Show your GK Guitar

Started by Virtual Tone, February 22, 2008, 11:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless68

Warmoth body & neck - GK3 kit only - tone controls are encoders with momentary switches for S1 / S2  - non locking floyd rose + Tusq nut + vintage height adjustable locking gotoh vintage tuners - Synthlinx gumbo special 13 pin (as always :-) ) 
its semi hollow made of walnut - body is only 3.5 pounds

admin

Barry Clark modified LP Special

AAT65

PRS SE245

Fender American Original Jazzmaster

admin

Ronnie James Dio, Craig Goldy
Custom B.C. Rich Double Neck. With GK Hex Pickup only neck, and SSH Floyd Neck

coincident

Doh. Tried to post a different version of this, but photos were too large and it ate my post. Sadness.

Anyhow. I got this Ibanez q52 a couple of days ago after looking at guitars for a month or two. It is *excellent*; I like it more than the Strandbergs and higher-end Ibanez I tried out at guitar center a couple of weeks ago... and those were 2-3x the cost.

I got this pretty much specifically for GK use; fingerboard radius and scale length within the spec for GK pickup adjustments, independent tuner-bridges to hopefully reduce mechanical crosstalk vs one-piece metal bridge, enough space under the strings and good distances from both the bridges and the bridge pickup. Just awesome!

Of course... I neglected to load up a photo and scale it in Fusion 360 to measure for the control unit. Turns out there's basically nowhere to mount it where it won't interfere with the guitar's fantastic ergonomics. Ended up having to pull the "alter" switch into the electronics cavity and wrap it in kapton tape to insulate it against bumping into stuff. Not my favorite way to mount the control box, wedged between volume and tone knobs... but acceptable in the absence of alternatives for the time being.

As mounted now, at least the divided pickup is in a great spot! Little to no adjacent string cross talk (little bit between A and E/D), though still a bit due to resonance from high-E and sometimes B (iirc). String heights, after fiddling with the screw tension and radius adjustments, are all extremely close to 1mm as measured with the GK height checker tool (fretted at 24)... though the A and B strings are a bit of a tight squeeze to get the tool underneath. Measured out the bridge distance carefully, etc.

Sensitivity settings for SY-1000 came out:

46 44 58 65 48 58 (low-E to high-E, as shown in SY1000 config)

Which is a pretty nice improvement over the initial install, which had a range from 38 to 78 or something like that.

Initial install was not quite as good; 1) accidentally had the pickup in contact with high-E and was getting some weird results. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with careful application of a diamond file to the pickup screw hole to bump it back 0.5mm, 2) needed to shim a little bit on the high-E side to even out pickup-to-string height across the pickup.

Plans for the near-future:

- have an internal GK kit coming from Andertons (thanks vguitar forums and admin!). Going to design a shelf and print some brackets, with the shelf mounting to back of guitar and giving me some space in the gap under the tuners to mount electronics

- have some EZ-LOK threaded nut inserts and machine screws to use instead of wood screws for the pickup itself. Not planning on installing/removing the pickup frequently, but would like to avoid stripping out the wood over time.

- have some wax coming soon to pot the divided pickup now that the radius is set correctly

- considering trying a sorbathane strip on the bottom edge of the guitar under the tuners to try and soak up vibration and reduce mechanical crosstalk... should be out of sight with the addition of an electronics shelf, and probably won't hurt to try

- do something a little more aesthetic with the hot pink paracord wrap at the top

- tempted to either slant it a little more to get the bass side closer to bridge, or to get the treble side a little further to help even out sensitivity a little more... or... straighten the whole thing out for visual reasons...

Anyhow, thanks to all of the contributors on the forum; information here has been extremely helpful in getting things installed, set up, and optimized!

Matteo Barducci

Quote from: coincident on May 07, 2022, 02:49:26 PM
Anyhow, thanks to all of the contributors on the forum; information here has been extremely helpful in getting things installed, set up, and optimized!

Now THIS is a nice project!

I really like the new Ibanez (interested into the Ichika iNto signature model), altough the RGT series seems to be more suitable for GK use
--

---> Matteo Barducci

littletardis

Second GK3 Kit Install on a Music Man Axis - This one on an Axis Sport I originally started rebuilding in 2019 with the intention of making a Brian MAy "Red Special" Axis but got side tracked after moving to an SY1000. Refinished guitar in purple about two weeks ago and then had an agonising wait for a delivery from Australia from Peter to complete the build. Really pleased with how this turned out - The pots are a little closer than I would have liked  but it was a case of getting away without routing a bigger cavity.

littletardis

Some build pictures

littletardis

admin

I just acquired a gently used Cort G290 FAT

Imho the build quality is equivalent to a 2001 era EBMM.
Cort 290 FAT neck geometery reminds me of a 1999 EBMM Silhouette meets Jackson  -   not too narrow at the Nut , not too  thin neck profile ( as I find EB/MM Petrucci's unplayably too thin necks)  , This Cort G290 Fat Neck profile is not too chunky, but attention has been paid to providing a Neck that feels a cut above - gradual thickness increase as move up to 12th fret , feels great as I'm prone to only desire  guitars with fat chunky '59 Gibson Custom shop or PRS neck profiles.

The product page and a few paid youtubers claim its a "V" profile - this is NOT  a V profile neck ( as a EB/MM Luke is a V Neck)
https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?it_id=1546932284

Light weight ASH body , luggage scale says guitar weighs 5.5 pounds

Smooth well built steel tremolo - does the whole Jeff Beck thing - pull up or push down ,  and guitar always returns to pitch - due to excellent Cort locking staggered height tuners and TUSQ type Nut- quality build and specs exceed any prior Cort guitar I've played - which used to be like a cheap Samick-

I suspect since Cort is now oem manufacturer for PRS SE models , has helped improve and inflence the Cort product line.

Frets are not too tall or too small , I'm required to use a capo in current band for a few tunes, and tall frets with quick  capo install mid set often spells tuning disaster.

I'm going to install a GK-KIT-GT3 on it (for SY-1000) and wax pot the stock 4 wire Humbucker pickups- neck PU is a bit microphonic. - seems unpotted pickups are prefered by a few, but for me they only spell disaster  with squeals  playing solos with a loud rock drummer at sound checK

Very Happy with this used 1st generation Cort 290 FAT - among the best playing guitars i own, and perfect design for adding a divided GK pickup to drive my VGuitar GK Processors.

https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/web-ikebe/grandy_GR-GK/

Other reviews

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.google.com/search?q=Cort+290+FAT&oq=Cort+290+FAT&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l3j35i39i305l2j0i10l2.3110j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#wptab=s:H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLVT9c3NCwqTqtIy8kwesRowS3w8sc9YSn9SWtOXmPU5OIKzsgvd80rySypFJLmYoOyBKX4uVB18uxi4g0oyk8pTS4JSi3LTC1fxCqanF9UopBuZGmgkJZYolAEFi4GAKz5kuR0AAAA[/URL]

gekomax

Hi there,
this is my new guitar made by a great Italian luthier. I'm gonna take it next sunday but I think it's gonna be a great musical gear.... If it's not a issue I put the web site and Facebook page's luthier links below:

https://www.legg-guitars.it/wp/

https://www.facebook.com/legguitars
cheers
Gekomax
8)

i started a thread here in case someone is interested:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34647.0

gearhound22

Some upgrades to my baby!
Steinberger tuners
New elevated dual mag/synth killswitch
Leg rest so you can play the thing sitting down
9v sustainiac wall wart power supply connector!

Hoping to entertain at a venue near you shortly!

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. 

CodeSmart

GKs13 install into a Eric Clapton signature strat (active pickups and added tonal possibilities)
Installation is reversible should I want to go back to original.
BOSS GK pickup sprayed with flat white paint.

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

mrz80

Another guitar has joined the ranks of the GK'ed, so I finally have a backup for if the Ibanez breaks a string halfway thru a song.  8)  A while back I found an absurdly good deal on a used GP-10/GK-3 set. I figure I can flip the GP-10 to pay for the pickup.  I just stuck it on my old Black Telecaster™, hooked it up to the SY-1000, and dialed in the scale and pickup-to-saddle distances. Happiness is!

Jesus freak, guitarist, luthier, bicyclist, ham (WA4UF)...
Turning every scrap of wood in the garage into Les Pauls, Telecasters, and 12 strings

AAT65

Improved mounting of GK-3 on my Jazzmaster thanks to this customised scratchplate from Tiny Tone, who made a great job of this.

mooncaine

Quote from: coincident on May 07, 2022, 02:49:26 PMTurns out there's basically nowhere to mount it where it won't interfere with the guitar's fantastic ergonomics.

I wish the pickups were modular: connected by cords that plug in, so that you could switch pickups or put the control wart behind the guitar or on a strap... or buy a longer cable if needed (or shorter)!

Quote from: coincident on May 07, 2022, 02:49:26 PM- tempted to either slant it a little more to get the bass side closer to bridge, or to get the treble side a little further to help even out sensitivity a little more... or... straighten the whole thing out for visual reasons...
I'm in love with your guitar because it's headless and it's got a radius & string spacing that (you say) matches the GK pickup!

My beloved Steinberger Spirit is too narrow for the GK2A, & radiused too flat, but a GK3's wart just won't work for me on that body shape.

Because it's too narrow, I angle the pickup. I wondered, which way is best to slant it? I opted to slant the traditional way, parallel with the Strat Stack bridge pickup I mounted... but later I thought, what if I had slanted it so that the high E was farthest away, instead of the low E? Would I get better sustain on the high E?

Then I remembered that I tried it with tape, a temp mounting. When I bend strings, the high E moves completely off the polepieces, even though the pickup slants. That kills sustain. Might be a concern for you, too. The low E isn't so susceptible because it's so loud, I suppose. I don't notice it dropping out. So it's the trad slant for me.

Rolloq

A vguitar Forums fellow helped to ge me to get a Roland GK-2A-KIT Guitar Synthesizer Driver Kit and i had a luthier to install  it.
Hagström ultra Black.You cannot view this attachment.
And a big thanks to that vguitar forum fellow.

Rolloq

pasha811

Quote from: Rolloq on September 02, 2022, 07:31:17 AMA vguitar Forums fellow helped to ge me to get a Roland GK-2A-KIT Guitar Synthesizer Driver Kit and i had a luthier to install  it this week.
Hagström ultra Black.You cannot view this attachment.

Rolloq

Very cool and clean job in stylish black! Enjoy!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Bowman42

New addition to my GK guitars, Schecter Sun valley with Sustainiac and internal GK3

arkieboy

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 26, 2022, 01:19:55 AMGKs13 install into a Eric Clapton signature strat (active pickups and added tonal possibilities)

I mimicked the mid boost in my SY1000 by using a parametric eq (500Hz, 25dB) and trigger it with S1 for banks programmed for my Strat.

(I'd still have the real thing though, lovely looking guitar!)
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

pasha811

Quote from: Bluesbird on October 28, 2022, 06:10:26 PMJust installed an external GK on my Squier Classic Vibe:

Very clean job. Great!
Did you have to raise the action to accommodate the GK?

chrissie_c

I just got this back from the luthier. It's a PRS Custom 24/SE with internal GK, Fernandes sustainer and I got him to put a JBJr in the 'empty' hole that the Fernandes leaves. This gives me a humbucker at the neck (ish). It has the Fernandes 5 way blade switch in it, so it's a proper 3-pickup guitar.

pasha811

Quote from: chrissie_c on May 03, 2023, 12:02:59 AM

I just got this back from the luthier. It's a PRS Custom 24/SE with internal GK, Fernandes sustainer and I got him to put a JBJr in the 'empty' hole that the Fernandes leaves. This gives me a humbucker at the neck (ish). It has the Fernandes 5 way blade switch in it, so it's a proper 3-pickup guitar.

Sweet! Great job.

paganskins

Quote from: AAT65 on August 21, 2022, 11:27:16 PM
Improved mounting of GK-3 on my Jazzmaster thanks to this customised scratchplate from Tiny Tone, who made a great job of this.

PM'd re your pickguard :)

pasha811

Quote from: CodeSmart on July 26, 2022, 01:19:55 AMGKs13 install into a Eric Clapton signature strat (active pickups and added tonal possibilities)

Super! What tools you used to cut the pickguard? It's such a perfect job!