GR-55 - The Cool List (fav features and how to use them)

Started by tracy, March 05, 2011, 02:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Practus

Quote from: DjSon on February 19, 2012, 12:28:49 AM

Is it possible to do the same with a USB cable and a DAW that supports MIDI in and OUT?

I know that this was posted long ago (and you've probably discovered that yourself), but it is not possible. Sadly, we cannot feed midi signals to the GR-55 trough USB...only through the midi ports...
Red Ibanez RG150 (with GK-3 and Fernandes Sustainer FSK-101)
Honey Burst Epiphone LP Standard
Black Fender Standard Strat "a la Blackie"
POD HD500
GR-55
FRFR KRK Rokit 5 Monitors

Elantric

QuoteI know that this was posted long ago (and you've probably discovered that yourself), but it is not possible. Sadly, we cannot feed midi signals to the GR-55 trough USB...only through the midi ports...

Actually the GR-55 does support MIDI over USB. This is one method Gumtown employs to control the GR-55 with his GR-55 Floorboard Editor.

But to address your question, the GR-55 Internal PCM synths do not respond to external MIDI Note On / Off messages- either received via 5 pin MIDI connection or USB connection.

Refer to the GR-55 MIDI Implementation below, and see the MIDI Note Number is Not Recognized - regardless of the physical connection.

gumtown

One interesting thing i have found with the GR-55 midi is the USB midi and 5 pin midi ports work independantly and concurrently.
So you can have external controllers connecting through both the 5-pin and USB midi at the same time.
I would also suspect the GR-55 guitar out midi would send through both midi ports too.
As we know the GR-55 will not accept incoming midi note data, it has been internally disabled delibrerately.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

williar

Fantastic cover of Abbey Road B-Side, one of my favourite pieces of music and you do a great version.

Cheer

Rich