Wild Crow New Song Misfit

Started by Elboy, November 07, 2011, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elboy

I posted a copy of this within my post for Perfect Girl however i guess it should be posted as a stand alone.

This song is called Misfit.  We have tried to capture our live song.  We recorded our drums in a studio using Logic then re-recorded the guitars and vocals at mine.  We have a moto "that will do will NOT do!". 

At first we thought that mistakes could be easy fixed within Logic (Flex time Etc.) however i have made everyone just play better.  There is VERY little correction involved (one or two bum notes). I don't want it to sound like a demo however i also don't want a sterile track so there are a few errors in there however i have let them slide if they have little impact on the track.

Most guitars are DIed straight into the computer using an Alesis iO/26.   Some of the guitars are then thickened by mic'ing up the amps or when we need to use an efect pedal (Digitec Wammy).

It was posted on here originally as a demo (poor) however this version is the one i am working on for our album and has the band behind it.
One again thanks in advance for taking the time to first of all listen to our songs but also to make comments.  I would be good to get some constructive criticism on our posts with regards to the technicalities of the tracks. i.e. EQ, volumes, general quality of the recordings.  We are trying to get something out that isn't a demo so any help on this area would be most welcome.  If you think its a botch job i would love to know why.   :)
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp

hoopyfrood

I love the overall composition and the energy it evokes. The way the piece ends (quick fading vocal echo) is the perfect finish to a song like this. I feel that the crash cymbals are a little over powering at times but this may be because I am listening to this on a cheap laptop with very naff earplugs. If I get the chance I'll try to listen to it in my studio which will be a much better environment. Great work so far Elboy.
I don't make mistakes..........I thought I did once but I was wrong.

Elboy

I feel that the crash cymbals are a little over powering at times but this may be because I am listening to this on a cheap laptop with very naff earplugs.
[/quote]

Tks for the heads up on the cymbals.  I would be very interested if you think the same on your studio setup.  I am using Samson 50A's as monitors and they might be killing to top end a bit therefore i might be adding to much in, really not sure as i haven't done a check on other systems yet.  Thanks for taking the time to analyse though.  this is just what i was looking for
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV

DF400-fgn

Elboy, you guys rock!

I was in my otherwise quiet office this afternoon, cranking this song up on my computer when my secretary uncharacteristically poked her head in to see if I was OK. I had to get down off the top off my desk and take the lamp shade off my head...some people just don't understand. I'm going home to rattle some windows with that new amp now.

Zummooz-fgn

Elboy .... Oh Yeah, man that Rocks  ;D

Just played that VERY LOUD in my home studio 3 times in a row (Lucky 1 neighbour just sold their house & it's empty)  ;)
Really dose sound all round good to me (didn't notice the cymbal being to loud)

I too think that ending is spot on !!

Honestly thou .... It's not loud enough. (Unless thats because it's mp3 I'm hearing)
Meaning the mastering of the final product,
A good way to explain this is, by playing a song by someone else you like from a professional recorded CD .... anything.

Pump the volume up  ;D  look at where & how loud the meter reading is.

Now DON'T touch the volume & leave the volume at that mark.
Now play your song at that same volume .... should see and hear how it's not as loud as a finished CD.

BUT ... of cause ignore all that  :P  if that song you posted is just mastered in Logic.
Because ...
Once you put it though Waveburner is where you can get to the max. ie: CD quality
Which is where you should put the final stereo mix for final mastering though anyway, for the final production of.

Other than that ....... GREAT WORK, TOP STUFF  ;D  Loving your bands work !!

Edit ... Silly me ... You might be sending the Logic mix to a professional mixer / master. As your doing a pro album.
If thats the case leave it in Logic & just take that to your producer, they will do the rest.
Al thou I think they just need the stereo mix of the final tracks.

Quote from:  DF400 on November 07, 2011, 05:22:19 PM
Elboy, you guys rock!

I was in my otherwise quiet office this afternoon, cranking this song up on my computer when my secretary uncharacteristically poked her head in to see if I was OK. I had to get down off the top off my desk and take the lamp shade off my head...some people just don't understand. I'm going home to rattle some windows with that new amp now.

HA HA HA HA HA   ;D ;D ;D  Like this ......

Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Elboy

The two songs I have posted as just a mix within Logic, then bounced as an mp3. No mastering as been done at all.  I have just been reading up on that and watched a few videos so that's my next step.  Glad to have envied some good old primal instincts Zummooz.

As a footnote I. Am very excited as we are going o Perth, Australia on 27th dec. For a wedding and some sun, I might take a few CDs with me and see if I can convoke the local radio to play some of Perfect Girl  ;D
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV

Zummooz-fgn

Sorry my Boo Boo thinking it was a mastered track.  :-\
I think where your up to on these are 1st class. Such a good job, have some Karma.

Quote from:  Elboy on November 08, 2011, 04:01:32 PM
As a footnote I. Am very excited as we are going o Perth, Australia on 27th dec. For a wedding and some sun, I might take a few CDs with me and see if I can convoke the local radio to play some of Perfect Girl  ;D

Cool, I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy your stay Downunder in Perth, if ya get to Sydney give us a call.
Perth is the farthest point away from me. Roughly  :o  4,000+ klm
Should be hovering around 30+ celsius around that time, already is here in Sydney and it's still Spring !!

You'll be right thou .... Just need  ;)

Deodorant   :P
Sun Screen
Hat
Sunnies   8)
Shorts
T-Shirt
Thongs ..... (NOT the things people know as G-Strings)
You wear them on your feet, Not your %#@%

May-be a suit for the wedding, All thou the above would look OK too.  ;D

And, just need to be able to say .... G-Day Mate

Careful you don't go back home looking like a Beetroot or a nice shiny Red Tomato.
Thats what usually happens to you guys from England / Scotland.

I remember some mates from England came out here in the 80's, took them to the beach,
one of them crashed out in the sun on his back with one hand across his stomach .....
Yep you guessed it .....
Woke up sometime later with a great hand and arm printed across his stomach, Hilariously Funny.  ;D ;D

You might even get to the point of ringing your boss up and saying ....
Stuff your job, I'm staying here in Australia.  ;D

Cheers   :D  Enjoy it
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!