Apple Warning re: Roland Extension

Started by concordal, March 19, 2023, 02:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

concordal

Recently Mac Ventura (13.x) has been popping up the following message window:

"Legacy System Extension

Existing software on your system loaded a system extension signed by "Roland Corporation" which will be incompatible with a future version of macOS. Contact the developer for support."

If you installed the Roland Driver before upgrading to Mac Ventura (13.x) Floorboard may be working for you now,  BUT the ominous message above warns of trouble ahead.

Not everyone can have a spare Mac running an older OS.

Is there a way we can put pressure on Roland?  Someone here recently posted that Roland had advised that the GR-55 was 10 years old.  While that is true, it is still being sold today!  Can't we convince them to support a product that is currently available for sale!? 

gumtown

Ha Ha !!  :) I do not see Roland changing any time soon, it's about time they used a unified Driver for their gear that only requires a small handful of item types to update.
the different drivers should only be:
midi, multi-channel midi, midi + stereo audio, midi + multi-channel audio.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

Great point on the unified driver, Colin. Some Arduino/Teensy libraries already support all Roland usb midi devices, by taking some shortcuts. For the audio, it may be a bit harder, but it should be possible right?

gumtown

Quote from: sixeight on March 24, 2023, 09:23:44 AMGreat point on the unified driver, Colin. Some Arduino/Teensy libraries already support all Roland usb midi devices, by taking some shortcuts. For the audio, it may be a bit harder, but it should be possible right?

Anything is possible if one puts in the time,
 the bigger problem will be the Certifying drivers for general distribution (Windows certified - I'm sure Mac OS has an equivalent scheme).
I read somewhere that if you write drivers for a vendors hardware, you must first seek permission from that vendor to have it certified with reference to the brand name.
Might be different for obsolete or abandoned USB hardware.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

HCarlH

I have a Mid-2012 Mac Mini (that I bought used about 5 years ago). It only goes to Catalina, so I am saving that for exactly this thing. My current Ableton Live and plugins all run on it and I'm happy with them. I'm using an M1/Ventura which runs everything else. At least Roland/BOSS finally updated a driver for the DR-880 drum Machine. The GR-55 is not long behind I hope.
GR-55 (or) Fishman TP + Kemper Profiling Rack -->> 
QSC K10 -->> FOH
Fender Squier Stratocaster Bullet (w/GK3), Ibanez AM93 (w/FTP pickup),  Stratocaster (w/FTP pickup)

Telecaster, Charvel SoCal ProMod, Gibson Les Paul, PV Wolfgang,