I'm a variax user, I got the GR-55 & now the VG Strat & it's the best out of all

Started by clayman, January 26, 2022, 04:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

Wanted to try to get some new gear. Was curious about other modeling technology other than the Variax.

I saw extensive videos on the GR-55 and VG Strat. I decided to pick them both up because I found them cheap on ebay.

I got the GR-55 first in the mail, and I was a bit underwhelmed. I was worried the VG strat was going to sound not very good.

I got the VG Strat today, and I can say, that is sounds amazing to me. I switch between the magnetics and the Strat model, and it sounds like 99% the same. Maybe slightly less low end, but it sounds like the magnetic pickups on the guitar. The dynamics sound absolutely spot on. Maybe my 69s Variax magnetics sound different than this Strat's magnetics? Maybe more treble, so maybe that's why using the Roland pickup with the modeling on the GR-55 sound worse than my JTV 69s? Maybe I need to adjust the pickup better. I haven't checked the height of the strings from the pickup like the setting suggests. Maybe I didn't place it in the optimal position on my JTV 69s.

All I know is, I turn on the modeling on the VG Strat and it sounds real to me. It sounds like a real guitar. There's no weird anomalies that make me go "This ain't right" or "That's not what a Strat/Tele/Humbucker is supposed to sound like". Sounds all authentic, like you can throw this anywhere and no one would ask if it's modeling or not.

The acoustics are kinda bland though. It's a nice feature, but it's always been the weak point of the VG stuff. I suppose you can't beat piezos when it comes to modeling acoustics, but for electrics, a magnetic pickup sounds absolutely real, because it is real, it's the same pick up as any other pick up on an electric guitar, just right at the bridge, with small humbuckers, and maybe less wire wraps?

The down tuning, I think it's better than the Variax as well. No weird noises. Mosty at least. It does get muddy, but if I throw an EQ in front, it sounds great. I can make this thing chug for metal just fine. B standard, sounds absolutely great. Just put on Fab Filter in front and boost some highs, and it cleans it up.

The Variax, it doesn't get as muddy, but it gets quacky sounding, because of the piezos. You try to use it with a metal setting and it starts to quack, or it doesn't sound tight enough. I probably need to change the piezos on my guitar at this point because I think it corroded and made the E string quackier, but still, the VG sounds better regardless.

I still like my Variax for it's suite of sounds, but I'm definitely happy with this guitar. It's a real Strat, with modeling, and I couldn't be happier. (Unless it had more models and tunings!)

martindholmes

I've had a VG Strat since they came out, and it's my favourite guitar for all-round flexibility. The humbucker sounds are fabulous. I wish it had more alternate tunings, though. I'm having fun inventing tunings with my GR-55.

chrish

Its fairly common to mix a bit of the mags with the model for best tone results.