Considering a SY-1000: will it ________?

Started by Flash6, November 08, 2022, 09:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flash6

I'm considering getting a SY-1000 and putting a GK-3 on my PRS SE Custom 24-08.

My primary use case will be for doing Praise/Worship music at church so I've been looking for the "does it all" solution that would let me do multiple things depending on who we have playing in the band on any given Sunday.

Here's my wish list of "things":

1) Good acoustic guitar sound (currently using an acoustic 12 string with sound hole pickup)
2) Background pad sounds (stringish, etc)
3) Overdriven electric guitar

Pretty sure the SY-1000 will do all of the above, but my question is could I do all three at the same time? For example, could I hold a pad sound or overdriven power chord and then layer a strumming acoustic over the top?

I've considered other options such as a Variax with Helix or a piezo equipped electric running 2 outputs but the demos I've heard of the acoustic models in the SY-1000 have me intrigued.  Not to mention that it would probably cost less than the other options I've considered.

Thanks for any direction y'all can provide!

Kevin M

The SY1000 has 3 instrument blocks, plus the ability to add in your guitars magnetic PU in its own path. This should easily meet your needs, but you will need to spend some time tweaking things to get the sounds you're looking for. Through assigns you can turn off/on any of the 3 instrument blocks, so there is a lot of flexibility.

Flash6

That sounds great. 

I was reading the manual regarding the hold function and it stated "This function will not work properly when two or more notes are played simultaneously". 

Anyone have any experience with this and is there a work-around to have it hold a chord?

abbaby

I cannot answer your question about the hold function. I had what poly chords hold but without a footswitch or special Hold function.
I find the Sy 1000 very pop-like rather than traditional. Or, it is like a Moog. I have not too much got into mine as the pre made banks are very intergalactic - very arpegiated. I have not tried the guitars - which I should, and I did not spend more than one day on the PC tweaking soundbanks - tho the PC interface is easy enough. For me, I like piano keys so I like the Gr55 however Sy does not seem to have that acoustic punch instrument to get the clavi key sound thing. Pads are nice on it though ...

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Flash6 on November 08, 2022, 12:14:19 PMThat sounds great. 

I was reading the manual regarding the hold function and it stated "This function will not work properly when two or more notes are played simultaneously". 

Anyone have any experience with this and is there a work-around to have it hold a chord?

The sound hold fx isn't that great and not polyphonic.
It's ok at times for holding a note but there's a bug.

But some of the synths have good polyphonic hold.
You can always use that with a good result.
A sinus OSC dynamic synth f.I. can substitute a guitar holding a chord especially if using distortion.
( I haven't tried if the input "osc" in the dynamic synth can use hold but I don't think so)
see p 25 parameters guide for different dynamic synth osc.

See also
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?msg=208427
for the different holds, they're somewhat left out in the manual and not easy to find.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch