GR-55 vs GR-30 + POD

Started by spitfire, January 07, 2013, 03:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitfire

I have a friend considering how a GR-55 would work in his rig for gigging. Currently he runs a GR-30 for synth and a POD HD for guitar and runs these into a small mixer then into a full range amp.

The fact that the GR-55 does amp modeling FX for guitar as well as synth functions, not to mention the guitar modeling, might allow him to simplify his rig by just using a GR-55.  But, there's a few things we think are deal breakers on this. But I want to ask those doing this type of thing to see if we're overlooking anything. FYI, I do have a GR-55 myself.

The basic issue is system-wide changes. As it is now, he has say 4 patches on the POD that he uses with 3 synth patches. Now, he isn't necessarily using all 12 combinations of this. But assuming he was, as I see it he would need 12 GR-55 patches.

The issue we see, for example, is if he decides at the gig he wants a touch more or less reverb, as it is now, he would tweak the reverb on his POD for more reverb. That would still only apply to that one guitar patch. But since the synth patch and guitar/POD patch are independent, he doesn't need to make any further changes when he changes the synth patches.

The same thing applies to EQ. As it is now, he runs a small mixer to bring in the POD and synth to the amp. If needed he can adjust the EQ on the mixer to compensate to some degree for the venue. Note: His band is NOT using a PA.

So the question is, is there a way to link parts of patches between multiple GR-55 patches? For example, to adjust something like EQ or reverb, that would automatically affect some other patches? In other words, is there any way to link parts of GR-55 patches so changes in one affect the other.

Or if not that, is there any way to make something like the EQ global so it affects all patches.

I don't think this is possible, but I'm asking just to be sure.

Elantric

If he is currently running a POD HD, i would imagine the long MUTE on every GR-55 patch change would be a deal breaker for him.

To get around this, he would have to become very familiar with the GR-55 Control Assigns, and set one patch per song that can  morph between all his Guitar parts and Synth parts - else experience the gaps mid song due to the sluggish patch change time of the GR-55. 

FWIW - the POD HD and GR-30 each change patches much quicker than the GR-55 - with a much shorter gap of silence. Also many GR-30 users can confirm the GR-30 tracks guitar to MIDI or Guitar to PCM Synth a bit faster than GR-55 on the low strings

spitfire

Quote from: Elantric on January 07, 2013, 04:12:09 PM
If he is currently running a POD HD, i would imagine the long MUTE on every GR-55 patch change would be a deal breaker for him.
To get around this, he would have to become very familiar with the GR-55 Control Assigns, and set one patch per song that can  morph between all his Guitar parts and Synth parts - else experience the gaps mid song due to the sluggish patch change time of the GR-55. 

This may not be as big a deal as it sounds, as I think he's more of a patch per song type, though turns things like tremolo on and off. But, I'll make sure he evaluates this.

germanicus

Quote from: spitfire on January 07, 2013, 03:54:08 PM
I have a friend considering how a GR-55 would work in his rig for gigging. Currently he runs a GR-30 for synth and a POD HD for guitar and runs these into a small mixer then into a full range amp.

The fact that the GR-55 does amp modeling FX for guitar as well as synth functions, not to mention the guitar modeling, might allow him to simplify his rig by just using a GR-55.  But, there's a few things we think are deal breakers on this. But I want to ask those doing this type of thing to see if we're overlooking anything. FYI, I do have a GR-55 myself.

The basic issue is system-wide changes. As it is now, he has say 4 patches on the POD that he uses with 3 synth patches. Now, he isn't necessarily using all 12 combinations of this. But assuming he was, as I see it he would need 12 GR-55 patches.

The issue we see, for example, is if he decides at the gig he wants a touch more or less reverb, as it is now, he would tweak the reverb on his POD for more reverb. That would still only apply to that one guitar patch. But since the synth patch and guitar/POD patch are independent, he doesn't need to make any further changes when he changes the synth patches.

The same thing applies to EQ. As it is now, he runs a small mixer to bring in the POD and synth to the amp. If needed he can adjust the EQ on the mixer to compensate to some degree for the venue. Note: His band is NOT using a PA.

So the question is, is there a way to link parts of patches between multiple GR-55 patches? For example, to adjust something like EQ or reverb, that would automatically affect some other patches? In other words, is there any way to link parts of GR-55 patches so changes in one affect the other.

Or if not that, is there any way to make something like the EQ global so it affects all patches.

I don't think this is possible, but I'm asking just to be sure.

I would say for him to stick with his current setup. In my experience the hd500 is superior for amp modelling and distortions. Make sure he really tries out the gr55's amp modelling to be sure hes satisfied with it. If he wants guitar modelling adding a James Tyler Variax would be a better bet, and would integrate perfectly already with his hd500.

The gr55 is a nice unit, but ive tried to do what hes contemplating. I still use the gr55 live, but in conjunction with a pod hd500.

My recollection of the accuracy of the gr30 and the gr33's midi out was horrendous. They did wonderfully with internal sounds, but when driving other synths it was a jack in the box of transient blips and bleeps. I had better experiences with the vg99's midi out than with the gr30/33's midi outs.

The gr55 *seems* better in this regard, but I no longer have the older units to do a true side by side comparison.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

gumtown

He may want to keep the Pod HD and replace the GR-33 with the 55, even if just for the extra PCM synth and the modeled guitars and alternate tuning.
Apart from those features, I see no real reason for NEED for a change, unless he WANTS a GR-55.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

polaris20

IMO the GR-30 is a better performing synth, and the sounds are a lot better than the 55. Additionally, the POD HD slays the models in the 55 as well. And unless you add an additional foot controller to the 55, the GR30+POD HD will be a lot easier to manage from a live standpoint.

pickinboy

FWIW - I use an oler Marshall Drivemaster pedal and a decent Fender tube amp, and Cs-2 Boss compressor. it kinda models most amps quick - maybe not the Vox tone- but the warmth of this goes well against the synth tones.. keep the digital side digital and the analog side analog as it were