USB read error issue after changing usb routing due to using midi switcher pedal

Started by guitarnoodle, January 21, 2022, 12:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarnoodle

hi there, pretty much as in the subject. I have a midi mouse from tech21nyc, so i inactivated the patch up /down buttons on the sy300, so they could be used as effect on off switches, for programming.

everything was going fine until i tried loading another sound from my library, so basically i could have more patches with more ctl 2 and ctl 3 switches made active for effect switching per preset.

so, what happened when i tried loading a different preset, and this mind you is while i have the midi mouse connected to the midi in of the sy300 while usb is active and still working at this point.

what happened was, when i switched the sound on the software [boss tone studio for sy300], the software created an error message, telling me to switch the sound on the actual unit, which i did, but this did not help matters.

next, i looked at the usb routing method to see if maybe, THAT would help. ha ha ha.... it made it impossible to reconnect the software anymore. The error display on Boss Tone Studio for SY300 says 'usb connection failure. Please select external MIDI/AUDIO device connection.

at least,,,?? I still have the memory of the hours of tweaks i made on my floor pedal [sy300] but, for all intents and purposes, i can no longer access or use the software, even after going into the physical unit and switching it back from my errant selection of 'resynth' on the software, back, to 'standard', on the physical units usb section [from hitting menu first]. I think i figured doing that, would let me select and edit while using the midi switching pedal i have hooked into it, but of course, i dont really understand what resynth does, so i gambled, and apparently it was a very poor choice.

what goes on now when i try to load the software [i have the most recent version of the tone studio and driver, i have a mac 10.14 and its always worked fine till my very annoying mistake today], is the software displays an error message, to ask me to show the midi and audio connections. I confirm its 'sy300', but. it shows up again. So basically I have to close it all out.

I did try actually downloading a completely different copy of the software and drivers, in hopes to get around this kinda big problem, but to no avail. can any thing be done?

i guess its good i still have the physical option to edit, but it takes longer and well, i usually keep my pedals on the floor so. i thought id never have to squat down but looks like thats gonna be happening a lot more now : /

basically, the boss tone studio, i think, still believes i am in resynth mode, because once i did that, i couldn't get back on the software, to switch it back. i could, in side the physical synth itself , but now it wont connect to the software any longer.  RIP

BROCKSTAR

I know this may sound stupid but did you reboot your computer too? Sometimes all it takes is rebooting the computer and retrying. You'll be surprised how many people don't do that sometimes lol.

guitarnoodle

update - yeah works fine now. hey there!

basically, the sy wouldnt power down so i cold unplugged it then replugged, all the other stuff in too, then turn the software back on again. works fine. and, i can switch patches now on the BTS software like i wanted originally, too, with the tech21 hooked to midi in.

yeah i guess BTS can be buggy sometimes, hoping for an update but not holding my breath. i have other synths but for guitar this is my main one.

admin

It's seldom mentioned , but avoid running Boss Tone Studio. While also running external MIDI Controllers

BTS  is a resource bandwidth hog for all Boss MFX CPU. And error conditions as you have experienced are common
(Side note , folks who complain long patch change time occurs GT-1000, SY-1000, SY-300, were basing their opinion on running BTS at same time as live performance-never do that )

SY-300 Recovery steps are:

Perform a full SY-300  System Restore
https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205748215-SY-300-Factory-Reset

Reinstall the SY-300 USB driver for your OS , and read the included README.HTM FILE

READ THE MANUAL FOR BOSS TONE STUDIO for SY-300

Page 1 inform  which SY-300 MIDI I/O Connections to use

Do not use SY-300 DAW CONTROL for connecting BTS