Dopey Question 2 - How to Control Viola Swells in a Preset

Started by DunnyDaw, May 31, 2013, 10:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DunnyDaw

(Just proving my point in my earlier post  ;D )

As a way to fiddle around with FTP, I've been trying to create a patch to play Wooden Nickels, by the Eels - great simple little song, and E often has strings or piano in behind a finger-picked guitar.

I only have the software that came with FTP, so I selected the Viola patch no 57, that comes with the software.

Then I added Guitar Rig, and selected the Clean Break no 22 patch that came with it.  Did just a little bit of adjust of Synth 1 channel levels, and I have a patch which pretty much suits the song, and could probably suit a number of Eels songs.

However, sometimes the swells that comes froms the strings synth (in this patch and also other strings synth patches) can overwhelm the song.  I'm wondering what causes this, and can it be controlled?  Is it something to do with the dynamics of the picking, or is it something in the preset settings which can be adjusted to contro,it?

Thanks for any comment

thegamemaker-fgn

It's probably the dynamics of the picking.
I too find notes sometimes jump out with only a slight change in picking strength.
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity of the Synth Channel the viola is in? You should be able to fix it that way.

Other than that, I'd like to get a pedal to adjust the volume of a synth channel while playing.... But I don't know how yet, or if its possible.

shawnb-fgn

This sounds like there is a loooooooong slow attack.   I'd try decreasing the overall volume & decreasing the attack. 
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp