current state/opinions?

Started by Germanicus-fgn, June 30, 2010, 03:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Germanicus-fgn

Im looking for any feedback on the YRG as it is now. Have the sensitivity issues regarding accurate picking using the 'strings' (non-tap mode) been tackled?

How accurate is it as a midi controller? How is the latency? Looking for any and all opinions from current owners.

I currently use a gr33 and vg99 for midi conversion, and im curious if the YRG is better in terms of accuracy (fewer glitches) and tracking speed.

Worth the $200?
Would you use it live?
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
JTV69, Variax 600 and 700 Acoustic
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

Elantric-fgn

Some random YRG thoughts :

Deeper review by others  is here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32510.0

I discovered bulk of internal sounds lack dynamics, but this is NOT true when YRG is used as a MIDI controller. I got a full dynamic and velocity range from YRG when driving Apple AU Instruments in GarageBand. read on:
Update - External MIDI Test

As a quick test - I just connected the YRG to my Macbook Pro and Garageband '09.

I Fired up the Keyboard "new song" template
Much Better experience!!!

A much wider velocity response range is observed - pretty decent actually! - and Full Dynamics at last!!

And zero latency!
Perfect tracking - no glitching, no latency.

and a wide full dynamic range of MIDI velocity values are being sent. Most Excellent.

I installed Snoize MIDI Monitor for OSX

The YRG generates true MIDI Note On and MIDI Note Off events
And the MIDI Velocity values I'm seeing are between 49 and 120 - very useable.

Pressing the "Tap" key removed the need to touch the strings - essentially makes the YRG a non velocity Touch instrument - playable like a digital "Chapman Stick".

I'm triggering an external MIDI synth and playing the Tony Levin Stick intro to "Elephant talk" just perfectly.

I already own most all my favorite guitars, and I'm just an "ok" keyboard player.
My Prime reason for getting the YRG is to trigger synths, and capture MIDI notes/events for creating Tabulature in Guitar Pro 6 - So I can easily make Tab charts for members of my band of my songs.
The YRG is Well worth $200! Nothing comes close at this price point (well ask me next week after the E3 show)

Here's my score card for You Rock Guitar (1st day of use) : (1-10)

YRG as MIDI Controller: Score 9

YRG's internal guitar sounds: Score 4

YRG's internal synth sounds: Score 5

YRGS Neck feel/fretboard Playability: Score 8

Side mounted control panel (Brilliant) : Score 9

Other info

The Volume knob generates MIDI Volume commnads

The adjacent Mushroom 4 way control generates MIDI Mod wheel data.
The "Whammy Bar" defaults to MIDI Pitch Bend Data - Up/Down one whole step,

The "Mute bar" - is actually two small metal rails at the rear of the bridge. you rest your hand there and all sounds Mute and MIDI Note Off events are sent.

The two buttons below the bridge generate nothing ( and they should be user definable for MIDI CC# data IMHO)
----

I'm told indeed User defined MIDI sensitivity will be available in a near future update.

They seem to be tweaking the firmware release every few weeks:

More technical details:

"The YRG has 12 bit A/D range on the strings and uses complex aalgorithms to determine triggering and sensitivity. Editor applications will give the YRG user a wide variety of control over trigger and sensitivity in addition to 8 velocity tables assignable to each of the internal GUITAR and SYNTH voices as well as the MIDI output. MIDI velocity output is only 7 bit "

To adjust String Velocity:
"Try the OPEN button: when ON the trigger sensitivity is lower and when OPEN is off the trigger sensitivity is higher. There will be many apps that will allow you to fine-tune your YRG to your own playing style.
----
But so far I'm happiest using the YRG to trigger "non guitar" sounds of an external MIDi device - in todays example, a Macbook with a USB cable triggering AU Instruments in Apple Garageband 09

velocity curve/dynamics from the string triggers DO exist - and are very apparent when the YRG is used as a MIDI Controller. Internal sounds - not so apparent.
I measured the YRG transmits MIDI Note On velocity values between 49 and 120 throughout a wide range of picking styles.

BTW - Note Off events DO occur when you release finger pressure from the
membrane fretboard.

I have since learned:

Steve Leonard wrote>
"

The YRG has 8 internal velocity tables and the GUITAR, SYNTH and MIDI can each have there own table in EACH preset. There are several apps for PC, Mac and even the iPhone currently under development that will let each user fine tune the YRG to their individual expertise and style.

To adjust String Sensitivity:
Try the OPEN button: when ON the trigger sensitivity is lower and when OPEN is off the trigger sensitivity is higher. There will be many apps that will allow you to fine-tune your YRG to your own playing style.
KEVIN KENT WROTE>
"You might want to loosen the string tension a little bit on the bridge. Were doing a video on this after the E3 show, but its very simple. Everyone says its more sensitive with the strings a little loser. Factory testing equipment tweaks we need to do for a few more week. (Thanks)

Just look at the back of the bridge and you'll see 6 pretty good sized phillips heads, loosen is to the left, loosen to your preference. It will definitely change the sensitivity, when you start banging on it like Pete Townsend you just might want to tighten it a bit. It's a tweak, small steps..."
Frankly to me , the MIDI CONTROLLER aspects of the YRG are exactly where my focus has been for the YRG all along.

But the YRG internal sounds appear to have all the functionality ( and no more) of a late 1980's Rompler, with no mulitisamples or velocity crossfades. The YRG internal sounds (IMHO) seem very one dimensional and a bit boring after a few minutes of play - no slight on the Sound designer, I feel its simply a limitation of the internal hardware to meet this price point. Its not going to compete with something like NI Komplete, - its more along the lines of the first Ensoniq Mirage.

But Huge joy occurs when you connect YRG via the mini USB cable to your PC/Mac and VSTi/AU Instruments of choice!

Extremely expressive! and I easily adapted my old school chicago bar band technique and "no clams" or mis-triggers, requiring hitting the "MUTE" button!

Should state I've been playing guitar since 1967, and own/owned Roland GM-70, GR-700, GR-30, VG-99,
& Casio MG-510.

This is a new manual - 25 pages in several languages - but it is already 'stale" as the firmware keeps being updated bi-monthly with adding features. I see a history trail of 3 past firmware versions on the YRG site.

I'm discovering new things here every hour - including usable internal sounds - i dig Music preset #47 - with just my Sony MDR-7506 headphones directly connected to the YRG Headphone output and running on batteries. Great way to improve your chops and experiment with new scales.

So far its the straight up guitars that fall short in my opinion. Yesterday, i assumed it had a MONO output only, but today I'm stumbling around and finding nice stereo backing tracks and when I play I have multiple internal sounds I'm triggering - a pizzicato plucked string with a 2 octave lower synth pad, all in stereo - all built in.

Where's the gig bag! I could bike to the nearest park and practice under a tree and record it all with the onboard recorder (which works very well too!)

This thing is like a swiss army knife - sure some features are weak, but the other features are soo strong it more than makes up for the weak features. Its a definite keeper.

I might order a 2nd one and build a custom double neck, as I graft the YRG onto a custom strat with a warmoth neck and a YRG at the top ! This thing is that good today, and only getting better each month. If these sell well, the YRG Pro version with wooden body is very likely to come, but not until 2011 NAMM at earliest.
Press "Guitar" button you have guitars - press "Synth" Button" you have several synths, Strings, Bass , Choirs, Flutes, Marimba, Xylophone, there is a Piano and B3 Organ too.
Listen to the YRG Sounds here:
http://www.yourockguitar.com/music#
I like the neck - but lets face it, the fretboard will be the thing that may "wear out" after 5 years of solid play.

Or just sitting in the closet if you live in the Los Angeles area, the ozone may eventually wear it out if it sits un-played for 10 years.

This makes it a simple replacement, and it provides a path for future upgrades, like a version that might support string bending or Polyphonic Aftertouch. (Neither is possible with today's YRG hardware)

It feels like its robust and will take some abuse I suppose my only complaint with the neck is if you are far too heavy handed, and you grab a big "F bar chord at the first fret, you could force it to twist like a propeller - over time this may damage the internal membrane fretboard. But this thing is extremely well engineered - and its far more robust and playable than any other "toy guitar " I have ever played.

Also the whammy bar is extremely smooth, and feels just as nice as the one on the old Ibanez IMG-2010

Chord Voicings that can sound "off" on a normal non Buzz Feiten/Earvana equipped guitar - like those below the 5th fret on the top three strings, are finally available and sound very cool in the YRG.

The Tap mode is really awesome. I could play backing chord parts with my left hand, and reach over and play another instrument / or keyboard part with my right hand - in a live situation. this instrument opens lots of doors.

big wish list - Maybe Inspired Instruments can make an upgraded optional plugin Neck with a
Fretboard that provides Polyphonic MIDI Aftertouch" - this could address individual string bending, or vibrato on a string per string basis when used as a MIDi controller.

Remaining YRG Bugs (June, 30, 2010)

I'm one of those players who picks every note 99% of the time, and I had not stumbled on the YRG's single string Hammer On behavior until someone pointed it out to me. Yes, when playing a single string, mine reacts as if "Tap" mode is engaged, and all subsequent hammer-ons playing on the same string will trigger full velocity with no actual string picking (as if Tap mode was engaged) . I imagine a future firmware/ control panel app may provide a solution, if this behavior is not to your liking. Doesn't really bother me, as i can adapt my playing around it. just my opinion.

==
Today - I don't think of the YRG as a Guitar - I think of it as my doorway to full music composition. The "Tap" mode is superb, allows complete two handed Michael Hedges style playing, and with all the alternate tunings and 8 velocity curves coming soon, this is going to be a monster MIDI controller feeding Gtak controlling Ni Komplete with Kontact

http://evenharmonic.com/products/gtak
Can always connect the YRG to this app for expanding control

-------

http://evenharmonic.com/hmt1

HMT1

To celebrate our entry into the world of plugins, we're releasing a free one! HMT1 is a VST plugin for MIDI guitarists who use software instruments. Instead of sending your MIDI straight to a soft synth, route it through HMT1 for extra control.

With HMT1 you can:

* turn individual strings on and off
* route any string to any MIDI channel
* turn the MIDI on and off using a foot pedal
* block pitchbend messages

With Multiple HMT1's and software instruments:

* Quickly set up different instruments on different strings
* Switch between instruments using a MIDI pedalboard using the pedal control section
* Audition instruments that don't react to midi guitar pitchbend properly by blocking pitchbend

And there are lots of flashing lights so you can see what's happening to your MIDI.

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .