Wild Crow - Crazy (Update video on YouTube)

Started by Elboy, February 28, 2010, 12:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elboy

Hi Guys
Well i posted a song from my previous band that disappointed a few as there were no guitars!!  sorry about that it will not happen again.  This is from the my new band.

The main guitar is my Dark fire going through a big muff tone wicker.
Lead guitar is my 12 year old with an Eastwood Airline  using a Beringer reberb machine, a Beringer distortion/overdrive, BOSS MT2 and a digitech wammy.  The reverb machine was set to echo and long delay which creates noise going into the distortion pedal giving break up.

I hope this is guitar enough this time.  Any comments good or bad are very welcome

we are on myspace http://www.myspace.com/wildcrows

UPDATE - We have posted a video for the song on YouTube to test out some tricks with slowing down and speeding up sound and video.  We are going to do a better version however thought i would share to get some feedback.  Recorded on a very low cost video camera using Abelton to slow the sound and imovie to speed it all up again.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Crazy+by+Wild+Crow&aq=f
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp

icing777-fgn

Hey, Elboy!
Not my kind of music, but nice work!    Keep it coming!
Play on, my friend !!!

Elboy

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and to give feedback.
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV

shawnb-fgn

I think this song is great - I love the energy.   It has dynamics, it takes you somewhere & then back home again.   I've always loved a good mix of techno & guitar & this is right up that alley.   

The hardest part of any such song is the mix, there are a lot of disparate elements to fuse together.  To my ears, I would recommend emphasizing the vox & the rhythm guitar more in the mix.   Rhythm guitar needs a little more upper mids, a touch more bite.   One of the cymbals in the synth drums (hi-hat? ride?) needs to come down a bit, to make the highs a little less crowded. 

I am NOT good at mixing myself.  It's far easier to give mixing advice than to do the mix yourself...

A solid, fun tune!   Love it! 
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

Elboy

Thank you SO much for your advise and comments.  I was thinking a bit that way myself.  To be honest i have never been confident in my singing so i tend to keep in perhaps a bit low in the mix.  As far as the rhythm guitar i think we should have put a mic on the amp as i get far better and clearer tone that way.  When we recorded it i put it from the pedal board straight to the desk and i think we lost something.  I am semi happy with it because i thought we captured the energy of the song which i always think is difficult in the studio (especially vocals when you have cans on).  Once again thank you.
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV

shawnb-fgn

LIke I said, I love the tune. 

I think this is a lesson for you - follow your instincts.   If you think something should be done, do it!
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

MCK-fgn

Hi Elboy. Great band. I'm not into techno myself but I love the song nevertheless. I could hear the same song re-arranged as a good Punk mix. Also something interesting happened. Just as I started listening to the song a fire engine went by wailing. At first I wasn't sure if it was part of your mix or not. It really worked well for me. If you have a fire engine sound try overlaying it somewhere around the beginning. Keep up the great work.

PS. I love the way your names also work together... Duke & Ellington on guitars!!! Way to go!
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Elboy

I am going to try that haha! The clash was one of my fav bands growing up and they put a police siren at the beginning of White Riot.  It also worked well with the Jams Taylor Quartette on the Starsky & Hutch Theme tune so i shall give it a go and post the mix. 

Duke is my 12 year old boy, he plays the lead part and is the lead guitarist in the  band.  My idea is that we normalise him to playing live.  By the time he is 18 he should be a good solid pro. (he wants to be the best guitarist in the world  :) ) so i though, ok lets do it.  We designed al his lessons around our music.  His lessons are technical, mostly theory based studying the neck and linking scales and modes.  He also focuses on technique.  His homework is to come up with 3 alternative lead parts for each song and  also to learn all other guitar parts for each song.  He is loving it and it seems to be working well (it was either this or we were going to build an E type Jag together hahaha).  We are in the studio over the next few weeks and I will post the songs as they come out. 

TKs so much for taking the time to listen, i really appreciate your comments
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV

MCK-fgn

You're right of course. Perhaps subconsciously I was thinking Clash as I listened to your recording and heard the sirens...

Sounds like your son is really involved & engaged. That's wonderful. Wish you all the best on the quest. We started bumping heads with my 13 year old... She thinks I'm too sloppy and don't play the parts as intended. I tend to improvise and change a lot and she likes perfection. Oh well... Kids these days!

PS. Building an E type sounds great! I hope to be able to do some serious restoration in future.
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Johnnyurq-fgn

I liked the tune as it meshes a few genres I appreciate in my eclectic range of tastes. Punk/New Wave/electronica being a few.

I see you are not too far away from where I am in Inverness and when you get gigging there is a place called Hootenany's in Inverness that showcases original bands a few nights a week. Definately worth sending in a demo as they have had a few bands from your neck of the woods on the gig list.

Keep insipring your lad as there are too many his age giving up on real guitar when they find out it is harder and more disciplined than Guitar Hero et al.

Not that there is anything wrong with GH and gaming at all as they are good in their own way too.

Elboy

That's wierd you mention guitar hero because that's how it started for my lad. He ended up completing it all right through expert. Looking at it, I think it was a good tool because it made him use his little finger and music tastes are very much guitar focused. After he completed it he was looking and ready to try the real thing.
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV

Johnnyurq-fgn

Your lad must be better focussed because my experience of the younger ones around here is that when they go on to learn guitar they lose interest quickly.

This seems to be due to it requiring more work (slower progress) and focus being required. It takes longer to get a pay off where as GH and RB it can be instant gratification.

I guess I was optimistic that we would see more up and coming young guitarists and so far only a few seem to want to carry on for the longer haul.

Maybe it is just my area but friends in other parts of the UK and on other forums people seem to be saying similar things. This includes a few friends that teach guitar formally as part of their living.

I hope that is just apathy in my area or that the trend reverses soon.

Elboy

My lad is a sticker, probable one of the most focussed people i know! He was a black belt when he was 10 so he understands hard graft.  If his was not interested though he wouldn't do it, i think the trick is to keep him engaged so as well as solid practice he has full practice with the band.  He is also switching on big time to the neck moving away from scales so he becoming a solid player
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV