Kenton MIDI USB Host

Started by Zummooz-fgn, July 15, 2011, 11:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zummooz-fgn

Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

vanceg-fgn

Elantric-fgn

I stumbled on this Kenton unit while doing a search for a "USB to Old School MIDi Interface" adapter.

Instead I decided to roll my own, and build a "USB to "Old School" MIDI interface" using an Aduino and USB Shield PC board. See the Video tutorial below.

This would open up the doors for controlling VG-99, GR-55 using many USB MIDI controllers, like these.

Details on building your own "USB to "Old School" MIDI interface" is here:

http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/interfacing-midi-devices-with-arduino-using-usb-host-shield

Another popular USB peripheral code for USB Host Shield has been implemented! Collin Cunningham from Collin's Lab @ MAKE found a neat way of interfacing USB MIDI devices with Arduino. The video above demonstrates using Akai LPK25 keyboard and USB video game guitar to play music on Arduino. Quoting Collin, his setup is "USB MIDI to old-school MIDI converter".

Make sure to check out Collin's code – it's one-piece sketch, short, clean and easy to understand. It is Richard Ibbotson's PS3 code, re-purposed to parse MIDI data. While not a textbook implementation of USB MIDI, Collin's code can be used to talk to MIDI keyboards, guitars, and consoles, to name a few. Good job, Collin!

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

matbard-fgn

Just a question: are there guitar pitch-to-CV converters(no MIDI) for controlling old analog synths?
-

--> Matteo Barducci

Elantric-fgn

QuoteJust a question: are there guitar pitch-to-CV converters(no MIDI) for controlling old analog synths?

There are several in the DIY and Used channel. I have a 1985 JL Cooper MIDI to CV box to drive a Sequential Circuits Pro One.

Kenton makes  a new MIDI to CV convertor that could go between the MIDI out of your VG-99, GR-55, GR-20, You Rock Guitar, Etc.

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/m-cv/prosolo.shtml

Heres a video of just one combo:

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .