Unable to get good metal tone even with patches

Started by vwillrocku, March 06, 2022, 07:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vwillrocku

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I bought a Katana 50 MkII few months ago and trying to get some modern metal lead sound, like Arch Enemy's War Eternal solo part or Takayoshi Ohmura sound (). It means more upfront, smooth and not so thin tone. But no matters how I change the combination of channel types, boosters, EQ etc, what I can get is distant voice and harsh high in high gain. One day I found a  Katana patch called "Metal Collection 1" as this is exactly what I like for a metal sound (https://soundcloud.com/boss-corporation/sets/metal-collection).  However after the patch was installed in Tone Central, the actual sound is very different even I used a Ibanez RG and a Strandberg Prog. I would like to know if Katana is possible to produce these kinds of tones?
Thanks for your help and have a nice day.

Brent Flash

admin

Feed Katana REC out into the PA for best Metal tones

Due to physics, The Katana Head into Closed Back Katana 212 cab works much better vs any other Katana open back combo amp, including all Artist models.

vwillrocku

1. Thanks for your advice a lot. I didn't notice the downloaded patch can be tuned by Katana Head with cab.
2. Let me connect a headphone to try it one more time.  It struggles when recording with USB.
3. From my limited experience, Katana 50 is excellent from clean to blues and everything in between. It also shines with Metallica, Pantera or extreme metal even with rough high and high mid. But it is quite hard to get smooth and clear high gain hard rock/metal tone.

Quote from: admin on March 06, 2022, 09:42:46 AM
Feed Katana REC out into the PA for best Metal tones

Due to physics, The Katana Head into Closed Back Katana 212 cab works much better vs any other Katana open back combo amp, including all Artist models.

vwillrocku

Just plugged in my headphone to the headphone out on back panel, the sound remains quite similar to the the tone coming from loudspeaker or USB recording. So it is still unable to get my desire sound. I am thinking if the sound I want is can only be tuned by mixing rather than directly out of the amp.   

sikejsudjek

Quite possibly. What sounds good with the guitar on its own is entirely different from what sounds good in a mix ! If someone got the sound you want with the soundcloud samples, it obviously can be done. The problem is that guitar pickups, input gain etc are all different. So the patches might be a good starting point to edit, but from my experience sound very different with my guitars from the sound samples. They always need some sort of tweaking unless you are lucky and have similar gear to the person who programmed the patch.