FRFR - Interesting and refreshing video with some flaws.

Started by arkieboy, December 11, 2021, 03:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkieboy

I'm not sure about his comments about the Line 6 speakers - getting the best out of them requires you to adjust the way you use your modeller, and there are a number of other claims early on in the video that I would describe as 'tabloid journalism' - broad generalisations that verge on misrepresentation.

But I find it interesting that the two lower range speakers and his preferred RCF model are all dual concentric, like that other speaker that gets consistently good reviews, the Atomic CLR (I've not checked the spec on others). 

Have we now achieved consensus for FRFR rigs that the gold standard is dual concentric?

(ed: oh, and vid sponsored by RCF)
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

admin

Since I can't hear above 12k. The Kemper Kone remains my fave -zero crossover =zero crossover phase distortion

In most situations,  one could substitute the closed back Cube 80XL for a Kemper Kab and have similar experience

whippinpost91850

Shingles

Quote from: arkieboy on December 11, 2021, 03:49:17 PM

I'm not sure about his comments about the Line 6 speakers - getting the best out of them requires you to adjust the way you use your modeller, and there are a number of other claims early on in the video that I would describe as 'tabloid journalism' - broad generalisations that verge on misrepresentation.

But I find it interesting that the two lower range speakers and his preferred RCF model are all dual concentric, like that other speaker that gets consistently good reviews, the Atomic CLR (I've not checked the spec on others). 

Have we now achieved consensus for FRFR rigs that the gold standard is dual concentric?

(ed: oh, and vid sponsored by RCF)

I'm sure it's my own deficiency but I could barely stand 38 seconds of that, let alone 38 minutes.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

arkieboy

Quote from: Shingles on December 13, 2021, 03:07:40 PM
I'm sure it's my own deficiency but I could barely stand 38 seconds of that, let alone 38 minutes.

I did skip lots of it too.  Mainly the playing :-)
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4