I always felt I had too much gear and too little talent...

Started by MCK-fgn, September 17, 2010, 09:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCK-fgn

Now I know this to be the absoute & undeniable truth... I am simply floored. Anyone know this fella?

SEASICK STEVE - Cut My Wings
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

dirtypurple

He's played in the UK quite a few times and I would say fairly well known here. He's on Jools Hollands show a lot....and he played in Cambridge near me about 6 months ago. Tried to get a ticket, but sold out.

dirtypurple

photonutalan1-fgn

Johnnyurq-fgn

That is Seasick Steve a vagrant/bum made good.

He is pretty good with his footstomping drum thing and very few strings.

He has been on TV a lot in the UK for the last few years, I felt sure he was big in the US too. he has done loads of the main festivals as well as TV.

I like his last album title as I identify with it a whole lot.

"I started out with nothing and still got most of it left"

vanceg-fgn

Yeah! Seasick Steve.  I first heard him playing his Diddly Bo.  He's quite something, isn't he?

Personally: I sometimes wonder about the story of his life that you see online; it just seems to follow the story of the great blues legend too well - Dad was a musician, taught him to play, parents divorced, stepfather was violent, left home at 13, traveled as a hobo/bum, guitar was home made or bought from a rip off artist down in missippi....I suspect its based on truth, but I also smell some creative and useful enhancements.   At least I've never seen a story about him doing battle with the devil (maybe the devil had brought too many effects pedals and couldn't get his rig up and running before the gig started so he had to cancel. I often wonder is Satin himself isn't inhabiting my rig just before a performance....)

NO DOUBT he's got more guitar playing and performance talent in one slide-encased finger than I have on both hands and both feet.  He's GREAT fun to watch.

Elantric-fgn

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

Johnnyurq-fgn

I agree he has been hyped up by the media certainly in the UK but he has definitely got something going on to sustain it for so long.

Probably some artistic license surrounding him and his life story for sure as it makes more cash for all concerned.

Still he gets a decent sound out of his Roland Cube amp (quite good amps them) but not really authentic delta blues material amp wise, not enough mojo goin on. He at least needs an old pignose. :)

Zummooz-fgn

That  1st  video....

WOW  1  guy , 1  mic , 1  amp , 1  stomp  box  &  3  strings.....
Simply  amazing.....Great  sound.

Here  is  a  great  'Aussie'  site  with  stomp  boxs , guitars  etc  &  some  more  great  videos.
Should  keep  ya  busy  for  a  while !!  ;D       
http://www.ellisguitars.com/stompbox.html
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Welshman-fgn

Can't believe you've only just discovered Seasick Steve! He's an absolute legend!!
His album is just superb - especially the title track - "I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left" - well worth a listen.

Here in the UK, he was on Jools Holland a couple of times and his career just went ballistic.
I believe that he now lives in Switzerland.
Some of his youtube videos are brilliant.
If you find a cure for GAS let me know!!!!!

Elboy

He is fantastic live, i have seen him twice.  I thought he was huge all over.  He's been big in the UK for about 3 years.  I suspect his story is bull as there seems to be nothing about him at all until 3 years ago however that said he is a riff machine
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp