Boss GT-1 wah function kinda sorta doesn't wah

Started by buduranus2, October 12, 2021, 10:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buduranus2

I'm enjoying my new GT-1 and can navigate it quite comfortably. The issue I'm having pertains to the Wah function. Specifically, it acts as if it's a Wah-Volume hybrid. That is to say, when the pedal is all the way forward it kind of wahs, but when the pedal is all the way back the volume cuts out completely. In between, there's not the typical sweep associated with a Wah pedal. I calibrated the pedal twice per the menu instructions and set the "toe switch" to a level sufficient to enable the pedal without too much pressure. The status indicator LED comes on when the function is engaged, but, as I said, it barely wahs and it cuts out completely when the pedal is all the way back. I've also gone into the device settings for the Wah function to no avail. In all sincerity, I think it's a product malfunction, although user error is always a possibility. Any guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

admin

1st Backup any user patches using Boss Tone Studio

Then perform a full System Reset -which clears memory back to factory settings
https://seventrumpet.com/how-to-reset-boss-gt-1-guitar-multi-effects-pedal-to-default-settings/

buduranus2

Well, so far so good. I was able to install and open Boss Tone Studio for GT-1 and get it to recognize my GT-1. Using the Librarian function I backed up all my user patches. I found documentation detailing how to restore the patches once I restore the GT-1 to factory default settings. My question is can I restore the GT-1 to factory settings while Boss Tone Studio is open and the GT-1 patches are visible or do I need to quit out of Boss Tone Studio, reset the device and then restart Boss Tone Studio to restore the patches? Hope I made myself clear and thanks for your guidance.

gumtown

It would be best to exit out of Tone Studio, then perform the factory reset.
Start Tone Studio after the reset so the GT-1 and Tone Studio will be "in sync".

Check the EXP pedal function menu, check that it has not been set to "SYSTEM FOOT VOLUME" as that would cause the issue you have.
Set the Pedal Function to "PATCH", that will stop the Foot Volume from over riding any other pedal function assigns.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

rolfay

Check the assigns / CTRL settings; it sounds like you have a double assignment somewhere. If you set an assign to control the wah, but don't turn off the volume CTRL or assign, you would get this symptom. The pedal is controlling the wah AND the volume at the same time. I made this error loads of times building patches on the VG99.

buduranus2

First, many thanks for your replies and suggestions. To recap, I was able to install the Boss Tone Studio software and backup my existing patches. Next, I did a system reset to put the unit back to its original state. Then I was able to drag the old patches back onto the GT-1. Plugged it in and...same problem. Rather than fiddle with the old patches I recreated one of them from scratch in a new memory location. Hey, the wah works! Rolfay, your suggestion to see if there's a conflicting assign was helpful, although I'm not sure it applies here. It's a good one to remember, though. In closing, many thanks to all of you! p.s. I'm a left-footed stomper and right-footed wah-waher. Can I use an FS-7 to increment/decrement patches?

buduranus2

Quote from: gumtown on October 12, 2021, 09:31:43 PM
Check the EXP pedal function menu, check that it has not been set to "SYSTEM FOOT VOLUME" as that would cause the issue you have. Set the Pedal Function to "PATCH", that will stop the Foot Volume from over riding any other pedal function assigns.

Hey!!! After all that I went back into one of my original patches and changed the Pedal Function to pedal/FX. Took care of the whole problem. Appreciate you!