SY-1000 V Guitar Emulation?

Started by michaiel, February 04, 2022, 07:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaiel

Does the SY-1000 emulate guitars and the tunings available like the VG-99 and GP-10?

Thanks

arkieboy

Yes

But there are some models and capabilities MIA from the VG99.  Nothing that bothers me at the moment but YMMV.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

michaiel

Could you let me know what is MIA compared to the other units?

I ask because I would like an addition/replacement for my VG-99 and GP-10 moving forward.
I primarily use them for the guitar emulations and alternate tunings.
I have also looked at the GR-55 as well IF it will also do this.

admin

Why not review each models parameter guide. Owners Manual and determine what works for you

michaiel

Quote from: admin on February 04, 2022, 07:49:53 AM
Why not review each models parameter guide. Owners Manual and determine what works for you

I have them in front of me now, but the SY-1000 doesn't explain a guitar emulation list or a description
The GR-55 has a brief description of 18 acoustic and 18 electric guitars "number of tones" and page 30 does have the instrument details.

I thought maybe someone here has compared the VG and GP guitars with the SY and GR units and could let me know if something was absent, better or worse tracking, etc...
The GR appears to be complete as far as I can tell...

michaiel

Good grief...I haven't seen that page yet...thanks for the heads up

Evidently I downloaded the "Owners" Manual instead "Reference" Manual...

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the SY and GR other than the brand name and the price difference of $150.00?

admin

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/clearing-up-roland-midi-guitar-synth-modeling-confusion/

Clearing up the Roland "MIDI" guitar / synth / modeling confusion.
Article #945 Updated on Apr 27, 2007 at 12:00 AM
We seem to encounter a good deal of ongoing confusion about Roland's guitar synthesizers, in particular the hex pickup (GK-2A, GK-3), and how it relates to other products, including some of Roland's more recent modeling products. Here's a brief overview.The Roland GK-2A/GK-3 pickup is NOT a MIDI pickup. It simply contains six humbucking pickups – one per string.A Guitar with a GK-2A or a "GK Ready" 13-pin output equipped guitar is NOT a MIDI guitar.Any guitar with a 13-pin output (Godin, Brian Moore, Fender, Ibanez, etc.) is NOT a MIDI guitar. They are "GK ready" guitars. Meaning they can be used with GR-33s, VG-88s, VGA-7s, GR-55, GP-10, VG-99. SY-1000 and other 13-pin compatible products. There have been some guitars made over the years with actual MIDI outputs (meaning they had to convert the signal to MIDI in the guitar), but for the most part they haven't worked that well or been very popular. They cannot be used with modeling products like Roland's VG-8s, VG-88s, VGA-7s, GR-55, GP-10, VG-99 , SY-1000, etc.The GR-33 guitar synthesizer converts the GK-2A's analog output to MIDI. Remember the GR-33 makes it MIDI, not the GK-2A. In the old days (older products) this conversion was somewhat slow, but it has dramatically improved over time. When you hear people refer to "triggering time," (aka, Latency) they are talking about the speed with which the pitch of the string is converted to MIDI data or a data format that can trigger a synthesizer. When you listen to the output of the GR-33 synthesizer you are hearing sample based synthesis triggered directly by what you are playing/triggering on the "GK ready" guitar.The VG-8/88 and VGA-7, SY-1000 are modeling products and require no type of conversion to use the output of the GK-2A or any GK ready instrument. This means there is NO triggering and there is no MIDI note data. The VG's use the output of the GK-2A and then filter any harmonics other than the fundamental frequency. The VG's and Boss GP-10. SY-1000 then use Roland's DSP. Modeling to construct various guitar sounds, alternate tunings, amplifiers, speakers, effects, etc. based on the actual string sound coming from the instrument. When you listen to the output of the VGUITAR  System (VG'99. GP-10, SY-1000) you are hearing DSP Modeling applied to the output from the GK-2A pickup. There is NO conversion to MIDI. Consequently it is actually possible for different guitars to sound slightly different in terms of the modeling features due to inherent differences in their sound, and how it reacts with the specific modeling being applied. In most instances, however, these differences are very subtle.

arkieboy

Quite a lot actually.

The GR55 is a regular pitch detection Roland guitar synth.  It has PCM emulation sounds - samples essentially - but with sampled synth waveforms so with the filters you can get some regular synth sounds.  But essentially it excels at being able to sound somewhat like other real instruments, and all of the synth sounds exhibit a detection delay, especially on the lower strings.

The SY1000 has a pitch detection virtual analogue synthesiser - the OSC synth - that is better featured than the GR55 for being a pure synthesiser, but it has no samples.  It also has a 'dynamic synth' which like the VG99 reshapes the waveform of the string itself to create filtered analogue synthesiser waves without any perceptible delay, but at a higher fidelity.  With care you can convince people that a VG99 is an old style analogue synthesiser but it has limitations - the SY1000 is much better at this and can easily fool someone into thinking you have an analogue polysynth.

So, innovative, creative sounds with the ultimate playing experience for your ambient or progressive music - SY1000.  String pad, quick sax solo for your covers band if you don't have a keys player - GR55.

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

michaiel

Quote from: arkieboy on February 04, 2022, 08:50:59 AM
Quite a lot actually.

The GR55 is a regular pitch detection Roland guitar synth.  It has PCM emulation sounds - samples essentially - but with sampled synth waveforms so with the filters you can get some regular synth sounds.  But essentially it excels at being able to sound somewhat like other real instruments, and all of the synth sounds exhibit a detection delay, especially on the lower strings.

The SY1000 has a pitch detection virtual analogue synthesiser - the OSC synth - that is better featured than the GR55 for being a pure synthesiser, but it has no samples.  It also has a 'dynamic synth' which like the VG99 reshapes the waveform of the string itself to create filtered analogue synthesiser waves without any perceptible delay, but at a higher fidelity.  With care you can convince people that a VG99 is an old style analogue synthesiser but it has limitations - the SY1000 is much better at this and can easily fool someone into thinking you have an analogue polysynth.

So, innovative, creative sounds with the ultimate playing experience for your ambient or progressive music - SY1000.  String pad, quick sax solo for your covers band if you don't have a keys player - GR55.

Thank you for the clarification...this is what I was trying to establish the difference of...excellent explanation...

VGRando

Quote from: arkieboy on February 04, 2022, 08:50:59 AM

I own the GR 55, GP-10 and GR-33, but not the SY yet.  But I believe the SY also has superior amp and effect modeling than the GR/GP as it has some of the GT-1000 tech rather than the GT-100 tech for the GR/GP.
MIJ F Strat w/GK-2, G LP w/GK-3, Epi Explorer w/FTP, SY-1000, GR-55, GP-10, GR-33

arkieboy

Quote from: VGRando on February 04, 2022, 01:50:25 PM
I own the GR 55, GP-10 and GR-33, but not the SY yet.  But I believe the SY also has superior amp and effect modeling than the GR/GP as it has some of the GT-1000 tech rather than the GT-100 tech for the GR/GP.

It does.  I find it easier to get good sounds out of my SY than my Helix too.  I used to use a 99 and my LT and the SY has replaced both of them.