Zoom A3, Taylor T5

Started by RogerGLewis-fgn, March 08, 2014, 12:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerGLewis-fgn

A look at the Modelling , T5 modification potential and A/B with Gibson LG2
This is a long Video.
I am deciding whether to buy a Zoom A3 DI or a Fishman Aura DI.
I use Line 6 Variax, Roland COSM in a VG 88 Pedal, I also use the Bodilizer plug in and have been developing my own Guitar Impulse response product Tonefreqhz.
The Zoom A3 when it came out intrigued me as I saw it as a new generation processing replacement for the Variax Acoustic 700 which Line 6 now owned by Yamaha, no longer make.

The Zoom A3 is very impressive and would be great for my Purposes the Aura is still on my list due to its user Image slots for 16 of the users own Images ( Impulse responses.) The Aura is tried and tested as a professional bit of gear, the Zoom is well made and seems very solid at its price it is favourite unless like me you want space for your own Impulse responses, that is the only drawback for my purposes.

The Zoom A3 hasd a whole bunch of additional processing capabilities its a multi effects pedal for Acoustic Guitar, That is less an issue for me and the Aura which is all about straight Acoustic Fidelity with a Compressor built in and 3 band EQ is fine for my purposes.

So for me the Jury os still out  and of course there is also the DTAR Mamma Bear to consider which from memory has 12 Vintage guitar models on board I believe.

The Analysis in the Video is really just a rough guide with an hour in the studio I think I could get a very close match to my own LG2 out of the Taylor T5 and the Zoom LG2 model, String Guage on my LG 2 is Dadarrio 13's on the taylor I played at Halmen Music it had Elexir 11's which is a big ask for the processing to make up for.

On my own Ovangkol T% I will be fitting a set of Thomastick Enfield 12's for Electric the 12's on my 410 CE have been very nice strings and I think I will be sticking with them.

Look out for a Video with either a Zoom A3 or Aura DI using my Turman 5000 miles of Mojo Ghost loaded solid body super stratand also my Teliax comparing the Variax modeling is next on my list along with the Roland COSM acoustic modeling too.

The Second Hand Variax 700 I have been looking for may not now be required the zoom A3 definitely does the Job well enough for my own purposes but as a big fan of Variax having the 700 as a future Classic is definitely at the back of my mind so don't be surprised if I cave into Variax Acoustic 700 Gas .

Thanks to Jonathan at Halmen Musik in Helsingborgh either a Zoom A3 or Fishman Aura pedal will be coming my way from Their store ( Support High Street music stores especially Mom and Pops ) !

Any Schematics of the T5 preamp and wiring would be greatly appreciated

sixeight-fgn

Thanks for your video. Had a listen to some of the audio examples. I do find most acoustic impulse responses suffer from heavy combfiltering, which in the end sound artificial to my ears.

I have considered all of the gear you mentioned for my Crafter TMVS. But so far I am not convinced and I'll stick with my VG99/GR55. Both give a reasonable acoustic in combination with the Crafter.

So far no modeling of acoustics beats the real thing imho.

RogerGLewis-fgn

Six eight, I agree the real thing is always just that the real thing and there is only one real thing here in Sweden it´s Julmust and not coca cola.
What attracts me to specific modelling is the interpretations of other instruments represented by the creator of the impulse response and any additional filtering and the method used to create the Image as Fishman call them or interpretations as I think Line 6 call them. The LG2 in the Zoom A3 could do the job live for me I think I would though prefer to add some air whether I could do this satisfactorily with the other effects in the A3 alone I do not know but would not bet against it.
The Aura spectrum  does a different Job with respect to speciallising in signal restoration to piezo outputs.( it's haior splitting really in my own mind they do very similar things) the D Tar Mama bear is another interesting take on in Kind of a boutique offering in the field as it were, Seymore Duncan is involved and he knows a thing or to about Pickups by my reckoning.
I think I will end up buying both an A3 an Aura and a Variax 700 and with that out lay I think the lG2 will remain with me and the T5 with a 13 pin out will give me access to my own VG88 acoustic patches and the Line 6 models in my Rackvax. I really gas for a Kempner profiling amp again the models are not the real thing but they have other compensations built in are the up side of beast experimentation looking for new sounds , being able to do this with acoustics modeling is a quicker process than playing every guitar in as many shops as possible let alone buying countless ones that turn out to be not quite what we had in mind.

sixeight-fgn

Had my taste of julmust. My wife is from Sweden.

There is something in a good acoustic like a Taylor or Martin, some kind of ringing or resonance, that I would love to have on my Crafter guitar, but it just isn't there. Someday it should be possible to model it, as Kemper has modelled the tube amp.

Drömmen är min.