G-808 Neck Dive?

Started by Chrismiami, June 20, 2022, 06:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrismiami

Hi,

I hope this is the right place for this question - DIY Hardware was my other option but that's mostly for electronics.

When I tried my G-808 with a strap, the neck was so divey I couldn't even play it! But when I hold it by the front strap hook, it's balanced perfectly!

Do you think the rear strap hook is poorly placed? Do you think a new fat fancy strap will help? How can the perfect balance be so drastically altered?

Thanks!
Chrissy

chrish

Try the fat strap. I got rid of my G303 because it was so heavy and awkward even to play sitting down. I use both a G505 with rose wood fret board and G202 which fit well.

IMO The 303 and 808 (guessing its the same) do have the best distortion circut out of all those G series guitars.

Chrismiami

No matter how big the strap is, attaching it to the rear strap hook pulls the rear end up and the neck dives!

I've started resting my arm on the body, but that's going to hamper my ability to dance on stage. 🫤

I wish it weren't a collector's item. I'd move the rear strap hook. How could they release this product without testing it? Has anyone asked Roland what to do about it?

gumbo

...could alway go 'cowboy' and get a (longer) strap that goes around the headstock, instead of mounting to the top bout....might take a little getting used to, but it would probably balance....   :D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Brak(E)man

It seems to me that this is a common problem which to me is weird but....
Not many guitars are built ergonomically.
You should try a fat strap with a non slide/"sticky" shoulder-surface.
Ibanez used to make some if I remember correctly.
(Just remembered that I need to get a couple.)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Antonuzzo

"I'm just using the Hamer now. I've got three of their mini Vees and I think I'm the only player in the world at the moment using them. The reason is probably because the balance is off since the bodies are so small. But what people don't realise is when you put a Nady wireless system on, it balances quite nicely. And a lot depends on what guitar strap you use. If you use a shiny one it slips, but if you've got leather to leather it doesn't move, even without the wireless." – K.K. Downing, Guitarist magazine, September 1988

So there's your answer! ;D

I had the same problem with my G77 and following K.K.'s advice, I found that a thick suede strap did actually make a huge difference. Which is good because, unlike the G808, you can't exactly play it sitting down...