Action and alternate tunings

Started by cgarlie-fgn, December 15, 2009, 07:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cgarlie-fgn

How do you Dark Fire guys use the alternate tunings and set your action?

I guess I'm sort of limited since the only alternate tunings I use are for slide. Since I'm not a great slide player, I like the slide action a little higher (so I have a separate guitar for this since I like my normal action fairly low) -- how do you DF players handle this -- or are the alternate tuning mainly used for cool finger picking songs?

Charlie

Gibson Digital Les Paul (HD-6X)
PRS SC245 (57/08)
Gibson '83 Lucille
SRV Custom Strat
"Claptonized" 60th Anniversary Strat
PRS SAS
(Original) Dan Armstrong "See-through"
Variax JTV-69

riffanvil

i find a lighter slide that fits well permits lower action.  i only use guitars i build so the necks are dresses to be pretty true.  for gigs it is important to have a versatile setup and the lighter slide still makes standard tuning leads and bar chords easier than optimal higher action setting when using a heavier slide.  unless you have several guitars or or don't switch back and forth from open to std tuning a compromise is best.  at least for me.  i am in and out of slide tunings all during a song using my s1 s2 switch.  the slide hangs on the back of my headstock with velcro.
high action and heavy slides sound great if you are not fingering the frets or have strong tough paws.