Boss GX-100

Started by admin, February 27, 2022, 05:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philjynx

Seconds into Alex Hutchings video I noticed four pots (or encoders, who knows?) set higher than and very close to footswitches one and two. A broken unit waiting to happen, doubt the warranty would cover that.

Smash

Quote from: admin on March 02, 2022, 10:37:47 AM
Headrush MX-5 experienced a major price increase

$499
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MX5--headrush-mx5-amp-modeling-guitar-effect-processor?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organicpla

Not in UK - £398 GBP

The GX100 will translate to 599 GBP as always happens. It's going to need to not gas out early on block usage to compete

gumtown

I feel that the GX-100 sales will eventually out sell the GT-1000,
the GX has a lot of appeal, more than the GT-1000.
Finally breaking away from the fixed choice "FX" block, and allowing freedom of choice in effect selections.

Congratulations Boss, finally a winner !!! (IMO, YMMV)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumtown

Up to 9 instances of the same effect,
up to 2 Amps, 1 divider/mixer, 1 Master, 1 Send/Return
20 Assigns.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Quote from: gumtown on March 03, 2022, 12:44:32 PM
Up to 9 instances of the same effect,
up to 2 Amps, 1 divider/mixer, 1 Master, 1 Send/Return
20 Assigns.

With any luck,  GT-1000 firmware update might narrow the gap

But I will complain about the Looper implementation, 

Other MFX today have much better integrated Loopers beyond the GX-100 38 seconds (stereo)
(Big Headrush,  Kemper Stage, Helix, GE300, can access a great looper at anytime, no pre-programming required

And GX-100 has zero TRS balanced outputs,  no XLR Out

And I REALLY MISS THE STEREO AUX INPUT that vanished on Boss gear after 2017

They did provide a ground lift for the mono FX Loop

Magic Russ

I was comparing the manuals between the two.

Instead of all the drives being grouped together, now they are grouped into fuzz, boost, overdrive, distortion, and metal pedals.  So now Fuzz contains the same 3 fuzzes, etc.

Sitar Sim, Humanizer, and Slicer are no longer there.  Also a few of the delay models like the Binson, DD-20, SDE-2000 are no longer there.  Also the chorus no longer has the CE-1 modes.  GX has ducking parameters on the delay now.

Reverb, Chorus, Flanger and Phaser have simple and Prime versions.

The GX has a new Script Phaser.  Unfortunately it doesn't have the 117E flanger they added to the Katana (yet).

Smash

Would it be right to assume the prime versions of effects use more hp?

Mono send return. Really? Ack!

No humaniser- boo! No talk box patches.

But pretty much everything else you could ever want is there.

Free block assign big step forward

Touch screen big catch up

15 IRs is plenty.

Andertons said there's nothing else in that price range to compete with - I think that's because competitors are cheaper frankly.

Was impressed by the twin comparison.

Clearly capable of great sounds.

But there's always the spectre of support.

At a lower price I might look at chopping out the MX5.

yotarzan

This new unit looks amazing.
Do you know if it has a polyphonic shifter?

I wish Boss would've used the same form factor and switches as the Mooer GE300, but I like Boss' GT /GX tones and effects better.

aliensporebomb

Reading this thread I see people totally have a misconception about what this is supposed to do.

This isn't a guitar synthesizer nor is it a virtual guitar box.

It's a GT-100 replacement that uses the tech of the GT-1000/GT-1000 core.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Smash

Quote from: aliensporebomb on March 04, 2022, 06:46:04 AM
Reading this thread I see people totally have a misconception about what this is supposed to do.

This isn't a guitar synthesizer nor is it a virtual guitar box.

It's a GT-100 replacement that uses the tech of the GT-1000/GT-1000 core.

Just been back over and no one's mentioned either synth or guitar modelling on this thread?

admin

Antonuzzo

I almost had an aneurysm trying to read that.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: admin on March 03, 2022, 01:05:10 PM
And I REALLY MISS THE STEREO AUX INPUT that vanished on Boss gear after 2017
+ 1
It went away with SY-300 right ?

I'm hoping this unit will lead to a lower secondhand price for a lightly used gt-1000.
They're already at 1/2-3/4 of new units.
I have no use for touch or colour screens but I could use a GT-1000 ( at least that's what I keep telling me )
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: admin on March 05, 2022, 03:47:21 AM

https://m.facebook.com/groups/VGuitarForums/permalink/1928153634240713/?comment_id=1929216767467733

That guy is an idiot. He spits out the same crap all the time calling the sy-1000 a noise maker and crap. He's old and cranky and just don't understand nothing and won't put no time into anything to learn either. Best to ignore him.

Jim Williams

I am impressed that Roland/Boss are listening to the community comments about the user interface, but they have fallen short once again. I'm not pulling any punches, but that touch interface is just enough to say they have one. The pathetic attempt to fool you all with some eye candy just goes to show you how stupid they think we are. If they wanted to compete with other units make new features and improved effects. The boss reverbs are a bit dated, and they just dumped the same amps on us again. They don't have any routing features for series, parallel or wet dry mixes. I can't believe that they think 16 IR slots was enough when cabs are a huge part of good tone. Boss, give us something a real guitarist can use for years to come. I own many modelers and Boss has a long way to go before it is even a competitor. Let's all stop buying gear just because it is the newest model and buy from companies that give you what you want.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Smash

Quote from: admin on March 05, 2022, 03:47:21 AM

https://m.facebook.com/groups/VGuitarForums/permalink/1928153634240713/?comment_id=1929216767467733

That's not on this thread!!!! Which is why I wondered what Todd was aiming at. In this thread people only cw other MFX

admin

Quote from: Jim Williams on March 05, 2022, 08:50:19 AM
I am impressed that Roland/Boss are listening to the community comments about the user interface, but they have fallen short once again. I'm not pulling any punches, but that touch interface is just enough to say they have one. The pathetic attempt to fool you all with some eye candy just goes to show you how stupid they think we are. If they wanted to compete with other units make new features and improved effects. The boss reverbs are a bit dated, and they just dumped the same amps on us again. They don't have any routing features for series, parallel or wet dry mixes. I can't believe that they think 16 IR slots was enough when cabs are a huge part of good tone. Boss, give us something a real guitarist can use for years to come. I own many modelers and Boss has a long way to go before it is even a competitor. Let's all stop buying gear just because it is the newest model and buy from companies that give you what you want.

In 2022, the complete lack of USB Audio Class Compliant mode on GX-100  preventing expansion with IOS becomes a deal breaker for many

Old 2008 Boss  GT-10 and Roland  VG-99 still have a USB Audio Class Compliant  mode - which makes Those far  more attractive for lots of folks

philjynx

This USB business with Boss is farcical. All Teensy boards can be class compliant whatever you like and they're around £30 or so. Boss ought to have a chat with Paul Stoffgregen.

admin

Quote from: philjynx on March 05, 2022, 02:48:38 PM
This USB business with Boss is farcical. All Teensy boards can be class compliant whatever you like and they're around £30 or so. Boss ought to have a chat with Paul Stoffgregen.

I guess the Roland engineers involved with creating  the USB 2.0 Audio spec retired years ago. And the importance of providing new gear with USB Class Compliance is lost today - when new Boss RC-600 already has a USB Class Compliant mode

Sadly they left it off the GX-100

Guitar MFX with 24 bit stereo USB Auidio I/O
- Fractal AXEFX II, AXE-FXIII
- Line -6 Helix , HX Stomp
- Neural Quad Core
- Headrush Pedal Board, Gigboard. MX -5
- NUX MG-30, MG-300
- Hotone Ampero

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: admin on March 05, 2022, 03:28:07 PM
I guess the Roland engineers involved with creating  the USB 2.0 Audio spec retired years ago. And the importance of providing new gear with USB Class Compliance is lost today - when new Boss RC-600 already has a USB Class Compliant mode

Sadly they left it off the GX-100

Guitar MFX with 24 bit stereo USB Auidio I/O
- Fractal AXEFX II, AXE-FXIII
- Line -6 Helix , HX Stomp
- Neural Quad Core
- Headrush Pedal Board, Gigboard. MX -5
- NUX MG-30, MG-300
- Hotone Ampero

Mooer ge300 too, not sure about the 250 etc..

admin

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on March 05, 2022, 04:30:26 PM
Mooer ge300 too, not sure about the 250 etc..

But Mooer GE300 is locked out on IOS - not functional as USB Audio Interface for any iPhone/iPad
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26308.0

Antonuzzo

Quote from: Jim Williams on March 05, 2022, 08:50:19 AM

I have to agree.

My earlier comment about predicting the parameters on the amp and distortion models was only partly in jest. Those models are getting very long in the tooth now, and the fact that they're all bolstered to the same parameters indicates that they're sharing algorithmic DNA that goes right back to the VG-8.

Take the Rat, for example. A big part of that pedal's power is its incredibly versatile filter knob; very small tweaks can make massive changes to the sound. Every Boss emulation omits this and the result isn't even close to what the original sounds like. Ditto the Guv'nor – I have an original unit and again, there's no comparison.

The amps are another case in point. Aside from the AIRD models, it's still the same tired old bunch. No HiWatts, no Supros, no Princetons. Clearly, Roland has no appetite for construction in this area.

I'm finding that every new Roland / Boss guitar product is a disappointment. Sure the bit rate goes up, as does the frequency response, but that's not going to matter too much in a mix or a live environment. What's lacking is actual innovation – touch screens and multiple instances of blocks have been done by other manufacturers, but those other manufacturers also bring new features to table. There's nothing truly new on the GX-100, certainly when you compare it to things like the synth capabilities of the GE-300, or the continual updates that Line 6 provide.

In fact, it's easier to list the things that are missing from the GX-100 that have been present on earlier models: monosynths, pitch-to-MIDI, sitar emulations, models for Mu-tron and Rockman – even the bass offerings are perfunctory, even compared to ancient units like the V-Bass.

Quote from: admin on March 05, 2022, 01:48:48 PM
In 2022, the complete lack of USB Audio Class Compliant mode on GX-100  preventing expansion with IOS becomes a deal breaker for many

Old 2008 Boss  GT-10 and Roland  VG-99 still have a USB Audio Class Compliant  mode - which makes Those far  more attractive for lots of folks

And there's simply no excuse for this. This has been a major headache with the Roland Boutique synths too – even the recent JD-08 and JX-08 require dedicated drivers (and you'll often need a separate driver for each synth).

The final insult is the bluetooth capability: it's there as long as you're willing to fork out £55 for an additional module. Aside from the price gouging, it's another thing that can get lost or go wrong.

To my mind, the VG-99 was the pinnacle of what Roland achieved in the guitar arena. I still use it regularly, but I've mostly moved over to the Helix as my main workhorse. The models are accurate, it's a doddle to edit, and the regular updates are a million miles away from Roland's 'Sire and Forget' approach.

When I first saw the GX-100, I'll admit that it gave me a touch of GAS. Now the specs are out in full, all I'm feeling is indigestion.

Boisdelac

I don't think Boss did themselves a favor by naming the new Boss multi-effect "The GX100".

There is already a GX100... from Ibanez ....

admin

Quote from: Boisdelac on March 06, 2022, 04:05:14 AM
I don't think Boss did themselves a favor by naming the new Boss multi-effect "The GX100".

There is already a GX100... from Ibanez ....

Ibanez GX100 Amp

It's also
* Takamine Explorer guitar
*  Bandai Divine Demon-Dragon Gaiking toy
* Toyota Cresta
* Honda lawnmower engine

https://www.google.com/search?q=gX-100&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&prmd=isvn&sxsrf=APq-WBsHCzAcdxjcFW9zV9P0uTTDPVINBg:1646569374351&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj5uZ_1vLH2AhWYJUQIHRguBTQQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=412&bih=724&dpr=2.63