Catalyst -Tips &Tricks

Started by admin, March 30, 2022, 12:20:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Catalyst Factory Reset
In the event that you want to return your CATALYST amplifier to factory settings, follow the steps below.

1. It is highly recommended that you first use the Backup/Restore feature found in the CATALYST Edit software to create a backup of your custom presets and settings.

2. Exit CATALYST Edit and disconnect your amplifier from the computer.

The following step will erase any and all edits you have made to your presets, effects, etc. in the amplifier. You did make that backup, right?

3. Hold down the CH B and MANUAL buttons on the front panel of your CATALYST while powering on the amplifier.

admin

Rear chassis view of Catalyst 100 , in middle of speaker swap test

Signal chain with FX RETURN in "FX LOOP" MODE is

GUITAR INPUT > PRE FX> AMP MODEL> FX SEND > FX RETURN > POST FX> MASTER VOL > Power Amp/Speaker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> CAB SIM > XLR OUT

Signal chain with FX RETURN is in "POWER AMP IN" MODE is

GUITAR INPUT > PRE FX> AMP MODEL> FX Loop SEND > POST FX > FX Loop RETURN > MASTER VOL > Power Amp/Speaker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> CAB SIM > XLR OUT

* When FX Return is in "POWER AMP IN" mode - there is a -6dB attenuation pad

The Cab Sim and MIC are configurable in the App and are only applied to the XLR OUT and Headphones, and USB Out

* The Boost is part of the AMP Block

The XLR Out has its own separate CAB selection and numerous Mics to choose from

No cracking on my XLR Output

I suspect those who reports crackling, have not set the correct gain on the receiving mixer channel

admin

This USB-C to USB-B cable works to connect Catalyst amp to Android Smartphone (Samsung S10+)  or iPad Pro , or Mac with USB-C (Thunderbolt)  to use Catalyst Editor app

Also instant USB Audio on Android 12

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B082HQ3LP2
This awesome. And impossible with bulk of Roland/Boss gear -like Katana

I use this cable and I instantly have a USB Audio connection from my Android phone or iPad Pro  - all apps with audio route to the Catalyst Amp , and I can hear 24bit stereo audio from Catalyst Headphone jack or 200 watts mono on Catalyst Speakers

For iphone/iPad IOS devices with Lightning ports

Use this cable

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09JZJ5B8W?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&tag=thegearpage05-20

admin

If you want to learn the Catalyst 4 In/ 4 Out USB Audio, must read the POD GO Owners Manual, start on page 39 and read about 4 in/4 out USB

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a406fe360b80f606a156/application/pdf/POD%20Go%201.20%20Owner's%20Manual%20-%20Rev%20D%20-%20English%20.pdf

Just swap "PODGo" for "Catalyst" on the instructions

On Catalyst

COMPUTER INPUT: USB 1 & 2  = OUTPUT OF CATALYST with All Processing

COMPUTER INPUT: USB 3 & 4  = CATALYST GUITAR INPUT. DRY IN,  for Re-Amping later.

COMPUTER OUTPUT: USB 1 & 2 = DAW Main Stereo Output , or YouTube Stereo Audio , for jamming to backing tracks on Catalyst Headphones or heard in Mono on Catalyst Guitar Speaker

COMPUTER OUTPUT: USB 3 & 4 = CATALYST INPUT BLOCK - For ReAmping

admin

I'm testing Catalyst XLR DI out into several types of targets ( QSC K10.2, Tascam Model 12)

I connected the Left XLR  Main Output of Tascam Model 12 mixer/recorder into a QSC K10.2, at Line Level , and rear vol pot on QSC at noon.

Connected Catalyst 200 XLR DI output into Tascam Model 12 mixer/recorder Channel 1 XLR Input set for Line Input , required the input trim to be lowered to 9:00 o clock , and observed Catalyst XLR Output has a wide signal level  range , depending on current Catalyst Active  Channel & Boost & Volume  settings - if you only inspect the signal level for clean tones, you may spike and clip the third party receiving XLR Input's preamp as soon as you enable a high gain setting on Catalyst - so always set this using your Catalyst on max gain /  solo setting -to avoid discovering you had clipping / distortion on your mixer Input

With the above setup,  I could move the Catalyst 200  rear Power Level control to "off", and then test the Catalyst built in CAB /Mic simulation which only feeds the Catalyst XLR Output

Very versatile setup with great tones -

On my Catalyst 200 XLR DI Output, I found I liked the 212 CAB with a 160 Ribbon mic sim -  alterering Mic sim types becomes a  key EQ element for the FOH PA XLR DI  feed for the  current venue size , volume and acoustics.

I could use the Catalyst  Boutique Channel with a small bit of Boost enabled, and had a very good singing tone at lower volume emerging from the QSC K10.2 - while the Catalyst internal Speakers were muted.

So Catalyst can be used on a silent stage with IEMs.

I found it versatile to set Catalyst 200  rear Power level to the 1 watt setting- then I could have a very low volume stage monitor for my guitar, to assist in sustain during record session or low volume gigs. For higher decibels,  I set Catalyst Power Output and Master Volume to my preffered level ( which do not alter the XLR Output levels )

I typically use Catalyst as a side fill amp, so as to minimize its impact on the FOH PA mix

The Catalyst Master Volume & Power Level settings  do not impact the "always on" XLR DI Out signal level -as this allows setting Master Vol and separate Output Power level control to suit the needs of the gig.

The Catalyst built in CAB /Mic simulation for it XLR DI Ouput is far superior vs the fixed Cab sim on the "Rec Out" jack on all Katana Amps

Much preferred the versatility of the Catalyst

I also had a Fender Mustang GTX 100, which I tested in same configuration above

I found the GTX 100 had a far more compressed sound on its XLR DI Output - far less signal level change between clean vs High gain solo patches- and while the GTX100 has far more built in FX, it took more effort to get it near the Catalyst - but ultimately GTX is prone to a shrill element in its processing , that takes work.

In regards to built in speaker tones. The GTX100 final EQ is always a compromise - with its fixed EQ curves with different labels

I could coax rounder full bodied tones from the Catalyst 200 -with far more dynamic range , and less compressed vs GTX100.

And I prefer the tone and feel of the Catalyst 200 vs any Katana or Vypyr or my old Vetta

In 2022, IMHO  Catalyst becomes the best sounding platform for demonstrating the Line-6 HX level Amp modeling

From my real world experience, it Much easier and faster  to dial in great guitar  tones I can use on my Catalyst 200 vs  using a Helix or HX Stomp into the a powered PA cab (QSC K10.2 )

Depending on the current guitar , the Catalyst "Boost" can be a love or hate ,

On some Amp models , enabling the Boost delivers a harsh experience - when that occurs I lower the Boost level, or rely on third party "Timmy clone, or Blues driver clone on my mini pedal board

Catalyst takes pedals very well

Also must pay attention to the FX & Reverb positions. I used a 12.9" iPad Pro running Catalyst Edit, and I could see everything on one page - very handy

And the big Tuner display on Catalyst Edit is very handy

By contrast on Mustang GTX using Fender Tone App- it's always several pressing of edit screens , and sadly they  removed the tuner on the tablet version of Fender Tone app (Mustang GTX editor)

admin

Tip to use Reverb Block as Footswitchable Boost

Dazco wrote>

I just figured out a way to get the amp to do the final function I needed w/o adding more outboard gear. This may be of interest to some others. I always have a volume boost with every amp i have. I'm not taslking boosting the front, but a post amp volume boost when i need to get a bit louder for certain things. I prefer delay to reverb so i am using the effects section for delay and since i don't need or want reverb, that is now my volume boost ! I go this idea when it hit me there is a level control in the reverb settings and i think on all effects in it actually. Anyways, it appears to be a overall volume level because some effects when turned on tend to cause the apparent patch volume to seem lower or higher, so that allows you to match the effect off and effect on volumes. So all i did was turn the reverb depth all the way down so theres no reverb and adjust the level up a couple db. I made a LED indicated switch (schematic courtesy of elantric) so now my reverb button is a volume boost ! So relieved, as this is a function i am used to and cant live w/o and there are other ways to accomplish it but not so simply and w/o adding devices or building things to go in the loop etc etc. Plus if you really wanted you could set it to pre instead of post and it would be a clean boost into the front of the amp to drive more OD out of it. Anyways, i thought this might be helpful to some.
For me it was a revelation. I used a friend's $25 behringer chorus pedal last nite and it was glorious. So getting one of those and with the delay and volume boost in the amp all my needs are finally covered. By the way, if u need a chorus try one of those. I tried 3 or 4 well respected chorus pedals a few years back and i swear this thing is the best sounding of them all. It's plastic but unless you put all your weight on it it should last.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-catalyst-modeling-combo.2333139/page-143#post-34821333

admin

Crow wrote>
So I haven't been entirely happy with the boosts in the Catalyst and saw someone post about using one of the effects in the "pre" position with the output raised as a volume boost. I tried this using the transistor tape which I understand is based on the Echoplex? Not sure if that's true, but I set it to "pre" with the mix at list 25% and all controls at 0 except for the headroom which I left at 12db and the level which I set at 3db. Sounded great and is just the type of boost I was looking for! Pretty transparent but seems to add some harmonic complexity. Am I basically like creating a EP booster by doing this?

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-catalyst-modeling-combo.2333139/page-148#post-34921652

admin

This video covers MIDI CONTROL of Catalyst

dazco

Heres a tip that i just found but i'm not 100% sure my ears aren't F'ing with me so i'd like to see what anyone else thinks. Seems the volume control in each patch for leveling the patches ("CH VOL") does more than changing the patches volume but also affects the tone. I had all my patches at about 50% on the CH VOL but i found that similar to a master volume on a tube amp, when cranked all the way it adds some grit and harmonic content. I tried comparing them, turning the physical master on the amp to compensate so both ways were the same apparent volume and i think the tone is quite notably better with the CH VOl cranked. I also compensated with the patch gain because it adds a tad of that so i tended to need to lower gain when CH VOL was on 10 for some models at least.
Anyone else find this too, or willing to try it and see what u think? If i decide it does sound better like this i would just set it to 10 for the patches that are lowest volume compared to others, then lower the CH VOl on the others to match. Shouldn't have to lower those much so it should lose the benefits. like to hear what others think.

admin

Quote from: dazco on July 19, 2022, 09:54:06 AMHeres a tip that i just found but i'm not 100% sure my ears aren't F'ing with me so i'd like to see what anyone else thinks. Seems the volume control in each patch for leveling the patches ("CH VOL") does more than changing the patches volume but also affects the tone. I had all my patches at about 50% on the CH VOL but i found that similar to a master volume on a tube amp, when cranked all the way it adds some grit and harmonic content. I tried comparing them, turning the physical master on the amp to compensate so both ways were the same apparent volume and i think the tone is quite notably better with the CH VOl cranked. I also compensated with the patch gain because it adds a tad of that so i tended to need to lower gain when CH VOL was on 10 for some models at least.
Anyone else find this too, or willing to try it and see what u think? If i decide it does sound better like this i would just set it to 10 for the patches that are lowest volume compared to others, then lower the CH VOl on the others to match. Shouldn't have to lower those much so it should lose the benefits. like to hear what others think.

Confirmed on mine, CH Volume position  does change the tone and grit and feel of the amp , rather like a tube amp master volume,  cranking CH Volume above noon adds more " power amp type distortion , noticed it since day #1

I suspect the Catalyst employs Class AB power Amps ( like Flextone III, Marshall MG, Katana MKI, MKII, which yield more tube like response and feel, vs "the cold Class D icePower  power amps ( Mustang GT) which are clinically faithful regardless of volume "

dazco

Quote from: admin on July 19, 2022, 10:29:12 AMConfirmed on mine, CH Volume position  does change the tone and grit and feel of the amp , rather like a tube amp master volume,  cranking CH Volume above noon adds more " power amp type distortion , noticed it since day #1

I suspect the Catalyst employs Class AB power Amps ( like Flextone III, Marshall MG, Katana MKI, MKII, which yield more tube like response and feel, vs "the cold Class D icePower  power amps ( Mustang GT) which are clinically faithful regardless of volume "

Thanks for confirming that, as i never trust my ears till i've had enough time with something. By the way, i have been A/B'ing the GTX next to the Cat lately and there is a VERY obvious mid thing going on i wasn't aware of before because your ears get accustomed to a sound. But now i realize it's what i was trying to dial out w/o realizing it. It's a low mid thing but also has a nasal quality. When u compare to the Cat it becomes dead obvious and one of those things u can't unhear. It has me soured on the GTX tone because i cannot dial it out easily and it makes me much prefer the Cat. (even trying many cabs i could not remove it) But i tried pumping the GTX DI thru the cats return (with GTX cab set to none of course) and that obnoxious mid thing is gone ! It's apparently in the GTX power amp. So thats where the Cat's superiority is coming from i think. I also think it's where the GTX's brightness is coming from because put thru the Cat's return it's hard to get enough brightness from the GTX models, the exact opposite i hear using the GTX by itself.

admin

Agreed, I now hear the odd midrange thing on Mustang GTX  as well

Just to confuse even more, been testing a 2011 era Vox VT80+, with a closed back 12"  celestion  all in one combo - more low end  thump than any open back  and  uses a TI TAS5615 Class D 120 watt Power Amp  with power scaling, and 12AX7A Valvetronics which actually impacts the play feel  and works with 5 button Vox footcontroller and built-in tuner. Could actually gig with only this setup alone. Prefer it over a katana

I suspect the Catalyst 100 / 200 employs same  TI TAS5615 Class D  Power Amp

I've become the local amp repairman and been playing / repairing many types of amps,  all makes/ models

dazco

It's so odd how that works when you get used to a sound and don't hear something so major till you A/B it ! I've noticed it many times in the past with all sorts of gear when A/B'ing. Makes me wonder how much of what i didn't like in the CAT initially was actually speaker break in or me becoming used to it ! Maybe what i was hearing initially was me MISSING that midrange weirdness in the GTX because i was so used to it. Hearing, tone....it's all such a strange thing.

admin

Quote from: dazco on July 19, 2022, 12:45:12 PMIt's so odd how that works when you get used to a sound and don't hear something so major till you A/B it ! I've noticed it many times in the past with all sorts of gear when A/B'ing. Makes me wonder how much of what i didn't like in the CAT initially was actually speaker break in or me becoming used to it ! Maybe what i was hearing initially was me MISSING that midrange weirdness in the GTX because i was so used to it. Hearing, tone....it's all such a strange thing.

We subconsciously form opinion on great amp tone and play feel based on length of exposure and hours using a specific amp

Even back in the early 70s, I was used to a 1966 Fender Blackface Bassman head cranked on Vol "8"  Treble "7", Bass "3" - work my tone using my Gibson SG with P90s  Bridge PU Vol=10, neck PU vol= 4, get crunch rhythm by PU Selector on Both pickups - no FX pedals

When offered to use a Marshall 100 watt bass head with four KT88s , I hated it, because it was too loud and clean for the venue room and none of my known tone strategies I used with the 40 watt Fender head  worked.

Of course by the time I was service manager at valley arts 1980-86, I had access to every top guitar amp in LA , and I experienced a few landmark  " new #1  amp " in LA evolutions , from Fender/Boogie, Yamaha G100, Dean Markley Tube amps, Soldano, Rivera, Dumble, VHT, Fryette - as always find an amp that works best for the volume and venue you play most -best  home low volume amps are seldom best big venue amps, but lately I just place amp side fill , and mic it into the FOH PA. 20 watt tube amp with master vol on "4" and a mini pedal board . With enough decibels  where  I can get infinite sustain when I place my guitar headstock on the amp speaker cabinet. I'm fine. Lower volume than that becomes a chore

dazco

I used to go to valley arts back in the day when jennifer batten was teaching there. I hated it when they moved then closed not long after if memory serves. Those were great days tho....so many great shops in L.A. till the internet came along and killed em all. I could spend hours in guitar guitar alone!

The weird thing about the way our ears seem to acclimate to a given sound is that it happens with some EQ curves but not others. In the case of the GTX i was quite happy with it for a long time, as my ears "acclimated" to that mid thing. Yet other amps i just never acclimate to and they go out the door.  I guess maybe it depends on the particular frequencies that are prominent. One thing is for sure....if i lived to be 500 years old i have no doubt i'd still be puzzled by guitar tone and human hearing.

dazco

At this point i would strongly suggest to anyone with a catalyst thats into classic rock and blues especially to try diming the CH volume in the patch and using the physical master and the attenuator when needed for getting the exact volume you need. After a few days like this it's really become obvious how much improvement it's made, especially when i go back to the way i previously used it. Been liking this amp more the the GTX before i discovered this tweak, but now it's not even close. Anyone who uses the kind of tones i do at least, and has a GTX, trust me, this beats the pants off the GTX with one processor tied behind it's back. Play thru mine set how i have it and you will almost certainly be ordering one. I was going to keep the GTX but now i'm thinking of selling it. It's no longer a fair fight and i can't see myself wanting to play it anymore. I'm getting a sound from the catalyst that makes me wanna play all day and i just might if not for the neighbors. Cant wait to try it in the band and see if much of the improvement translates in a band mix.

Elantric

Loopy Pro (iPad) Template for MIDI Control of Catalyst amp

https://www.dropbox.com/s/36uxltol7pky4ct/Template%20Catalyst%20V2.lpproj?dl=0

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-catalyst-modeling-combo.2333139/post-37222280

Lunaman06 wrote>
Just started on electric guitar.(have some decades ago played blues on acoustic, and during the pandemic dabbled with piano, keyboard.)
Catalyst 60 is my first amp together with a SC (that allows with switch between humbucker and single coil).

The best thing for beginners of this amp is it multi purpose features and how easy the things are to control and to setup.
Connecting it to a Tablet turns it to a Jam, Learnstation easily.

After 2 weeks, I run the USB into iPad paired with BT Footcontroller(MVave) and LoopyPro.

* The catalyst acts as audio interface, amp and Loudspeaker.
* Loopy acts as Midi Host where the FootController controls the looper, backing clips and switches the effects, boost, presets in the catalyst.

Now if I want to practice, jam or play along things. The initial setup just takes a few seconds. Connect the iPad, open the loopy import the clips, Dail in a close enough sounds and start.

I currently have no ear for what sounds like xyz, but I like the sounds I get out of it.