Best Expression Pedal to use with SY-1000

Started by ILIADE, October 14, 2021, 01:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIADE

Hi guys -- I am about to buy a SY-1000 and was wondering what was your recommendation for an expression pedal. I used to have a GP-10 and was mainly using the pedal as a volume pedal but now I need to get an external one. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Chris

admin

Roland EV-5 ( easy to carry  lightweight, but durable)

Roland EV-30 -a bit more durable, has dual control TRS out jacks, can pan between 2 Boss Processors

Kevin M

I use a Boss FV500H. It's a nice heavy duty pedal.

ILIADE

Thank you guys for the quick response. For the FV-500, why choosing the H version instead of the L?

Chris

arkieboy

IIRC both FC500s have a separate expression output that is the same.

The H is mono, and is high impedance for working with guitar-level signals.

The L is stereo and is suited for working with keyboard-level signals.

I guess it depends on what else you might want to use the pedal for as to which you buy.

Steve

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Kevin M

Quote from: arkieboy on October 15, 2021, 07:41:22 AM
IIRC both FC500s have a separate expression output that is the same.

The H is mono, and is high impedance for working with guitar-level signals.

The L is stereo and is suited for working with keyboard-level signals.

I guess it depends on what else you might want to use the pedal for as to which you buy.

Steve

Yes, exactly. I think, technically either version will work with the SY1000, though.

jozart

I use a FV-50L with TRS cable for EXP2.

I use EV-30 for EXP1.

I also plan to use the EV-1-WL with BLE MIDI when it ships. I have a BLE MIDI adapter attached to the 5-pin DIN MIDI connections.

Harry1227

Hello. I use a Chinese pedal Sonicake. I've improved its functionality by installing the button. So I use it as an expression pedal with a switch (Exp1 and ctl 3 or 4)

ILIADE

Thanks everyone, I think I'll go with the EV30. Another quick question while I'm waiting after my SY-1000 to be delivered... I also have a GP-100 and was wandering if I should keep it or not. Assuming I keep it (as far as I know, the SY-1000 don't have a looper), how would you connect the 2? I use a GK3 pickup with my Les Paul.

Thanks again, your suggestions and inputs are very helpful!

Chris

gumtown

GT-100 ?
I would place it in the SY-1000 Send/return loop.
The loop can be moved around the SY signal chain, so you can loop at any section of the SY.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

ILIADE

Love this forum! Is there a way to use the expression pedal of my GT-100 with the SY-1000? Might be a stupid question but I have to ask 😉

Kevin M

Quote from: christiandubuc on October 16, 2021, 09:54:04 AM
Love this forum! Is there a way to use the expression pedal of my GT-100 with the SY-1000? Might be a stupid question but I have to ask 😉

Yes, there is. The GT-100 can send expression pedal information vie MIDI CC messages. Check both products' respective manuals for details.

drjoness2001

I uploaded a YouTube video with a comparison of various pedal used with the SY-1000:

https://www.joness.com/gr300/sy-1000-expression-pedal-roland-ev-5_boss-ev-30_moog-ep-3_mission-engineering-sp-1.html

Roland EV-5
Boss EV-30
Moog EP-3
Mission Engineering SP-1

ILIADE

So you mean from SY-1000 SEND to GT-100 RETURN and from GT-100 SEND to SY-1000 RETURN?

Or from SY-1000 SEND to GT-100 INPUT and from GT-100 OUTPUT to SY-1000 RETURN?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Quote from: gumtown on October 15, 2021, 02:49:04 PM
GT-100 ?
I would place it in the SY-1000 Send/return loop.
The loop can be moved around the SY signal chain, so you can loop at any section of the SY.

DeRigueur

You probably want to go from the SY send to the Gt100 input and the Gt100 output to the SY return.
You may need to adjust levels between the 2 units.
Fender GC-1 -- Boss SY-1000 -- Alto TS112A

gumtown

Quote from: DeRigueur on April 03, 2022, 06:51:58 PM
You probably want to go from the SY send to the Gt100 input and the Gt100 output to the SY return.
You may need to adjust levels between the 2 units.

This !!
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/