reason why you're not hearing anything out of 1 & 2 is because the 1818 defaults to "volume off" on output 1&2. It's an easy fix -

1. Plug in the 1818 while Auria is running
2. Once you see the USB indicator on top of Auria's screen, turn up your iPad's hardware volume control (located on the side of your iPad). This control adjusts the 1818's 1&2 output volume.
3. This only needs to be done once, as the 1818 will remember this volume setting.

Rim

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6619.0

For those interested in Auria on iPad -Read this excellent article on using the Presonus 1818VSL with iPAD and Auria
http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/review-2/review-presonus-audiobox-1818-vsl-an-interface-for-ipad-and-mac-musicians

The latest version of Auria now have an output matrix, so all eighteen outputs of the 1818 can be accessed. This is not the case with other audio apps such as GarageBand or the Music app, whose stereo output does not get mirrored across all outputs, and can therefore only be monitored via outputs 1 and 2, and not the headphone jack. Note that at the time of writing it is a requirement that the 1818 is plugged into a powered USB hub, which is then plugged into the iPad via the Camera Connection Kit.

You should also be aware that the features offered by the VSL software are of course not available when working with an iPad. On the plus side, you can also use your iPad to run the free Presonus SL Remote app, with which you can remote control VSL software running on your Mac, over Wi-Fi.

Kevin M

Brand & Model :  MOTU Ultralite mk3, MOTU 828 mk2 and mk3

Computer Type & OS: HP Media Center PC, Thinkpad W520 - Win 7 64bit

Computer Connection method: Firewire

Driver version:  4.0.55333

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used:  Cakewalk Sonar (multiple versions), Pro Tools 10, Dimension Pro, Omnisphere

Comment:  These MOTU devices have always worked well for me.  Although I have never used them on a Mac, I believe they will be at LEAST as reliable on OSX as they are on Windows.

scratch17

Brand & Model :  MOTU Traveler Mk1

Computer Type & OS: MacBook Pro i7 quad core @ 2 Ghz, 8 MB Ram, 750 GB Seagate Hybrid 7200 RPM / SSD (boot drive)
                                 iMac i7 quad core @ 3.4 Ghz, 32 MB Ram, 1 TB 7200 RPM (boot drive).

Driver version:  1.6.54199

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used:  Logic Pro 9.1.8, Studio One 2.5, Guitar Rig 5, Amplitube 3, Waves GTR, Line 6 Pod Farm 2, etc.

Comment: 

I've used my Traveler on Windows PC's with Cubase also with no issues. I now use Logic Pro on both of my Macs. The Traveler is a great interface.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Elantric

Brand & Model : 2011 Fender G-DEC 3 Thirty Amp

Computer Type & OS: 2011 Apple iPad2 64GB+3G  / Apple IOS 6.1.3

Computer Connection method: Apple USB Camera Adapter+ USB Mini Cable

Driver version: Apple Core Audio

DAW/VSTi/AU Instrument used: Meteor Multitrack DAW for iPad, IK MultiMedia Amplitube IOS (Version 2.9.6 FULL (13C28)

Comment: This was a big surprise, this setup works very well for mobile recording and is very low latency. Got my G-DEC 3 Thirty during last years blow out for under $150   

EDIT:However effective with IOS 8 , the G-DEC Three no longer works as Audio Interface for IOS 

Orren Merton

Brand & Model :  Apogee Quartet (Mac and iOS only)

Computer Type & OS: Apple iMac 27" 3.4GHz i7 running OS X 10.8.3 / iPad 3 running iOS 6.1.3

Computer Connection method: USB

Driver version: 1.19.4 (February 2013)

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Logic, GarageBand, Cubase, Live (OSX) / JamUp Pro & GarageBand for iOS (iOS)

Comment: I really cannot say enough good things about this interface. It sounds excellent, the mixer software is very intuitive and easy on the eyes, it's pop and click free even at extremely low audio buffers. The February 2013 update enabled iOS support as well as OS X support, and it works just as flawlessly with iOS. This isn't cheap but if you're doing serious recording on Mac/iOS this is worth the expense.

Orren

aliensporebomb

Brand & Model :  Alesis iO2 Expess

Computer Type & OS: Mac OS 10.83 as well as Windows 7

Driver version: v1.01

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used:   GarageBand, Logic Pro, Omnisphere, Various AU SoftSynths.

Comment: We initially bought this as an inexpensive audio interface so my wife could start working on recording on her own iMac for singing and voiceover work but found that for the price it was a very decent and capable audio interface in its own right.  It also includes stereo guitar/line audio ins, stereo mic ins with 48 volt phantom power, insert inputs as well as MIDI IN and OUT jacks, plus stereo audio outputs and a headphone jack.  All for well under one hundred dollars.  Clear transparent sound without any pops, clicks or other audio blurriness.  It actually does a better job at capturing my Mesa Boogie/Lexicon/TC Electronic rig than the dedicated interface that was at least a thousand dollars when it was bought many a year ago.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

germanicus

Brand & Model :  Presonus Firepod

Computer Type & OS: Dell inspiron 1520 laptop and home made overclocked i5 desktop with 16 gigs ram

Driver version: 5.13

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Sonar x1 and x2 producer, Kontakt 5, M-tron pro, Arturia Analog Experience Laboratory, Various other soft synths

Comment: More snap crackle and pops than my rice crispies in the morning. I used this extensively to track one of my bands rehearsals over the course of a year. Struggled with spdif sync issues and also experienced snap and pops when using it in internal timing mode. Stay away.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

germanicus

Brand & Model :  M-Audio Delta 1010

Computer Type & OS: home made overclocked i5 desktop with 16 gigs ram, win 7 64bit

Computer Connection method: PCI

Driver version: 6.0.8

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Sonar x1 and x2 producer, Kontakt 5, M-tron pro, Arturia Analog Experience Laboratory, Various other soft synths

Comment: Very stable card, and has good ADC/DAC. No snap crackle or pops. Great routing. This has been around a LONG time, but it still holds up very well.

Traynor k4

shawnb

Brand & Model :  Edirol (Roland) UA-101

Computer Type & OS: Dell Studio XPS 8100 - i7, 8GB.   Win7 64-bit

Driver version: 1.0.0

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: SONAR X2, Guitar Rig 3 & 4

Comment: Very compact, versatile & affordable.  The UA-101 is a 24-Bit/192 kHz 10-in/10-out.  8 ins & outs are 1/4" jacks.   2 of the ins & outs are optical.   The two front inputs accept either 1/4" or XLR.

It has a Hi-Z switch on one of its front inputs specifically for guitar input.   No issues with levels; very practical readout on the front.   Sounds GREAT with Guitar Rig 3 & 4, with no discernable latency. 

Provides a very handy limiter switch on the front as well, if you have a hot or problematic source. 

Decent software allows you to view all settings, & adjust buffers, etc.  Also provides a software "patch bay".   You can choose which inputs are monitored. 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

szilard

Brand & Model :  Echo AudioFire 4

Computer Type & OS: Home Built Asus MB, Win7 64

Driver version: ASIO driver version 5.7.6, Arm firmware 5.7.3, FPGA 3.0.2

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Sonar X2P, Ableton, Tracktion, TH2, Omnisphere, Alchemy, Reaktor, Mobius, Wavosaur

Comment: Portable & affordable, haven't had any problems with it.
Hear it: recordings

Audiofire 4

ProgMystic

Brand & Model :  M-Audio ProjectMix IO

Computer Type & OS: Supermicro Intel Quad CPU @ 2.83GHz  & Win7 64

Driver version: 5.10.0.5058

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Cubase 5, GuitarRig, Reason

Comment: Has worked flawlessly for the last 3 years. Huge range of input possibilities. I run the balanced stereo XLRs to channel inputs on the desk and transmit midi via the VG99 USB connection to the PC. I use the ProjectMix as the only audio device and turn off all windows system sounds. Because all the IO is done in the audio device itself, the latency is virtually non existent.

EDIT ** Added by request snapshot of buffer settings. Also probably should have mentioned 8G RAM and using ASIO driver
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

PD FX

Interface: GR55 USB audio
Tested with: MacosX 10.6.8 on older white MacBook
Summary: very good for recording/monitoring at home, stage performance uncertain.

The GR55 can be very fast, it is the fastest interface I have (according to Kontakt 5)
I'd recommend it if there werent such problems:
-when the driver crashes (just might happen), you'll have to reboot your computer. thats really bad for a live situation.
-using usb tends to deteriorate performance of the GR55 (volume pedal, volume knob, S1,S2 react sluggish or not at all)
It seems to better when you switch "guitar midi" OFF in the gr-55 system. But then the GR55 will send no midi whatsoever, and that is a bloody shame, for then you cant use the volume and hold pedals, which would be so welcome using the Tripleplay.

aliensporebomb

Brand & Model :  Roland VG-99

Computer Type & OS: Corei7 iMac with 16 gigs of 1333 mhz RAM and Mac OS v10.83

Driver version: Claims 1.0.0 but is actually 1.0.2 by now since the version for Lion was 1.0.1.  Sloppy, very sloppy.

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Logic, Garageband, Mainstage, Riffworks T4, etc.

Comments;  Interface is fast, clean, quiet, low latency and works great for guitar-to-midi thru the USB ports.  Downside for some would be using this as a live performance interface in a live setting where you are attempting to switch patches as the sound will cut out.  To fix you could use the GR-55 method of having one patch with multiple permutations so the patch does not change during one piece of music, using a looper or perhaps using a parallel rig for a guitar sound that takes over for when the VG cuts out if you use this as a live sound interface.  The most practical solution is the one patch with multiple footswitchable permutations.

Instead, I use this as a studio tool where all audio apps are set to having the VG-99 as the audio in and using either the Macs built in output as the output or my other audio interface as the output.   For live, I use the audio outputs into a looper and into a mixing board.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Kevin M

Brand & Model :  RME Fireface UFX

Computer Type & OS: Thinkpad W520 Win 7 64-bit

Computer Connection method: Firewire/USB 2.0

Driver version: 3.073

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Cakewalk Sonar X2, Pro Tools 10

Comment: Just purchased this (due to the RME reputation for better quality AD converters) and have only begun testing it (hence the * in status).  So far, playback and brief recording tests were flawless.  The driver installation under Windows was a bit different from what I'm used to, but went relatively painlessly nonetheless.  Right now, the firmware update tool will only work with the USB connection.  The SPDIF digital I/O is optical rather than the RCA type connectors; I previously plugged my POD HD into my MOTU via SPDIF, so I'll have to change this or find an adapter.

Macciza

Hi All

The one vital piece of information that is missing in all of these reports is the Buffer size which is really crucial imho . . .
This also gives some idea of expected latencies, rather than simply say it is 'fast' or 'low latency', 'no discernable latency' etc
This all ends up a bit subjective for many, many reasons whilst hard figures give some actual factual basis for claims . . .
It may have 'no pops,crackles' etc at 512 and you may think it is low latency, but how does it handle 128, 64 or lower . . .
Just a thought . . . .
CHEERS
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

Shatner

Brand & Model :  TC Electronic Konnekt 24D

Computer Type & OS: Apple Macbook Pro, Intel Core i7 2.3 Quadcore, 8 gig RAM, Mountain Lion 10.8.3

Computer Connection method: Firewire 9-6 M/M adaptor cable - Firewire to Thunderbolt adaptor

Driver version: 3.0.0 f3637

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Garageband

Comment: Works well with 'low latency' setting, no pops, clicks, or crackles. Requires use of additional power adaptor (included).
The old version of this driver had options for buffer sizes of 64, 128, 256, 512, etc.. but the new driver simply states "low latency" or "regular" and other simple descriptions as options. I don't even know the numerical buffer sizes now.

Also had great results with about 6 milliseconds latency when using with PC Windows XP Professional SP2 and SP3, Gigabyte 2.4 Quadcore, 4 Gig RAM into Cubase 5 with earlier version 2.5 driver via Firewire and did not require power adaptor. M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 is also recommended with this PC setup

Had poor results with Presonus Firebox and Echo Layla.

PD FX

Quote from: Macciza on April 08, 2013, 11:30:57 PM
Hi All

The one vital piece of information that is missing in all of these reports is the Buffer size which is really crucial imho . . .
This also gives some idea of expected latencies, rather than simply say it is 'fast' or 'low latency', 'no discernable latency' etc
This all ends up a bit subjective for many, many reasons whilst hard figures give some actual factual basis for claims . . .
It may have 'no pops,crackles' etc at 512 and you may think it is low latency, but how does it handle 128, 64 or lower . . .
Just a thought . . . .
CHEERS
Yes, i second your thoughts, it is however very difficult to get comparable data.
The outgoing software buffer and its latency is devided into a softbuffer (that your synth uses to gather before output) and a lower level "hardware" buffersetting, that is sometimes editable, sometimes not.
Cracklin due to low buffer settings mainly occurs due to buffer underrun in the soft buffer, which is not influenced bij the audiohardware, just by the speed of the computer itself..
So, the performance difference btween audiodevices and their settings are mostly so deeply hidden, you cant speak about it..
Just exchanging experiences is the best we can do here!
Only (input/output) latency measurement with loopback timing are valid for comparisons.. So for measurement reasons the audio path can be used, it will serve just as well for synth only comparison.

mbenigni

Brand & Model :  Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1

Computer Type & OS: Microsoft Surface Pro, Windows 8

Computer Connection method: USB 3

Driver version: 3.1.0

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Ableton Live, Cakewalk Dimension Pro, Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5

Comment:  I never had very good results with this interface with my older Win7 computer, but that may have been down to the USB implementation on that motherboard.  When I picked up the Surface Pro, I found that NI was among the first to specifically address USB 3 compatibility in driver release notes, and it's probably no coincidence that this interface performs well connected to the SP's single USB 3 port.

The interface defaults to a buffer size of 128 samples, which is nice and snappy, but I did hear the occasional pop, so I increased this to 192 samples.  The feel is just slightly different, but still quite acceptable, and the system has been solid since.

rolandvg99

Brand & Model :  Creamware Pulsar 2 (Sonic Core 6 DSP)

Computer Type & OS: Gigabyte H55M-Usb3, i3 530, Windows XP SP3 32-bit

Computer Connection method: PCI*

Driver version: Scope 4.0

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Sonar 5.2 and Ableton Live 9.02

Comment: This is an old card, but a true workhorse. Creamware went bankrupt several years ago, but Sonic Core bought the remains and has launched it's own line of cards along software and driver updates. Latest version is Scope 5.1 and runs in both 32 and 64-bit windows.

Strong points: Reliable, low latency, DSP, 16 ins/outs on ADAT (8 SMUX), WC, 2 CH SPDIF in/out, 2 Ch Analog in/out.
Weak spots: Very picky about motherboards and chipsets.

Latency in Ableton: sub 6 ms in/out in 44.1 kHz (In my config 2.93 ms in and 2.93 ms out). Sub 3 ms round trip at 96 kHz (In my config 1.36 ms in and 1.36 ms out)
Latency using DSP: Negligible

Dynatube amps by Softube sounds goodish and has very low latency in this system.

*) Old cards are picky about what chipsets they run on. I.e. Intel H55 is recommended, but the H57 is not. Search forums.planetz.com for working setups and suggestions. Sonic Core has launched the Xite range of cards that are way more powerfull and run on PCIe or Expresscard using an optional conversion card.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

szilard

Brand & Model :  Roland Quad-Capture

Computer Type & OS: HP laptop (dv6-6159us) , Win7 64

Driver version: ASIO driver version 1.0.1, Device Main: 1.03 (0122), BIOS: 1.01 (0122)

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: Sonar X2P, TH2, Omnisphere, Alchemy, Reaktor, Wavelab Elements

Comment: Portable & affordable, driver & device seem solid.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1166

merman93

Brand:Apogee Gio
Mac only
Price: $395.00

Full disclosure.,, I have many audio interfaces that were provided for a review a few years back , free of charge. I received all of the entry level Apogee interfaces available during that period, One, Duet, and Gio, along with several very high end models from Apogee, Metric Halo,and other developers. The Gio, ( the least expensive of the group) has been sitting in the case for 18 months or longer since that review was completed, as It was lacking enough inputs to be used in my recording studio.

The Gio is a bit pricey when compared to modern audio interfaces available, $395.00
However, I have recently found it is actually a very practical unit for use with the FTP in live situations.
It is a 1 in 2 out interface, which is okay for mono guitar signal. The quality of the converters is very good, and it is extremely road worthy and familiar in shape and design to guitar foot pedals.

It was designed for use with Logic, Mainstage and Garageband. It s very durable, reminiscent of an FCB 1010 but smaller. It has an input for an expression pedal, which is a real benefit when using FTP. It has 1/4 " connections and a usb output to interface with laptop.

I have been using Mainstage 2 mostly with the FTP, either with or without using the Fishman app. And this unit has been a real godsend as I design a second platform to take the FTB outside of the studio setting.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

merman93

Brand: Metric Halo- ULN-8
System: Mac OSX only
Price$ 5995.00

Full disclosure,.. I did not spend my own money on this. It was provided for a review of audio interfaces a few years ago.

Not much to say, it is the best. I much prefer this to the Apogee Symphony series, although In most pro studios, you re likely to see the Symphony. I only post this here for comparison.

I sure wouldn't take this on this road, although I believe Adrian Belew does have a few in his touring rack, and he is an endorser of their products.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

mbenigni

I really dig the GiO.  I wish there were driver support for using it with a Windows rig. 

Does anyone out there have a Native Instruments Rig Kontrol 3 they can comment on?  I have the RK1 and RK2, but neither can be configured to send MIDI to other VSTs etc.

germanicus

Brand & Model :  Focusrite Forte
Price : $499

Computer Type & OS: Home built PC DAW win 7 64 bit, 16 gigs ram and Dell Inspiron 1520 win 8 4 gigs ram.

Driver version: 1.0 Firmware:338

DAW/VSTi/AU Software Instrument used: SONAR X2 Producer, FTP, Kontakt 5

Comment: Very nice quality Pres. Not a cheap unit but worth the money. Very well built. Does NOT have midi in or SPDIF. Nice OLED touchscreen for level/monitoring controls and a large knob that can be assigned for different limited functions in DAW software. Comparable to Apogee Duet/Motu 16.

Traynor k4