Open Tuning Scale Diagram Automater

Started by Kebbel, July 25, 2022, 08:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kebbel

The VG-8 opens up open tuning, but that can create a problem ...

Stuck at home with Covid, I decided I would solve a problem I had with open tunings. If you're playing in G inside Open G, or D inside Open D, no problem. There are multiple versions of those scale diagrams on the internet. But what if you're playing in a different key inside those tunings?

I play "Wayfaring Stranger" in Dm inside an Open G tuning, and "Lonesome Valley" in C# inside an Open E tuning. I didn't find resources to help, and I was wrapping my head in knots trying to think out the scales in these alternate tunings so I could work up solos, SO THEN... I wrote the Javascript program at https://gospelbluesband.com/scaleShifter.html to automate scale creation. You choose the tuning and  key and press the button. Voila. The scale notes highlighted on the fretboard. Hope some of you can find it useful.

A sample scale is pictured below.

Kebbel

Absolutely gorgeous and 20 times more powerful than mine (I only used one scale). Didn't know yours existed. Will use it now that I know it exists.

lespauled

Thanks.  I'm sorry. I didn't read the full post.  I thought you were looking for something to help you.  I didn't mean to take the shine off of yours in any way.