SY-300- Any way to use CTL4, CTL5, and EXP at the same time?

Started by dandante, June 19, 2022, 05:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandante

Hi,

Is there any pedal/footswitch unit that works with the SY-300 that can control CTL4, CTL5, and EXP at the same time?

Or are there adaptors that will allow me to plug in 3 separate pedals into the single jack provided for CTL4/CTL5/EXP?

The manual cautions against using 3rd party pedals, but of course they are going to say that.
Is there anything out there that works?

TIA

admin

Use a third party  MIDI controller that provides foot switches and expression pedals

Morningstar MX6, MX8

dandante

Thanks for the reply.
Can you expand on that? I'm looking at the product page for the MC8 and it does not seem to have an expression pedal. But it looks like I can plug an expression pedal into it (I have a Roland EV-5). If I then put in a regular TRS patch cord between another one of the omniports on the mc8 and connect it to the SY-300, and I will be able to control CTL4, CTL5, and EXP? Or do I need to connect the MIDI out of the MC8 to the MIDI IN of the SY300? Just trying to figure out what cables I need to get along with it.

Is there any special programming required on the MC8? Or will it "just work"?

Coming at it another way, what are the SYSEX messages (if any) to send to the SY-300 to toggle and/or hold CTL4 and CTL5? I have done a bit of Python programming where I can control some aspects of the SY-300 from my computer but it isn't clear from the MIDI Implementation document what address to use to send a message that will toggle/hold CTL4 and CTL5. If I could figure that out, I could use any MIDI pedal to trigger a bit of code to send the appropriate message to the SY-300. But if I understand you right, I might be able to skip the middleman.

Is there some sort of MIDI standard (i.e. CC or program change messages, not SYSEX) that governs pedal toggle/hold information?

Thanks again.

dandante

I should expand a little bit on my immediate use case. I have a patch which someone programmed to use CTL4 and CTL5 (and not CTL1-CTL3)  but the only external pedal I have is an expression pedal. I just want to hear what the patch sounds like with CTL4 / CTL5 on (or off, I guess). Is there a way to turn those pedals on without actually having a pedal/footswitch?

In the long term I would be interested in buying some external pedals but right now I just want to hear how the patch changes when the pedals are used (without having the pedals).

The other option I thought of is to do a little JSON editing or programming to move all CTL4 settings to CTL1 and CTL5 settings to CTL2. 

And of course I can just manually adjust the SY-300 to make the changes that are assigned to CTL4 and CTL5 but that seems pretty tedious.

gumtown

CTL4 and CTL5 OR EXP, either but not both.

Re-configuring the CTL4/5 to CTL 2/3 won't take much time, use the Tone Studio editor
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Brak(E)man

Quote from: dandante on June 19, 2022, 07:00:39 PMIs there some sort of MIDI standard (i.e. CC or program change messages, not SYSEX) that governs pedal toggle/hold information?

You can use midi cc to assign to targets.
See attached
You cannot view this attachment.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

dandante

Thanks all. I accomplished my short term goal quite easily in a text editor, I did two (case-sensitive) global find and replaces in the .tsl file:
replace CTL4 with CTL1
replace CTL5 with CTL2

Then I reimported the tsl file into BOSS Tone Studio. I also needed to change the settings so CTL2 and CTL3 do not scroll between patches.

I'd still like clarification - if I got a MIDI pedal like the Morningstar suggested above, and connected it to the SY-300 with a midi cable, would I be able to use it as CTL4 CTL5 and EXP simultaneously? Wasn't sure from gumtown's answer above.

gumtown

The Morninstar midi controllers will do that, instead of using the CTL assigns, you would use the 6 Midi Assigns (per patch), and set the Assign midi control to match the same cc# midi control in the Morningstar.
So you can use the external midi EXP pedal and 5 foot switches of the Morningstar+ any extra switches/EXP you might use on the SY-300 itself.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/