BANK PROGRAM CHANGE AND YAMAHA MOTIF RACK (CLASSIC)

Started by fusion99, October 10, 2021, 05:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fusion99

Hi guys.

This is my "problem". I bought a Yamaha motif rack (first edition) and connected to Axon 100 MKII midi out. Yamaha has a GM bank , no. 5 Bank presets and No. 2 User Presets. By default if I change the voices on the Axon, Yamaha changes its voices on GM bank. What I'd like to do, of course, is to play the USER bank presets on Yamaha while changing the voices on the Axon, but I failed. I tried to change the values within the AXON GLOBAL section and in UTLITY section with NRP .... and putting the correct MSB and LSB that are suggested in YAMAHA DATA LIST MANUAL (in my case for the USER bank should be MSB 63 and LSB 05 but it doesn't work. In my Kurzweil PC2R rack I have the possibility to recall the User bank instead of the GM presets but in Yamaha there is no possibility to make a preference of Bank presets to be recalled. I Tried also to manually change the Bank presets on Yamaha, putting the user  one, but if I change the voice on Axon, automatically the Yamaha goes on GM voices.
For sure I'm doing something wrong on the Axon , that's why I'm asking if someone has ever used the Yamaha Motif rack connected to the Axon and if someone can show me , step-by-step the eventual procedure to recall the banks I'd like to use on other expanders.  Thanks in advance, Rudy from Italy 

gearhound22

Hi I use both. Are you using the editor or the front panel?
Get a simple midi to usb device like the roland UM-ONE, only problem is you will need a and extra midi device to check the changes real time....I can explain more on this later.

Editor makes it very simple
When you scroll through presets they are normally just stock 0-127 of GM
Under the presets tab Make sure the "send notes" is on
Controller "program" is blue then put in which patch number (0-127) then the Bank MSB and the LSB
Let me know if you need anymore help

Here is some notes I keep

Motif
-------------------
PRE1 MSB 63 LSB 0
PRE2 MSB 63 LSB 1
PRE3 MSB 63 LSB 2
PRE4 MSB 63 LSB 3
PRE5 MSB 63 LSB 4
PRE6 MSB 63 LSB 5
PRE7 MSB 63 LSB 6
PRE8 MSB 63 LSB 7