Bad Guitar Shop Experiences

Started by Welshman-fgn, August 09, 2009, 09:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhcole-fgn

Well,

It's not always this way. Last year I was looking for a jazz guitar at a local mom n' pop music store and a salesman came up to me and practically begged to help me. He said he's a jazz fanatic who gets up at 5 AM to practice 7 hours everyday. He clearly held my playing with polite disdain, but was absolutely thrilled to show me every jazz box in the house. It was like discussing fine wines. He was a bit disappointed that I didn't buy the beat-up 50's Epiphone (that's what he would buy), but was incredibly helpful and was determined to help me find the tone I was looking for.

Chain music stores tend to be different than this. They treat their employees like cattle and hire and fire 'em in bulk.

The_Fuzz22

Argh, can't believe the nerve of some people my age.

I've applied for a job at Anderton's in Guildford over the summer, let it be known I'll treat anyone and everyone with the respect they deserve for having the courage to even walk in the door of that place considering the usual attitude they've got towards prospective customers.
Granted I'm studying English and Philosophy... But this is what I actually DO:
www.reverbnation.com/jonnyvaughan
www.myspace.com/jonnyvaughan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jonny-Vaughan/49440122683

BobTheDog-fgn

I had a good one a couple of years ago.

I walked into a local small music shop to ask about someone doing some setup work on my Brian Moore guitar, the guy corrected me by saying something like "I think you will find it's a Brian May guitar", I told him again it was a Brian Moore and he got corrected me again!

I walked out.

Welshman-fgn

I've just had another classic - again in Cardiff - Gamlins this time.
I've mentioned elsewhere in the forum that I've been looking for a Hiwatt CP103 and that I found one on the shelf for £1200. I went back and, on closer inspection, It has torn tolex and has obviously been on the shelf for YEARS as it is THICK with dust. I asked him about a discount due to the condition and he told me that he would rather have the amp sat there for ever than to sell it at a discount.
The main UK dealer for Hiwatt have offered me a discount if I buy it with a cab and that's for a built to order brand new one - if I do go ahead and buy it, guess who's getting my business.
NEVER buy guitar gear in Cardiff!
If you find a cure for GAS let me know!!!!!

aliensporebomb-fgn

Weird guitar shop experiences lately:

-some guy was playing the head to The Mahavishnu's Orchestra's "Dance of Maya" on a Gibson Howard Roberts
fusion model guitar.  And doing a great job of it.  Terrifying.  You could see the salesguys looking at him like he
was some kind of alien, all youngish guys who'd never heard that before and were probably thinking he had
made it up off the top of his head.

-I went into a store I'd last been in several months back and not only did the salesguy recognize me but
  remembered me from when I was last in when I was helping a friend pick his first tube amplifier out!  Weird.

No terrible treatment this business quarter.  The economy must be suffering...

Elantric-fgn

In 2 months when I get my head above water - shoot your Princeton my way and let me fix it for parts only. I have the parts in my shed to build three princton's

I used to repair those all the time. like riding a bicycle to me.

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .