Wiring a Single String GK Output To Act As An Envelope Controlled Switch/Trigger

Started by luca9583, November 12, 2022, 06:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luca9583

Hi all

I'd like to achieve something specific. I want the lowest string's
envelope to control a coil split (on/off) of a regular humbucker so that it splits only when the powest string is played.

Is there a way i could take the lowest string output of a GK kit pickup and wire it somethingto  onboard the guitar that would trigger the coil split?

The long winded way is to use audio from the VG-99 and run only the lowest string through the right output into some kind of envelope to footswitch convertor and then feed that footswitch signal to a relay on the guitar to trigger the coil split.

I'm wondering if there's simpler, more mechanical method. Maybe rigging a drum trigger or similar to the string's bridge saddle? I also need this to be selectable so that the trigger can also be disabled.

Or maybe an extra onboard GK preamp could be added to take a split from the GK pickup and to power the trigger?

admin

Quote from: luca9583 on November 12, 2022, 06:22:37 PMHi all

I'd like to achieve something specific. I want the lowest string's
envelope to control a coil split (on/off) of a regular humbucker so that it splits only when the powest string is played.

Is there a way i could take the lowest string output of a GK kit pickup and wire it somethingto  onboard the guitar that would trigger the coil split?

The long winded way is to use audio from the VG-99 and run only the lowest string through the right output into some kind of envelope to footswitch convertor and then feed that footswitch signal to a relay on the guitar to trigger the coil split.

I'm wondering if there's simpler, more mechanical method. Maybe rigging a drum trigger or similar to the string's bridge saddle? I also need this to be selectable so that the trigger can also be disabled.

Or maybe an extra onboard GK preamp could be added to take a split from the GK pickup and to power the trigger?
VG-99 has an input level as Control Source

Could possibly assign that to Target COSM Pickup type

luca9583

Quote from: admin on November 12, 2022, 08:24:25 PMVG-99 has an input level as Control Source

Could possibly assign that to Target COSM Pickup type

Thanks yeah but i want to trigger the coil tap of a regular pickup, not the VG

admin

Could use a Hi-Z preamp to drive an audio level module like this

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-KA2284-Level-Indicator-Module/dp/B00LQEUDRO/ref=asc_df_B00LQEUDRO/

Then on one of the LEDs  could drive a FET acting as a guitar pickup coil grounding circuit to enter single coil mode.

luca9583

Thanks very much for this. Could i somehow make this work with the GK kit preamp? Not sure if there's a way to internally route a GK string signal to two outputs

AAT65

You could use a dedicated single-string pickup to detect the low string being plucked - something like this: http://ubertar.com/hexaphonic/one_and_two_string_pickups.html

You would still need a circuit to detect the vibration and trigger the single-coil function, but the main advantage would be you wouldn't need to interfere with the GK an installation at all.

Very hand-wavingly it would go
  Pickup -> Amplifier -> Rectifier & filter -> FET switch

luca9583

Quote from: AAT65 on December 10, 2022, 01:04:53 PMYou could use a dedicated single-string pickup to detect the low string being plucked - something like this: http://ubertar.com/hexaphonic/one_and_two_string_pickups.html

You would still need a circuit to detect the vibration and trigger the single-coil function, but the main advantage would be you wouldn't need to interfere with the GK an installation at all.

Very hand-wavingly it would go
  Pickup -> Amplifier -> Rectifier & filter -> FET switch

Thanks yeah i've tried Ubertar stuff in the past but i'm not sure if the string would be isolated enough as the crosstalk of the Ubertar hex pickup i tried recently was too much for Alt tunings to work properly.

I'm using two GK preamps for each of my 7 string guitars, so an extra mini GK single string sensor could be chopped from a GK3 as the trigger, and i could then use a spare preamp channel on the second onboard GK preamp for it.

After that i'd just need the right envelope detection circuit that could trigger the coil split.