SY1000 BASS MODE: E Bass Models Sound Weird

Started by stub, January 07, 2022, 11:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

I've only been using the Ac Bass simulation with my fretless and it's AMAZING. However, whenever I've pulled up the electric bass models, I'm surprised by how strange it sounds. The high-end has a big spike and it just sounds weird and unusable.

I'm generally pretty happy with the mags and variety of sounds on my fretless bass, so it's not a big issue; but I would like to know if there's just something I've not done right-- and why it sound fine with the ac bass, but the e-basses sound so wrong.

It's an Ibanez 5-string fretless, with a GK3B installed "externally".

I haven't tried a bunch of different profiles with the pickup settings. I was expecting that choosing the GK3B and setting all the other things accurately would be enough.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'll post examples when bring my rig home after this show closes in a few days.

Kevin M

I haven't noticed that. I have one based on a patch that's named something like OD bass (could be some other name).  It has just a bit of gain, and I tuned it to a baritone scale.  It seems fine to me.

admin

Quote from: stub on January 07, 2022, 11:23:00 AM
I've only been using the Ac Bass simulation with my fretless and it's AMAZING. However, whenever I've pulled up the electric bass models, I'm surprised by how strange it sounds. The high-end has a big spike and it just sounds weird and unusable.

I'm generally pretty happy with the mags and variety of sounds on my fretless bass, so it's not a big issue; but I would like to know if there's just something I've not done right-- and why it sound fine with the ac bass, but the e-basses sound so wrong.

It's an Ibanez 5-string fretless, with a GK3B installed "externally".

I haven't tried a bunch of different profiles with the pickup settings. I was expecting that choosing the GK3B and setting all the other things accurately would be enough.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'll post examples when bring my rig home after this show closes in a few days.

What is your amplification system?

What you describe is common if you feed front input on Bass Amp

gumtown

Not noticed that myself,
I have an assortment of basses with GK-3B, with internal kits, and one with a GK-3 for narrow string spacing.
My main beaters are Fender Jazz V am deluxe for gigs and a Squire equivalent for practices, all are fretted.
So maybe a fretless thing?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stub

I know most of you understand this, but just to be clear, I'm not talking about simulating bass in guitar mode. I'm talking about the e-basses in BASS MODE.

Quote from: admin on January 07, 2022, 12:22:02 PM
What is your amplification system?

What you describe is common if you feed front input on Bass Amp

Its the same issue through cans or if I feed through a pretty neutral bass amp setting. I've tried some different amps, but it's clear the amp model is neither the problem nor the solution.

Quote from: gumtown on January 07, 2022, 02:05:31 PM
So maybe a fretless thing?

I suppose that's possible, but the EQ/spectrum just sounds so goofy as to make me think it can't be something that "subtle". I'll post examples ASAP.

admin

Quote from: stub on January 07, 2022, 02:46:11 PM
I know most of you understand this, but just to be clear, I'm not talking about simulating bass in guitar mode. I'm talking about the e-basses in BASS MODE.

Its the same issue through cans or if I feed through a pretty neutral bass amp setting. I've tried some different amps, but it's clear the amp model is neither the problem nor the solution.

I suppose that's possible, but the EQ/spectrum just sounds so goofy as to make me think it can't be something that "subtle". I'll post examples ASAP.

Verify you have correct GK settings for GK PU distance from bridge  placement measurement and entered correct instrument scale length. All impact the SY-1000 modeled instrument tones

fokof

I don't have that problem either.
If you post an example , we'll be more able to help !

Quote from: stub on January 07, 2022, 11:23:00 AM
I'll post examples when bring my rig home after this show closes in a few days.

You are very lucky to still be doing shows while that Omicron tsunami is there !
What country are you in ?

stub

Quote from: fokof on January 08, 2022, 08:44:21 AM
You are very lucky to still be doing shows while that Omicron tsunami is there !
What country are you in ?

I'm in the U.S. but in a town that is "demographically predisposed" to be vaccinated & masked. We did have to cancel shows when we had a few positives at the theater, but we're able to close the show (actually tonight).

Quote from: admin on January 07, 2022, 03:03:49 PM
Verify you have correct GK settings for GK PU distance from bridge  placement measurement and entered correct instrument scale length. All impact the SY-1000 modeled instrument tones

The only unusual thing with my build was that I removed the GK3B from it's metal enclosure, so it's just the naked pickups under the strings. The distance from the strings maybe a factor, or perhaps the GK3B setting is expecting more high-end loss from the aluminum cover.