KMI SoftStep Foot Controller

Started by vanceg, October 28, 2010, 01:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

FWIW - the 1st gen SoftStep with its EL Lighting for foot switches radiates LOTS of EMF which invades most Audio Gear and Guitar pickups  - only way to tame this EMF noise is disable the  EL Lighting for SoftStep foot switches - which in effect makes them harder to see and use. Add the clunky Softstep Config app - still in Beta testing. this one is not among my favorite controllers

BTW - the Softstep Expander at $42 is the most affordable method of obtaining a 5 pin MIDI Out connection from SoftStep.

Also I find these are NOT durable - I'm on my 2nd Softstep

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/faqs#428113-can-i-turn-off-the-el

When I use SoftStep in my audio setup it tends to add some noise? What is that noise and how can I prevent it?

If you are experiencing noise or hum in your audio setup that you believe is caused by the SoftStep check to see if this is due to the Electro-Luminescent (EL) backlighting of the SoftStep by going into the Settings window of the SoftStep application and set the EL to off. If this makes the audio noise stop then what you'll want to do is adjust the grounding of your audio set up. Here are a few suggestions that could help you to be able to use the SoftStep with the EL on:

a. Try using a powered USB Hub for SoftStep. Having SoftStep separated from audio device plugged into USB could help because something else could hoarding the power or the computer might not be providing enough. Having a separate powered USB hub ensures SoftStep is getting the correct amount of power.

b. If you are using a laptop try using it without the power charger plugged into the laptop.

c. Make sure all power for your audio setup is coming from the same wall socket. Using 2 different sockets can sometimes cause hum in cases like this because different power sources can be producing slightly different amounts of AC.

Here is a diagram of a good way to set up that likely won't have grounding problems:?

black connections are power cables
blue connections are audio cables
green connections are USB cables

Note: Everything is connected to the same power outlet. The laptop in the picture is not hooked up to power because often a power charger connected to a laptop will be a source of noise. If using a desktop computer that requires power to turn on, you'll want it plugged into the power strip.

jassy

Thanks for the answer.

So your 2nd unit has the same EMF noise problem? and its solved in the -SoftStep version 2?

Elantric

QuoteSo your 2nd unit has the same EMF noise problem?

Yes

Quoteand its solved in the -SoftStep version 2?

Yes!

jassy

Searched some opinions in the net and many do not mention that EMF noise problem, although I found some that do mention it... maybe is a problem related to some configurations...

The question is that it has no competition, since it is the only one with that size and functions.

About the Softstep Expander, yes its the cheaper, but its only limited to use with the Softstep, right?
On the other side assuming that are functionally equivalent with the Softstep (kenton, incconectmidi4+ and Softstep expander) I need also to be able to operate with my Fhisman TP and the guitarwing that I hope to soon receive, I think that to use those combinated somewhat probably the only unit capable is the Interconnectmidi4+... hmm this is getting a bit complicated.

Elantric

Report back with what you discover

vanceg

Quote from: Elantric on January 22, 2014, 08:18:45 AM
Since each foot switch provides 4 axis tilt to send separate  MIDI CC# data depending on which direction each switch is pressed, I suspect the new design promotes those functions better than the old version.

I received my new Softstep 2 last week. I own the original Softstep as well.

Three things I like about the new version:
1) The rear buttons (labeled 6-0) are raised a little above the front row, making it easier to avoid accidentially stepping on the front buttons when attempting to step on the rear ones.

2) The new LED backlighting does not cause humm/buzz on my guitar.

3) The buttons DO seem more sensitive and it seems considerably easier to use them as X/Y pads. (though still a bit tricky with my clumsy feet)

Vade

I'm just getting started on my midi journey and would be grateful for a little help. I just picked up a SoftStep 2 and would like to route it to three other devices for changing patches and effects, e.g., in my DAW or in the Triple Play software. I was hoping to pick up something like the iConnectmidi4+ to connect 1: A PC when in my home Studio. 2: An IOS device. 3: A Voicelive 3. I'm just wondering if it's even possible for one SoftStep 2 to send midi commands to these three devices in an efficient manner such as a toggle setup or having separate commands for a selection of each devices patches. Any insight would be appreciated.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Elantric

QuoteI'm just getting started on my midi journey and would be grateful for a little help. I just picked up a SoftStep 2 and would like to route it to three other devices for changing patches and effects, e.g., in my DAW or in the Triple Play software

Typically a low cost 4 port output "MIDI Thru Box" is the tool you seek

http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/m-thru-5.shtml

or

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSLQUADTHRUPROC

QuoteI was hoping to pick up something like the iConnectmidi4+ to connect 1: A PC when in my home Studio. 2: An IOS device. 3: A Voicelive 3. I'm just wondering if it's even possible for one SoftStep 2 to send midi commands to these three devices

The  iConnectmidi4+ is a good expandable gear choice with many cool features and will also work instead of the MIDI Thru box (shown above) for your needs

Vade

Thanks for confirming that the iconnectmidi4+ will work well to link all this together Steve and I'll just assume, from the tenor of your post, that I can get my SoftStep 2 setup so that it will send midi commands to multiple devices once it's all connected. I was just a bit reluctant to buy the iconnect and tackle the midi routing problem while being unsure if what I had in mind was even possible. The tech guys at my local Sam Ash had no idea if it would work and so I thought it was time to ask the A team about it. Thanks again.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

Elantric

Your reference materials  to accomplish what you desire will be located here:

Download the Softstep Editor V2.xx

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/downloads

and read Softstep 2 Owners Manual
http://files.keithmcmillen.com/downloads/softstep/SoftStep_Manual_v2.01.pdf

Vade

Yup, both are already on my PC along with the VL3 manual. Surprisingly good reads although I'm not done with them yet. Looks like I'll be adding the iconnect manual to the reading list as well. I'm thinking this completes the heart of my system that you and others were kind enough to help me get a handle on all those months ago. Time to go work on my calluses again...

Vade

The SoftStep 2 is a bit of an odd beast in that it has a basic editor and an advanced editor. The factory patches on each seem to be labeled the same but differ in their base configuration. The advanced patches are loaded by default and appear not to be set up for use with an expression pedal and therefore you have to either edit the patches or load the versions found on the basic editor.

----------------------------------

Evan;

Also be sure that the preset does indeed have a Pedal Modline (for the advanced editor). A lot of the factory presets from the Basic editor use CC # 102 for the Pedal CC.

This is what a pedal modline will look like in the editor. I have it set on the navpad here:
modline

Make sure that your output port is set to whatever you are monitoring.

-Evan B.
Technical Support at KMI

Elantric

20% off new  KMI SoftStep 2

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15163.msg108319#msg108319

For anyone that is interested in Keith McMillen controllers like the SoftStep and Quneo:

NOII.SE has started a partnership with KMI where all FLUX:FX users can get a one-time 20%-off discount code to use at their online store [url]http://www.keithmcmillen.com/shop/]http://www.keithmcmillen.com/shop/] [url]http://www.keithmcmillen.com/shop/[/url].

More info here: http://bit.ly/FLUX_Step

Adrian Belew and NOIISE are excited to announce a partnership with Keith McMillen Instruments, makers of the most awesome hardware controllers around. The KMI SoftStep2 is the perfect controller to match with your iPad running FLUX:FX, with 10 gesture-sensitive pads registering pressure and position that let you actually PLAY your effects, live or in the studio. We are offering a 20% KMI discount voucher to all FLUX:FX owners – all you have to do is send us an email message via the FEEDBACK tab in the app. It can be a new feature suggestion, a bug report, a hate note... or even better a LOVE note.  Send us the email and we will send you a code that you can redeem one time for 20% off via www.keithmcmillen.com/shop. Its as simple as that! And if you haven't yet bought the app, now is the perfect time.

So why are the Keith McMillen hardware controllers like the SoftStep and the QuNeo such a perfect match for the FLUX:FX app?  Unparalleled expression capabilities, flexibility, portability, customization... the list goes on. The SoftStep2 allows you to match the touch-based editing possibilities of the FLUX:FX app with hands-free performance options, and it is incredibly simple to set up!

And for all you SoftStep users, head over here to grab Adrian's own special performance FLUX:FX preset – built by NOIISE audio mastermind and head of Studio Belew, Daniel Rowland.

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/projects/fluxfx-softstep-preset/

by Flux:FX

May 1, 2015

This preset is created for SoftStep's "standalone" mode, so it does not require a computer connection.

Each FLUX:FX bank has 6 Performance presets for recall. A Performance includes all effect and sequencer settings, as well as XY assignments and modulation routings. These are recalled in our SoftStep preset by keys 1-3 (Performances 1-3), and just above that, keys 6-8 (Performances 4-6).

Key 4 toggles the FLUX:FX sequencer on and off, allowing you to play back pre-recorded XY movements to control the effects. The sequencer can play back these moves exactly the way they were recorded, or using the randomize slider on the Sequencer page, can ensure that the pattern never plays the same way twice.

Key 5 controls the Tap Tempo feature. Tap this key 5 times and you will set the main tempo of FLUX:FX, which the sequencer and any BPM-synced effect parameters will follow. If the app is locked to an external MIDI clock signal, this key will not do anything. You can enable/disable Sync to MIDI Clock via the MIDI Setting tab in FLUX:FX preferences.

Key 9 toggles the global wet/dry mix of FLUX:FX. Think of this as an on/off switch for the entire effect–0% or 100%. Some users may want to assign this to the Softstep expression pedal jack, to continuously control the wet/dry blend. In that case, use CC # 4 for global wet/dry. Other uses for the expression pedal might be for controlling input volume (CC# 3) or output volume (CC#7).

Key 0 controls the main XY pad in FLUX:FX. This will do the same thing as touching the XY pad with your finger, as you can rock your foot left/right (x-axis) and up/down (y-axis). Make sure that the wet/dry mix is at 100% (key 9), or you won't hear anything! Of course, there are a number of different ways to assign the main XY to control effects in FLUX:FX. There are some presets where it does nothing at all, and others where none of the effects with come on until your press the XY. This can all be changed easily by the user–just check out the first 3 tutorial banks in the FLUX:FX to learn how.

The SoftStep Nav pad does nothing in FLUX:FX. It will still change presets on the SoftStep.

Tonato

Hi there!

I am thinking in buying a foot controller for the VG99 and that I could also use for looping with ableton live. Hence, I am thinking the footstep 2 would be great for that for what I have seen and read in the forum.

I live in uk and the price here is around £230 ($250). For that money I could get an FC300 here (second hand or discounted in a music shop I know). I am wondering if the footstep would be a better choice to buy than the FC300? What do u think?

Thanks!!!!

Vade

Morning Tonato;

SoftStep 2 is very likely a viable option for you depending on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're looking for something for live use then perhaps the lighter weight of the SoftStep 2 would make it a better choice than the FC-300 but then you'd lose the expression pedals. The answer to your question would seem to lie in the use you need it for in relation to the rest of the equipment you'll be using.

In the following thread you were experimenting quite a bit with the RC-300 for looping but now you seem interested in Ableton's looper.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7995.0

I've been working my way through similar issues with getting soft synth output into a looper. I ended up using the Scarlett Mix Control software with my Scarlett 18i8's headphone output into my VL3's aux input to accomplish this in a way similar to the side chain solution suggested by Elantric in post #25 of the thread. I just used a 1/4" to 1/8" cable and did the routing via software; all seems good thus far. So it is possible just in case you're turning to Ableton's looper as an alternative out of frustration.

That said I'm going to repost a write up I did regarding SoftStep 2 midi setup just in case you missed it and hopefully that will give some insight as you make your decision.

Using SoftStep 2 for midi control

Below is a picture with several elements of the SoftStep 2 control software opened as well as a photo of the SoftStep 2 foot pedal and Windows ease of access keyboard opened. I've "highlighted" a few elements in red boxes to illustrate some useful setup elements. I'm going to try to describe the setup in detail so that those who are less familiar with midi are able to follow the steps to get their SoftStep 2 up and running. I'm pretty new to midi myself and I found it frustrating to have to spend 20 minutes trying to google how to do something that's easy once you know how.

At the top left I've red box highlighted the SoftStep 2 Advanced Editor. I'm using this in "Hosted" mode (red box) which means I must have the Editor opened and running in Windows when I want to use the SoftStep 2 for midi control. This allows me to gain some functions that are not available in "Standalone" mode and I've had no issues arise from running the Editor at the same time as my DAW. For instance, I have opened the "Key 8 Modulation" window by clicking on the circle with the "8" in the Editor window. Note the red box to the left of the photo which contains the "mode" and "value" "inits." In hosted mode you can use these to set an initial level your control defaults to when the pedal is first pressed. I have the mode set to "once" and the value set to "100". This way when I first press the number 8 pedal on my SoftStep 2 the track volume I have selected for the Y increment goes to 100 which is the volume I wish this track to default to the first time I press the pedal. I have done the same for the x increment of init number 4. I use this setting for controlling the volume of the guitar and microphone. If I'm setting up the track for synths I prefer to have the initial volume at zero and so I set the "value" to zero rather than 100. So, pedal 9 on my SoftStep 2 is linked to the synth track I use for my FTP feed from my guitar and the synth defaults to zero volume. I then raise the volume using the pedal to bring my FTP synth up in the mix. Looking at the red box under "Output Settings" we see that I'm using a message type of "cc", a cc number of 61 on channel one, and the output is going to "LoopBe Internal MIDI." At this time, Windows requires a third party solution to route your output from the SoftStep 2 Editor into your DAW. LoopBe1 is a free bit of software that installs a virtual midi port to achieve this and it does so automatically when the software is installed. Just select it in the SoftStep Editor and then in your DAW's midi inputs. There are other software solutions that offer increased function and control for virtual midi if you feel you need it.

http://www.nerds.de/en/download.html

In the "Key 8 Modulation" window I clicked on the "LED+Display Settings" area which is now highlighted in blue near the top left of the "Key 8 Modulation" window. This opened the controls for the LED lights. I named the key TK12 to stand for Tracks 1&2 in my DAW. I have the green LED light up when I use the Y axis (up/down) and the red LED lights when I use the X axis (left/right.) This gives me a visual cue that I'm controlling the correct track volume I'm aiming to change which can be useful although I tend to look towards the volume slider of the track in my DAW to fine tune the level instead. I find I can use the controls with little trouble when I'm not wearing shoes. I can raise and lower volumes individually or together by pressing both arms of the cruciform button. Upper right for raising and lower left for lowering. I can cross fade volumes by pressing both arms in the upper left or lower right quadrants of the button.

In the upper right of the photo I have opened the "Key 1 Modulation" window and this is set to play a note. This note is set to play "middle" C since I've put "60" in the note value under output settings. You can see what values to put in for different notes and octaves at this site but it would benefit newbies (like myself) to read the text below the table...

http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/tscarff/Music_technology/midi/midi_note_numbers_for_octaves.htm

The SoftStep 2 has 16 different slots and so it would be possible to set up different variations. In this example I have the key of C Maj available on my SofStep 2 to drive samples/synths with the key number corresponding to the numbering of the scale so that key one is your tonic etc. But here I have only used the Y axis and it's also possible to use the X axis for sharps or flats although the fine control needed to accurately sound the correct notes could be problematic. It's possible to copy your key setup by clicking on the grey area in the key box and then pasting this into the next key box. You then just modify the particular changes needed such as changing the note value when setting up key 2 to note D for instance. I've considered using most of my sixteen available presets to give me easy and accurate access to some of the more common scales as discussed here...

http://www.hooktheory.com/blog/i-analyzed-the-chords-of-1300-popular-songs-for-patterns-this-is-what-i-found/

That said I'm not sure whether or not I'll pursue that option as using my midi control for more volume controls might be preferable. I might also set up some of my pedal keys to just control the volume of a single track to make it easier to use when wearing shoes.
I'm also considering using the SoftStep 2 for common keystroke commands to use in transport controls for my DAW as discussed here...

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-midi-translation-midi-to-keystrokes--audio-6914

So, I've a world of possibilities in front of me but I have a lot of experimentation to do to see what yields the most sensible use of these capabilities. I'd be interested in what some of you more seasoned troubadours find most useful in a midi control pedal if any care to chime in.

I've also integrated my expression pedal into my SoftStep 2 but I've not decided what I wish it to control as of yet. Some of the default programs have an expression pedal setup that you can look into using the basic editor since I don't have a screenshot and it's been awhile since I set mine up. Feel free to ask if you need me to review and share pedal setup.

The last area I've highlighted shows my use of the "ease of access" keyboard I'm using with my touch screen monitor (find this keyboard in the control panel under "ease of access".) It provides keys useful in DAW control and some of those keys are unavailable in the regular touch screen keyboard. It's also useful to be able to dock the keyboard and in addition pressing the "Nav" button at the top right of the keyboard minimizes the keyboard so you can see more of your DAW.

I hope this is of use to some of you and feel free to ask or share as you wish.

Cheers!

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Edit: KMI RE; SoftStep 2

"Windows Class-Compliant Device Limitation
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 do not allow a class-compliant MIDI
device to be connected to more than a single application at a time. As a class-compliant MIDI
controller, this applies to the SoftStep.
The result of this is that if you have two or more audio/MIDI applications open at the same time
(the Advanced Editor and Ableton Live, for example), only one of them will be able to connect to
the SoftStep. Because of this it is highly recommended to never edit the SoftStep with other audio
applications open — it could lead to connectivity issues, and a very confusing, frustrating
experience."

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8393.msg108402;topicseen#msg108402

Tonato

Hey Vade MANY thanks for your answer! Really helpful to read your experience on the footstep2. Sorry it took me a while to reply, I've been quite busy with work but I have some days to spend on my studio now and the idea of a foot controller keeps coming back when I play the vg99 or gr55 or even looping. I'm kinda thinking in a way to prepare a live set with the gr55, a 25notes midi controller (bought the novation sl25 mk2 and I'm very happy with it) and looper.

Anyway, just wanted to ask a question in regard the footstep 2 before I decide to buy it. Apart from being able to use more exp pedals on the FC300, is there any other main feature why I should consider buying it rather than the footstep? I like the practicality of the footstep, small and light, and that's a reason I'm consider in buying it, but I don't know if the fc300 would be a better choice, considering the prices are not very different.

Secondly, I'm aware that to use it directly to the vg99, gr55 or vg88 I will need the usb to midi box. Do you think that In a near future Keith will make a footstep with a 5 pin midi out? The less gear/adapters  the better for live purposes I believe.

Many thanks for your help guys, you really rock!!! :)

Regards!

Toni

Vade

@Tonato; "Secondly, I'm aware that to use it directly to the vg99, gr55 or vg88 I will need the usb to midi box. Do you think that In a near future Keith will make a footstep with a 5 pin midi out?"

I've not run across any details concerning future versions of KMI's midi controllers. Perhaps some of the folks on the forum with access to inside information can give you some insight on that. The 5 pin midi out isn't an issue for me since I have a mini pc in my pedal board and the SoftStep's usb just gets plugged in directly. You're probably already aware of it but here's a link to a GP-10 and general midi routing solution based upon using a Raspberry Pi instead...

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11998.0

@Tonato; "Apart from being able to use more exp pedals on the FC300, is there any other main feature why I should consider buying it rather than the footstep? I like the practicality of the footstep, small and light, and that's a reason I'm consider in buying it, but I don't know if the fc300 would be a better choice, considering the prices are not very different."

There's some info in my blog thread about dealing with KMI starting at post #91 and Elantric goes into some detail as to the drawbacks of KMI's design such as gluing the unit shut so no repairs are easy to do. The FC300 would seem to have the lead as it relates to the issues discussed in the thread.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10117.75

As to the features, you can easily get an overview of that from the manuals or YouTube demos. I'm just not very familiar with the FC300 although it seems to have a good reputation and a robust set of features. The main problem for me was that I wanted to be able to bring all my gear in and out of gigs in one trip and the FC300 was just too big for my needs. Thus far my SoftStep 2 is meeting my needs and I'd buy it again if I needed a replacement.

Elantric

For latest Positive Grid BIAS FX (IOS) - This is working very well for me.

* Apple iPad AIR 128GB

* Focusrite ITrack Dock (With AC Power conditioner or Battery Power)

* KMI SoftStep2 MIDI Footcontroller

Still debugging MIDI Control , but the tones are astounding.

Elantric

Despite my terrible prior experience with the old SoftStep, the latest KMI SoftStep2 with its faster CPU and all LED illumination  is a joy to use, works far superior compared to the old Softstep, and finally I can use it near mag pickups and be free of the radiated Backlight EMF hum.

Tonato

Quote from: Elantric on July 09, 2015, 07:52:08 AM
Despite my terrible prior experience with the old SoftStep, the latest KMI SoftStep2 with its faster CPU and all LED illumination  is a joy to use, works far superior compared to the old Softstep, and finally I can use it near mag pickups and be free of the radiated Backlight EMF hum.

Many thanks Elantric for sharing your experience with the Softstep 2. I am going to buy one in the next weeks and after reading that post I just wondered if you there was a difference in the firsts SS2 and the latest ones? or are referring to the SS1 vs SS2? Thanks!

Elantric

Its original KMI SoftStep (201 1- 2013)

vs KMI SoftStep2 (Jan. 2014 - current )

The SS2 is enjoyable and swift reaction to my feet -and HUM Free!

Tonato

Many thanks! I am definitely getting one in the next couple of days! :) Cheers!

vanceg

Quote from: Tonato on July 09, 2015, 10:16:53 AM
Many thanks! I am definitely getting one in the next couple of days! :) Cheers!

I totally agree - The SoftStep II is really a mature solid product.  what we all wanted out of the SS1.  Recommended.