GK-3 Kit Installed & 'The Cigar' comes alive (Simple Build & GK-3 Kit Install)

Started by Zummooz-fgn, May 18, 2011, 05:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zummooz-fgn

Hi all  8)

I got board while waiting for my GR-55 to arrive...& my 1st guitar build job Flying V got put on the back-burner.
I'm re-doing complete finish on that....(again)

So....ladies & gentlemen, I give you......... 'The Cigar' with internal GK-3, installed & put together by yours truly.....me !  ;D

Basic Specs....  ::)

Body....
Warmoth, Rear Routed, Standard Stratocaster®, Goncalo Alves on Mahogany (Chambered)
(2 vol 1 tone & 5 way switch, prept already)
Finish: Transparent Yellow  ........ (not as yellow as I thought it would be) but still very happy !
To my surprise when I opened up my package, the body has some nice flame happening. (couldn't see this before finish put on)
Vintage 6-Hole Tremolo (at moment with 5 springs) + these trem's work ok with a GraphTech Nut installed.
Seymour Duncan, Cool Rails (Neck) SCR-1n                                                                   
Seymour Duncan, Vintage Rails (Middle) SVR-1n                                 
Seymour Duncan, Hot Rails  (Bridge) SHR-1b
Tele Knobs (tried using strat & speed knobs with position pointers, just didn't look right with this colour or something)
No strap buttons (as yet) don't really need in my situation.
No pickguard.
No Tremolo cover (waiting till I bed it in & decide on # of springs)
Roland GK-3 Internal Kit
Up / Down Buttons (changed from original to some bought at JayCar)
(Did this, as it will be easy to replace if ever needed + the holes needed drilling isn't as huge as the ones in the GK-3 kits)
(Also, now my little finger rests on the body, perfectly between these higher, up / down buttons) similar diameter to originals.
1 Volume ,1 Tone & 1 GK Volume, GK Switch & Led & 5 way switch
(replaced the normal guitar volume, near bridge pickup, with the 'up button', as I don't like the volume on strats like that,
for-ever turning up or down the guitar volume accidentally)
Anyway a knob wouldn't fit there, when GK pickup installed in reverse.

Neck....
Warmoth, Stratocaster ®, Vintage Modern with skunk stripe, Maple Neck.
Raw Canary Fretboard (Just thought I'd try something different.......Raw)
1 11/16" Nut Width, GraphTech Black TUSQ XL (these are the best Nuts to have)......that just doesn't sound right !  ;)
10-16" Compound Radius, 6150 size Frets, 25-1/2" Standard Thin Neck.
Vintage Tint Gloss, Black Face Dots Inlay,
Sperzel Trim-Lok Tuners, Satin Black
Custom Edition Neck Plate
Strings, Fender Nickel-Plated Super Bullets .010----.046

Guitar resides comfortably in a Gator Strat Hardcase

All parts from Warmoth, StewMac, Roland Australia, Greasygroove & Turramurra Music ....(already had spare strings, as ya do)

OK before I started this, I studied this page which shows where the chambering is done, on a Warmoth Chambered Strat.
(Can view at bottom of page, back & front to see where chambering & input holes are)
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Body/Stratocaster/Chambered/
After looking at this I came to the conclusion, that this would be very easy, to do a GK-3 Internal Kit install. Plenty of room.
Using rear routing !!

1st up, I made myself a safety plate / bracket (out of brass sheeting) to install the square hole needed for GK 13pin plug.
I mounted this using smaller screws (Humbucker pickup mount screws), onto where there was a 3/4'' side input hole pre drilled.
Then just drilled another later for the guitar input. When mounting GK 13pin connector later, I used some flat top larger screws.
In hindsight these plugs should be the other way around, as I was 1st thinking of, ie: the plastic plate would fit better to the flatter side.
Main reason being is that there is a lot less hacking / routing out of wood, as it's chambered, It would be heaps easier that way.
Only need to go in about 12mm (before hitting chamber) for the outer side square on these chambered bodies.
The inside is easy to get to (full length of control cavity) & can hack away to your hearts content.
(will get the idea in pic's taken)
Next time I will do it that way !
Just need a good square on the outer-side for the 13pin connector. Don't go to big now......or
Start thinking about making a new cover plate for both the GK 13pin connector & the Input connector. To cover the stuff up !!

Also would have been even easier to install GK pickup, if I had a Humbucker at the bridge !
But got around this with using Strat Pickup Mounting Plate & just filed back, the bridge one, so as it would be parallel to the GK pickup.
Basically ... to look right !
Hacked away a trench from inside bridge pickup cavity, to the top of body, so as GK pickup wiring would fit snuggly out of sight.
This was the most daring...'Scotch' needed ...task. 

The six holes on the body for the tremolo helped heaps in the aligning of GK-3 pickup (after initial trial setup)
But left the final placement (screws) for GK pickup till all was setup correctly.
Needed to cut springs in half, for mounting of GK pickup.
Also I've reversed the GK pickup, (many thanks Elantric  ;D ) as I've a VG-99 & GR-55 with no usage dramas there at all.
Sitting inside of the 20mm maximum distance from bridge, about 15-18mm.

Control cavity painted with 5 coats of Conductive Paint (StewMac) earthed & cover plate has copper tape on it.
NO conductive done in the pickup cavities at all.
It's the quietest (noiseless) Strat I have heard, on any pickup configuration.
For that, I thank very much MCK  ;D for his idea's on strat pickups..... thanks bud, these are great, just perfect !!

Just enlarged pickup cavity with Dremel, so wires would fit better & enlarged hole on bridge pickup cavity for GK pickup wires.

The electric's was pretty straight forward, 90% soldered outside, 10% inside of control cavity. Just gotta get it in the right order.
(pic's will show that).
I should have videoed the whole GK-3 process. Pic's kind of in time lapse anyway......Oh well may-be next time.

Notes....
All that was used was a basic Dremel Tool Kit (a must have item) using attachment bits......   #194, #507,  #953, #8193
Drill & brand new 'Brad Point' Drill Bits (must have) & other sharp drill bits. (no drill press used, but can at times)
Soldering iron & other usual guitar tools & setup measurement devices.

Of cause when drilling holes or about to start hacking into a lovely brand new finish $$$ ...... Ouch !!
Must have masking tape & a glass of 'Scotch' nearby (to get past the fear of stuffing it up) & be able to grit your teeth hard or
hold your breath, while tightening your bum cheeks as tight as you can & really in the end........ just hope for the best.  ;D

Or better still, if your not confident on drilling etc into a sparkling new finished body, get a un-finished body (may-be with no holes)
Do all your work 1st drilling / placement of holes & hacking, then paint , dye, spray it your self or get a pro to spray it.....safer bet.
But I did this on a already finished body, with no real drama's at all.

This was a very simple & very easy job to do, hell of a lot more easier than I 1st envisaged or was lead to believe.
I would do this again, No drama's at all.....No way would I have paid someone else to install this or build it.....why ? 
I believe what made this easy was the fact I started from a shell (body) from scratch.
If trying this on an already built guitar, that would be a hell of a lot harder, I believe.
Noticed you can get a Tele with a Strat rear rout, so could do what I've done on a Tele.......Uummmm .... may-be next time !

Please Note....
There seems to be more room using a rear routed body & can get to later, heaps easier than top routed bodies, using a pickguard.
Suppose using a pickguard (top rout) could really hide any stuff ups & could probably hack a lot more out underneath.
But...would have a hell of a job getting 13 pin connector in.

Anyway.....
This I class as my 1st guitar build job. Hey....even impressed myself   ;D (since my 1st guitar build job, Flying V is now on the backburner)
Also before this project, I added a Warmoth Neck to a fully loaded Mex RR Strat Body, which works great with the VG-99.
Will put some sort of personal decals on headstocks of these's someday.

Hey....one thing I haven't said about this guitar, is that.......It works & I love it !!
The Raw Neck (is slick as) the SD Pickups are perfect (no hum, buzz, anything) & the GK-3 kit all works fine......I'm in loooooove 

Just like to personally thank all mods & all members from both FGN & VGuitar, for being able to learn so much from all of you.
Thanks heaps all.....  :)

Anyway, think I've covered it all....here's some teaser pic's & I've put in some links below to photobucket.

For some strange reason, photobucket is showing in reverse order. Best to view all, then flick though backwards.
GK-3 Install...... http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/Zummooz/GK-3%20Install/
Rest of build..... http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/Zummooz/The%20Cigar/

I really hope this might help other people in some way, as it was very simple indeed.
So any questions or queries ..... shoot.

C-YA.......off to light up 'The Cigar' .....Cheers  ;D

Zummooz

Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Johnnyurq-fgn

Good job Murray, well done that man.

This might just inspire me to build a bitsa guitar with an internal GK3. Whilst I am still awaiting the imminent (not bloody likely) arrival of a James Tyler Variax. It will be pretty much a year since they announced the damned things.

Oh well being a DF owner you would think I would be used to waiting and have more patience.

Elantric-fgn

Thanks for posting the build details

Johnnyurq wrote>
QuoteWhilst I am still awaiting the imminent (not bloody likely) arrival of a James Tyler Variax. It will be pretty much a year since they announced the damned things.

Same here - I have a JTV-69 that I ordered Nov. 2010, and I'm recently told it will not ship until Oct 2011.
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

photonutalan1-fgn

Zummooz,
Thank you for the detailed report of your build and the pics. You've done yourself proud on that one, for sure!!! And, besides all the electronic goodies, it's BEAUTIFUL!!! Nice work...VERY nice work!!! ;D

MCK-fgn

Hey man. I think you're on to a new career. That is one seriously well executed install. And the overall look is real nice too. You have one real real nice guitar there. How does she sound? Enjoy it in good health. All the best.
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Zummooz-fgn

Thanks all so much  ;D 

Sorry about the huge initial 1st post, tried to fit as much info as possible !

Hi MCK....  :)
It feels / playing wise, much much better that the RR Strat (that I added a neck to) which itself dose play well.
Even thou they both have similar spec's, neck radius 10-16, Nut, Shape, same frets etc.
All thou, this raw fretboard on this neck really is much nicer, a great feel to it.

I did a rough weigh of both the RR strat & The Cigar & they seem equal at about 8lbs
'The Cigar' is (chambered) Mahogany.
RR Strat is Alder. (I think it's solid, not sure ! )
Could be some difference in the tones by the wood, I do like the Mahogany thou, just sounds warmer. If that makes cense.

Also there is a huge difference between the two guitars using the standard pickups.
I personally don't like the basic RR Strat pickups. GK-2 all good thou !
So that RR Strat can be used by (me or others) as a spare into GR + VG mainly using the GK-2 side of things.
I feel some fun jams are gunna be a happening !  ;D

Sound-wise...Great !
These SD pickups I have in it are just superb, each one has some great depth / tones & when mixed together, also crystal clear.
The amount of variations of tones you get while using the tone knob, just awesome !
This is the huge, better part, that is different to the RR Strat.

Better too is GK-3 side of things.....is that I can adjust the GK-3 pickup on this more than I can the RR Strat GK-2
This new guitar now seems my best guitar at running the VG.

The GK switch just has a black plastic toggle cover on it. Not sure which looks best, oh well comes off, goes go.

Oh yeah right, now taking orders  ;)

Oh No....my DarkFire's dropping down my ranks. Just in front of my Takamine Acoustic with GK-3 on it.  :P

'My Guitar The Cigar' ........ Ummm .... sounds like a good song title to me.

Thanks again all.....Cheers  ;D   Yep....I am, very pleased with the out come.

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Johnnyurq-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on May 18, 2011, 11:20:15 AM
Thanks for posting the build details

Johnnyurq wrote>
QuoteWhilst I am still awaiting the imminent (not bloody likely) arrival of a James Tyler Variax. It will be pretty much a year since they announced the damned things.

Same here - I have a JTV-69 that I ordered Nov. 2010, and I'm recently told it will not ship until Oct 2011.

Hi Elantric,

We have been told that almost all JTV's that come into the UK this year will be to honour VIP orders, pre-orders and the like. So I may have my JTV this year or maybe not.

I also know of dudes in Canada who have not even a been given a guess-timated date from Line 6 in any shape or form.

It is a shame because it has taken the shine off what is a great piece of gear.

We should be given some kind of badge/medal for extreme patience in the face of very trying waiting times for new tech gear that encounters feature slip and technical difficulties.  ;)

MCK-fgn

Quote from:  Zummooz on May 19, 2011, 06:32:37 AM

Oh No....my DarkFire's dropping down my ranks. Just in front of my Takamine Acoustic with GK-3 on it.

Sad isn't it. And wait till you have one of many possible gotcha's creep on you in due course...

Meanwhile, on a positive note, you're really on a roll. Want to see the Takamine Acoustic with GK-3 on it as well then. Your flying V will be a real looker when you finally feel happy with the finish quality.

Keep it up. A new career in the making I think!
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Zummooz-fgn

Quote from:  Johnnyurq on May 18, 2011, 06:45:24 AM
Whilst I am still awaiting the imminent (not bloody likely) arrival of a James Tyler Variax. It will be pretty much a year since they announced the damned things.
Quote from:  Elantric on May 18, 2011, 11:20:15 AM
I played one of these today BUT it was a JTV-59 (got bored in the rain)  ;D
As you guys are talking about the one with a Tremolo.....
Is that the only difference ?  besides the pickups.
I did see reports about the switches in the 59 but presume thats been fixed.

Anyway...
Walked in the music shop & one was sitting their, plugged in & ready to fire up ...... so I thought, well why not !!
I must say, looks stunning, played very nice indeed, very nicely finished.
It was Black with a thicker looking cream binding (than Gibson use) Very impressive guitar.
But I don't think it fits into my setup, I have no line 6 etc. Plus I like the GK-3's & building my own.

This is the 1st I'd seen them in my local music shop  :P
http://www.turramusic.com.au/Pages/CatalogueItem.aspx?CIID=4611
Told ya where behind downunder  ::)