SY 1000 with normal input question

Started by fanoftheliving, November 26, 2021, 10:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fanoftheliving

Hello - I just purchased the SY-1000 after having spent some time with the SY300.  I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere - very noob question.

I am creating a patch using normal instrument setting.  If I select SAW in the waveform block in INST1 and write the patch it reverts to SIN.  No matter what waveform i select, it reverts to SIN.  Sometimes I can get it to "stick" but I am not sure what steps I happen to take.

Am I missing something, is there a setting I am not setting up correctly?

Sorry for the noob question, and thank you.

jozart

It sounds like you're not really writing the patch.

Did you use the [1] knob to select the save-destination (U01-1–U50-4)? And then press WRITE again?

See pg. 18 in owner's manual.

fanoftheliving

Thank you so much for the quick reply.  I believe I am writing the patch - I tried both the hardware write button AND the editor.

If I use the software editor (windows)  I can see that when I click Write button the screen grays out, but I can see suddenly during the save process the waveform changes to SIN during the save process.

If I use the hardware WRITE button, yes, I select the 1 knob to write to the U50-2 memory location.  The words "Executing" appear as expected, and yet the waveform comes back to SIN.

I feel reallu St@@@pid, I am sure I am not seeing something, thank you for your help.

admin

There are bugs with Boss Tone Studio

I program on the unit ( no editor)

fanoftheliving

This seems to be correct.  I tried using the aftermarket SY 1000 editor (also seriously buggy) but with that editor saving the waveform seems to persist.  It's very annoying - I never program anything complex on hardware using the knobs - my back is not that good.

This one seems to be a very serious bug (if this is indeed what the issue is).

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

fanoftheliving

The version is 1.07 (I should have led with that).

Here is the video of what I am experiencing:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dUBZ6wKV_pVjn7Enh_IGqq0wE5fR0DDH/view?usp=sharing

This is the same issue if I simply hit the "WRITE" button on the device.  I am almost sure that I am missing some setting, how can it not work properly from the device itself?

I would also add that if I change the oscillator to SAW, the device definitely responds appropriately, I can hear the SAW wave generated by INST1 with a regular 1/4 inch guitar input.

Thank you all in advance.

chrish

gumtown

I see from your video the patch is not over-writing patch slot User 50:2
The patch name remains the same.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

fanoftheliving

1.  I am not changing the patch name - just the oscillator. 
2.  I believe this is the behavior for ALL normal instrument patches using the SY 1000 patch editor OR the hardware WRITE button.  The GK based patches I think are working as expected.
3.  If I use the Linux version of the SY 1000 floor software (https://sourceforge.net/projects/sy1000floorboard/), the SAW persists correctly
4.  If I use the MAC version of the same (3) it works fine as well

I wasted a lot of time on trying to figure this out. 

I am certainly at a loss...

fanoftheliving

Perhaps this will help someone.  I reached out to Roland, and they did write back to me, reproduced here:

Thanks for reaching out and contacting Roland BOSS USA Operational Product Support about the SY-1000 and BTS for SY-1000 app.
Thank you for reporting this issue and providing a clear video this issue/bug.
We were able to recreate the issue and will forward it to our Product Management team and Boss SY-1000 engineers for review.
Looks like the only work around is to set the OSC wave forms manually on the SY-1000 and Write/save when not connected to the software editor.
Please standby and we'll follow up with you to confirm a future update fix for this issue.

Kind regards
Roland Customer Support

Tosh

Thanks for the detailed info on this issue!

I am a Mac user; I can report that "sometimes" I have had this issue with Tone Studio, but I think I narrowed it down to my clumsy use of the track pad. When I click to select a field, then use Up/Down arrows to change the value in the field (rather that click+drag) I get the correct results and settings are saved.

Seems to be a Windows/Tone Studio bug.