Roland 50 anniversary

Started by bosetuno, January 20, 2022, 11:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonuzzo

Comprehensive! There are a lot of bits of kit in there that I never knew existed. I now have an urge to learn to play the cajon.

That concept grand piano is insane.

BROCKSTAR

I understand they can't fit all of it in there but they left out some important things like vg-99, sy-300 / sy-1000 which i think should have been included.... But they added that new boss guitar...

pasha811

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on January 21, 2022, 04:42:15 AM
I understand they can't fit all of it in there but they left out some important things like vg-99, sy-300 / sy-1000 which i think should have been included.... But they added that new boss guitar...

The HEXA Conspiracy 8)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

whippinpost91850

Interesting, they left out all Guit Synth products between GR700 and GR55  ???

admin

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on January 21, 2022, 07:59:51 AM

Shows how insignificant our VGuitar ecosystem is to Roland Corps top Management they make far more business selling large format  vinyl sign printers
https://www.rolanddga.com/applications/signmaking

I figure after Aure closed www.VG-8.com in 2006. if we had not created vguitarforums.com, in 2008 - and our annual communications with Yoshi Ikegami during several years of NAMM.  there would have never been a GP-10, or SY-1000

Antonuzzo

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on January 21, 2022, 07:59:51 AM

Given the vast range of Roland products that there have been over the years, I guess they wanted to cover as many bases as possible. I think they got it right, leaning towards products that really broke new ground. The VG-99 was / is an incredible bit of kit, but I remember jaws dropping when the VG-8 was launched: there had simply been nothing like that ever before. The same thing happened when Yamaha launched the VL-1; physical modelling is commonplace now but at the time it was revolutionary.

So it makes sense that they hailed the D-50, for example, but not the D-70, the W-30 but not the S-10, and so on.

Rest assured, there are probably people from every sector growling about omissions ("What? Where's the U-220??")

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: Antonuzzo on January 21, 2022, 08:31:51 AM
Given the vast range of Roland products that there have been over the years, I guess they wanted to cover as many bases as possible. I think they got it right, leaning towards products that really broke new ground. The VG-99 was / is an incredible bit of kit, but I remember jaws dropping when the VG-8 was launched: there had simply been nothing like that ever before. The same thing happened when Yamaha launched the VL-1; physical modelling is commonplace now but at the time it was revolutionary.

So it makes sense that they hailed the D-50, for example, but not the D-70, the W-30 but not the S-10, and so on.

Rest assured, there are probably people from every sector growling about omissions ("What? Where's the U-220??")

If it's about breaking ground then the SY-300 should be there for sure as there was nothing really like that until 2015. We had other things here and there like ehx stuff but nothing like what the sy-300 can do.

mchad

Reading through that feature there's some genuine game changers there. Hats off to Roland/Boss for bringing those tools to the masses.

Maybe this year we get something that continues that theme.

Antonuzzo

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on January 21, 2022, 08:41:40 AM
If it's about breaking ground then the SY-300 should be there for sure as there was nothing really like that until 2015. We had other things here and there like ehx stuff but nothing like what the sy-300 can do.

Well, the SY-1 offered polyphonic synthesis from a normal input, and the GT-3 had a sequencer of sorts. And Roland got the ball rolling with oscillator-based synthesis in the '70s.

The SY-300 was more of an evolution than an innovation.

admin

Quote from: Antonuzzo on January 22, 2022, 02:29:37 AM
Well, the SY-1 offered polyphonic synthesis from a normal input, and the GT-3 had a sequencer of sorts. And Roland got the ball rolling with oscillator-based synthesis in the '70s.

The SY-300 was more of an evolution than an innovation.
But SY-300 arrived several years before SY-1