Firebird X on the way :)

Started by BobTheDog-fgn, September 30, 2011, 10:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobTheDog-fgn

Hi Guys,

Well I caved in and ordered one and should have it on Tuesday.

I will post the trials and tribulations that are sure to ensue.

You never know though it may be an easier path than the Dusk Tiger was!

Cheers

Andy

simont-fgn

Congrats Andy!!!

Looking forward to hearing all about it  ;)

Zummooz-fgn

Congrats BobTheHog  :D .... What Colour ?

If it's Not rude of me to ask ..... Hey if it is, just tell me to go & jump  ;)
(as I think this is more of a studio type guitar than a live one)

Like to know if you are a Live performer or be using this in a Live situation ?
Or ... are you more of a studio type ?

Anyway I don't think you'll be alone here with one .... hey simont  ;)

Now ....
Being the 1st here to get one.
You do know, that we expect you to have a screwdriver & camera at the ready, for when
it arrives in your hot little hands on your doorstep .....  :o D
on't You !!

So you can pull it completely apart & then we can all get to see the insides & what going on !!

Lots of pic's please   ;D   enjoy !!
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

simont-fgn

Quote from:  Zummooz on October 01, 2011, 12:52:41 AM

Anyway I don't think you'll be alone here with one .... hey simont  ;)

Am I that obvious!  ;D

Seriously though, I was very impressed with the acoustic sound I heard from the 'Product Evangelist'.
Also, looks really comfortable for me as I play sitting down.

But, man it's expensive!!

Maybe I'll borrow one off thomann for 30 days  ;D  8)

Elantric-fgn

A/B it with a Tyler Variax before you close the deal.

If it's acoustic tones you seek from a solidbody electric guitar in 2011 , nothing tops a Tyler Variax.

It's a fine line between toys vs tools. And the execution and implementation AND SUPPORT NETWORK of the featured electronics  is vital for tools I use or recommend.

But in regards to High tech Gibson's , I'm definitely in the camp of no thanks - " been there, done that, bought the T-shirt".
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

Zummooz-fgn

Kind of agree with E but this way  :P

I've been saying this is more a studio guitar than a Live guitar. (probably is) But hang on a second.
Most studios have a bucket load of effects & units on hand anyway. Even I have !!

So in fact you only need or even be better off with a just GK-3 installed guitar (or alike) & a VG-99
Add in a GR-55 & a US-20 to it & your set for many many more types of effects / amps etc, than the Firebird X could ever produce.

So I really don't understand anyone spending that much $$$$ on this, IF they have already what I just mentioned above, or similar to that.

Also did you know, you have to have 3 arms for this guitar  ;D  (they state you can just carry as a one man show) guitar & amp.
So thats a Guitar in one hand, the Amp in the other hand & the pedal bag in the 3rd hand, with a backpack on the back for your other bits & pieces.

Get to your Gig & your already stuffed & your backs shot !!  :'(

Quote from:  simont on October 01, 2011, 01:28:50 AM

Am I that obvious!  ;
Obvious .... lets see 2 + 2 = 4 .... Yep  ;)  ;D

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Elantric-fgn

With Gibson's traditional Customer Support track record of non support and even laughter at HD.6X or 1st gen Robot owners waiting 3 years for repair parts to repair a $4k guitar.

Or how about the 1st gen Robot upgrade that was promised, completed, but never delivered.

When the motor in the Firebird-X Bluetooth volume pedal seizes, and there's a mechanical failure in 2013.

Do the math.

MCK-fgn

Congrats on the order. It'll be great to have someone with a unit here to share with the rest of us.
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

BobTheDog-fgn

Hi Guys,

I went for the red one, I only play at home now although I am thinking of doing a one man pub band type thing using an Oktatrack as the rest of the band but it is a bit pie in the sky at the moment.

What I was really interested in was the pickup configurations and 9 band eq on each, the varitone and the 31 band eq. There is some serious sculpting ability here.

What is also interesting me is getting hold of the Dev Kit from Gibson, I have DSP experience and am interested in getting some polyphonic fx running in the guitar, that would be pretty neat.

Of course the main worry is Gibson qualiity, I went through 4 Dusk Tigers before getting one that worked ok and the pickup selector on that one is going wonky now.

Fingers crossed I get a good one!

Andy

BobTheDog-fgn

p.s. I agree the JT variax acoustics sound good, the 12 strings are bloody awfull though.

Unfortunately Line 6 quality control isn't too good and my JT only lasted a few days, hopefully they will mend it sometime this year.

matbard-fgn

I tried the FBX on the launch event here in Italy, last Friday, and was really astonished. I really want one of these(but I ordered the Firebird NR Studio a couple of months ago...).

I had a Variax bass in the past and never want a Line 6 device more in my life...
-

--> Matteo Barducci

BobTheDog-fgn

Well it has arrived.

About a million things included, euro power plugs buggeration.

Tuners all work and are pretty quick I must admit, much quicker than the DT.

It is a bit hard to tell how it is going to play at the moment because the strings are around a cm high! The neck looks ok so hopefully it has not been setup like this to stop buzzing.

Once I get it set up I will report back.

Cheers

Andy

Zummooz-fgn

:o  What No pic's  ;)

Looking forward to your findings  ;D Please keep us posted, thanks

BobTheDog-fgn

Zummooz-fgn

Ah ..... in the Raw Flesh  ;D 
Is the finish better than in that video that was posted earlier ?
Don't worry .... I got carpet like that too  :P

BobTheDog-fgn

Not looking good the A string piezo is not working well :(

Distorted sound, also pressing the string down behind the bridge totally cuts of the sound to that string.

Looks like a return.

Do they have quality control at Gibson!

MCK-fgn

This is a continued shame! If you have one flagship product that you manufacture in relatively small quantities and if 99% of the players around the world have already lost faith in these things what do you do to turn things around? Nothing... Just same old same old. I am very sorry to hear for your sake Andy. Good luck with your return. Been there, done that. Not riding that camel again.

BobTheDog-fgn

Yep, when will I learn!

Dealer has asked Gibson if there maybe a simple user fix, if not they will replace it.

I loosened the string and wiggled the sadle and screwed the intonation screw in and out in the vague hope that it may sort it but there was no change.

Hopefully Gibson will get back to them quickly.

Elantric-fgn

Recheck that the piezo saddle is sitting true vertical and not leaning. If its leaning , the string signal may cut in & out.

Use needle nose pliers and carefully relocate it into position.

MCK-fgn

He says tunings is working great and is faster than DT. If the Piezo on the saddle was bad the tuning would be affected no? I suspect this might be a deeper issue but I hope I'm wrong.

BobTheDog-fgn

The tuning is wonky on that string sometimes. I will check it now but it looked pretty vertical.....

BobTheDog-fgn

Hi Guys,

Ok played around with the saddle a bit, not much change.

Also lowered the bridge as it was very high, didn't make any difference.

Looks a bit busted to me.

The good thing is that with the bridge lowered it plays much better, good to know anyway!

Cheers

Andy

BobTheDog-fgn

Hi Guys,

I have the replacement, no problems so far with this one.

I will let you all know how it goes...

Cheers

Andy

simont-fgn

Great news Andy!

Replacement guitar or bridge/saddle?

BobTheDog-fgn

Whole Guitar.

This one is a better build quality as well, the fret mounting is a lot better and the general setup is also much better.

I think the last one was a Friday afternoon job!

Cheers

Andy