Uilleann Pipes

Started by Nobulusprime, December 23, 2021, 03:03:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobulusprime

OK, so here's Uilleann Pipe Patch you can use this to ring in the new year! Let's hope that Omicron will bring a natural end to this pandemic! It uses 3 Dynamic Synths, one is the chanter, one the drone and one a string pad for ambience. Lot's of LFO action in this one, modulating the pitch to make it go slightly out of tune

Main chanter (INST1) - volume controlled by the GK volume (*start with GK volume down) the chanter is also turned on when you hit CTL 1 (see below)
Drones held when you hit CTL 1 which turns on the main chanter (remember volume down) or hit CTL1 to mute them before playing

Strings held when you hit footswitch 3 or hit footswitch 3 to mute them before playing - they do actually sound quite good doubled with the main chanter too.

CTL 2 adds LFO modulation (square wave) to the chanter to produce that trill style vibrato.
For bends I used extra sustain on Gear Grinder. It works really well with a Fernandez sustainer too.

Inspired by the recent passing of Paddy Maloney of the Chieftains. Listening to him play made me think 'could it be done on the SY1000?' well sort of...

Example 1 is the part of the famous Braveheart soundtrack and that also uses a Dynamic synth bass I knocked up quickly, everything else is in the patch. Probably one of the more famous uses of the Irish Pipes in a film about Scotland!

Example 2 was my first exposure to the Uilleann pipes via Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn and the late great Paddy Maloney - This is stripped back so you can hear it in more detail (just chanter and drones) Done in one quick pass - I really should add the acoustic guitar - I might do that....

jassy

So Beautiful sound, thanks for sharing!
Feel the same about the Omicron, let's hope it's the last one.

chrish

Another great patch.

Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn was certainly a trippy album that I played til it was worn out. And after all that, he ends with a light hearted tune.

"Big brown beastie big brown face, I rather be with you then to fly through space."

gvidelock

Thanks for sharing! It's a lot of fun to play.
-------------------------

Godin Spectrum SA
Godin Freeway SA
Fender Telecaster with Ghost and Hexpander
Fender Stratocaster with internal GK3 with Synth-Linx
Warmoth custom with internal GK3
Boss SY-1000
Roland GR-55
Roland GP-10
Katana 100W Head

pasha811

Great Patch and Sound!
Hopefully you're right about The Omicron, even if I think that with this politicians... well... ok... shut up.
Back to SY1000 every sound challenge is passed with full score! This means that there's a lot of hidden power in the machine for the braves to discover and illuminate the others on the path to synthesis!

Thanks so much!
Next week I will try one...
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

CodeSmart

Thanks for sharing Sean. Good tip to use the GX-2 for getting some extra sustain.
Hope to play with it soon.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

whippinpost91850

Awesome tone. Thanks for sharing

Harry1227

It really sounds very authentic. Thank you for sharing.

mrz80

WOW that is AMAZING.  This could be the single sound that pushes me to ditch the GP-10 and buy an SY-1000 :D :D
Jesus freak, guitarist, luthier, bicyclist, ham (WA4UF)...
Turning every scrap of wood in the garage into Les Pauls, Telecasters, and 12 strings

EarthToJonFrancis

What's normally a disadvantage with ghost saddles really works in favor of this patch. An aggressive trill adds the shake and stutter ornamentation that I love in Celtic music. Apologies for the peaks.

mrz80

I did, in fact, buy an SY-1000, and this sound fits precisely in with what I was needing for one of the songs we're doing on Easter Sunday (Christ Is Risen He Is Risen Indeed).  Instrumental intro, chorus melody, and little fills between the verses, all on th' pipes, transitioning to an TubeScreamer-into-Matchless-on-11 patch for the crunchy power chords for the last chorus and the extended coda. Fun stuff! :D
Jesus freak, guitarist, luthier, bicyclist, ham (WA4UF)...
Turning every scrap of wood in the garage into Les Pauls, Telecasters, and 12 strings

Thecass

I've been just looking for uilleann pipes and here you have an amazing patch .

Many thanks