Roland GR-30, should it get a place here?

Started by Guitarpolson-fgn, March 10, 2013, 09:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitarpolson-fgn

Hello everybody!
I've searched here on this forum, and there is no place for the Roalnd GR-30.
I know it is an old horse, but I've got a few mods that make it shiny and new.

Here's 2 demo's showing my fixed GR30.

the first one shows my Linear Velocity mod, it does what is says: it gives straight velocity, instead of the original compressed velocity

the second one shows, how the combination of the cosm sound of the GR55 and the lovely dated internal sounds of the GR30 create a 80's sound that never really existed, it is just sloppy without a rhytm track, but you should catch my drift here.. ')

Thanks for watching!
GP

shawn-fgn

You're getting some cool tones out of that gear!

Can't say whether or not the GR30 needs its own section or not here on the forum. Are there still a lot of people using/modifying them?

Guitarpolson-fgn

Quote from:  shawn on March 10, 2013, 12:08:13 PM
You're getting some cool tones out of that gear!

Can't say whether or not the GR30 needs its own section or not here on the forum. Are there still a lot of people using/modifying them?
Thanks Shawn!.. and: I dont know how many people are using the GR30..
Thats why I'm asking.. The GR-30 is a terrific machines, certainly after the 2 mods I've applied.
But they all are focused on spending their money on the Fish Play. ")
I've got 2 GR30's, 3rd one is on its way. They are dirt cheap, you can hack them easily, and their fast enough to use on stage.
There is only 1 mod to go for me with the GR30: that is the "anti pick allergia" mod.. the gr-30 doesnt like picks, that can be fixed too..
But if nobody is interested, I neednt bother about sharing these fixes...

gumbo-fgn

GR-30 user here!!   ;D

...firstly Gp, thanks for all your work on this!  Cant wait to (get the time to) play with some of your suggestions..

...secondly, it should get a place somewhere..the old GR-30 Forum seems to be fairly quiet in the last few years...

..maybe we can have a "Back-to-the-Future" sub forum...    ;)

Cheers from Oz,
gumbo

Guitarpolson-fgn

thanks, Gumbo!
I'll think about it.. the option is, to move everything to my own site, then maybe I'd install a forum on my site as well.. But I'll wait a few days, when there are too few potential followers, I'll move everything to my site, then I'll gather all GR30 knowledge there.

pedwards2932-fgn

I have had a GR 30 since they came out.  Used it in a classic rock band to replace a keyboard player that left.  I got a GR 20 with a purchase of a Godin and I never really liked the GR 20.....just couldn't adjust the sounds and it was a PITA to use live.  I recently got a GR 55 and use the GR 30 as a backup.  Other than the initial learning curve I haven't really had any issues with the GR 55 but there is an organ sound and sax sound that I got with the GR30 that I haven't quite been able to get with the GR55.  Since I really only use the synth to add particular instruments, strings and orchestration the GR30 was great for me I was just getting to worry that with it's age it could fail.

Elantric-fgn

Myself - I still love my GR-30, and want to thank member Guitarpoison for his GR-30 mods, and resurrecting my interest in this nearly 20 year old device.
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

Guitarpolson-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on March 13, 2013, 09:02:10 AM
Myself - I still love my GR-30, and want to thank member Guitarpoison for his GR-30 mods, and resurrecting my interest in this nearly 20 year old device.
Your welcome, Elantric.. Although I no longer call myself "Guitarpoison"  ')
I will gather all info and mods over here at futureguitarnow, it is inconvenient to use 2 fora for it, and here is the more suitable place for it.
You know, the GR30 is half analog, which makes it suitable for nice hacks, so there's more fun ahead I guess..

shawnb-fgn

Quote from:  pedwards2932 on March 12, 2013, 04:08:31 AMOther than the initial learning curve I haven't really had any issues with the GR 55 but there is an organ sound and sax sound that I got with the GR30 that I haven't quite been able to get with the GR55.

You and me both!  I think I know exactly which voices you're talking about!
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

shawnb-fgn

Quote from:  Guitarpolson on March 13, 2013, 09:58:17 AMYour welcome, Elantric.. Although I no longer call myself "Guitarpoison"  ')

I need new glasses...   Hadn't noticed! 

Thanks for all the info & the amazing videos.  You're quite a talent!

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

Guitarpolson-fgn

Quote from:  shawnb on March 13, 2013, 11:29:50 AM
Quote from:  Guitarpolson on March 13, 2013, 09:58:17 AMYour welcome, Elantric.. Although I no longer call myself "Guitarpoison"  ')

I need new glasses...   Hadn't noticed! 

Thanks for all the info & the amazing videos.  You're quite a talent!
thanks Shawnb, thats nice to hear..
My talents are very unequally distributed, I'd love to be more "productive in production", but alas production totally distracts me from playing, so thats why I play this lonesome stuff..