Suggest a Tutorial!

Started by Elantric-fgn, May 30, 2009, 11:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric-fgn

Suggest a Tutorial!

Here at the FGN production studio,  we are allocating our priorities.

Please suggest which aspect of the Dark Fire requires a Tutorial?
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

panrixx

How about something on the subject of the best way to get the most out of your DF, controller, Guitar Rig, Appleton software/PC, etc?  Best methods of interfacing and connecting them to each other to gain maximum effect.

panrixx

For those who are new to the whole Guitar/PC/Software technical revolution, how about a tutorial on the basics of the subject - or does everyone but me know already?

squidfinger

Is there anyone who knows the procedure to doing a reset on the Gibson DF? I have seen the references to this ability but I have so far missed the documentation & procedure. During my first few weeks with my DF LP I must have pushed, pulled and input some info into my MCK memory that has cause my 'normal 440 Hz reference tuning' to be one full note too low. I learned this by trying to reference 440Hz tuning on my DF with my electronic KORG tuner. Did I inadvertently 'custom tune' my Standard tuning?
In any case, does anyone have the ingredients for the 'secret sauce?' (Reset)

By the by, I have grown to 'love' the DF Les Paul and find it to be a fantastic guitar. I have owned a 1955 Fender Esquire, a Broadcaster( nocaster?)....both traded 'up' for my 1963 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman in 1966. Boy, I thought I got a great deal at the time! I've also owned a 70's Guild D-50, Martin D18 & currently own a Yuri Alverez handmade. Additionally, I have a 2006 Gibson Ebony Custom Classic LesPaul with slim taper neck and 2 P90 P/U's....a Gibson Guitar of the month (i was always attached to those Fender style single coil p/u's). I took a big chance buying another Les Paul. I was originally distressed with the seemingly unfinished 'orange peel' back and neck on the new DF. My top finish is both 'flamed' and swirled giving it a deep 3-d effect. Anyway, this guitar has so grown on me that my first playing impressions were 180 degrees from my opinion now. I am not a great accomplished player after 35 yrs stop/start playing but this axe has got me totally immersed. What a great guitar! My purchase of the 2006 LesPaul did not 'wet' my appetite for guitar playing. The DF has. It was & is a paradigm shifting guitar.
This is just my 2 cents worth about my impressions and thoughts re this remarkable guitar.

Thanks for any reseting MCK reference help.

Squidfinger

simont-fgn

Enter Setup Mode
1. Pull the MCK out, and turn it counter-clockwise to the b# symbol (in any Bank).
2. Press on the Display Matrix for at least two seconds until it shows a pink "Enter" symbol
(which looks like an arrow), then release the MCK..
3. Press on the Display Matrix again for at least two seconds until it shows a cyan "Enter"
symbol.
4. Dark Fire is now in Setup Mode. In addition to the cyan "Enter" symbol, the b LED will shine
yellow as confirmation. You are now ready to select a function.

NOTE : the §  symbol means "rotate the MCK fully counterclockwise
then press the Display Matrix momentarily."

FUNCTION 109

Clickstream 109§

Rotate the MCK until the Display Matrix shows the number 1
Press momentarily on the MCK. 1 will flash red to confirm it has been entered.
Do the same for number 0 and number 9
§ rotate the MCK fully counterclockwise
then press the Display Matrix momentarily

Wait  for RED ?  to appear
Rotate MCK to the blue "Y" ("Yes"), then press the Display Matrix momentarily
Rotate MCK to the "Enter" sign, then press the Display Matrix momentarily
Push the MCK back in.

.....or RTFM   ;)

icing777-fgn

Hi, squid!
you can get the latest manual from Gibson now. It is a good one!

Glad you enjoy the DF, post pictures in the proper topic.
Cheers!
Play on, my friend !!!

simont-fgn

Quote from:  icing777 on June 17, 2009, 09:22:04 AM

you can get the latest manual from Gibson now. It is a good one!

I would suggest you use this manual rather that the one on the Gibson site
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=136

It has a few errors but is more detailed and easier to understand

squidfinger

Thanks, guys! Appreciate the info and forum shortcut help. I gotta lotsa reading to do, still. One big bummer re my computer is that I have the newer Apple (2008) 13.3 Aluminum MacBook 2.4 Ghz w/4GB RAM. It's got lots of power and an NVidia 9400 graphics chip but unfortunately Apple left off the frikin firewire port. My understanding was that Steve Jobs was figuring that USB 3.0 was going to obviate firewire/ilink I1394 protocol in the future (it likely will if it can daisy chain). I guess the ensuing stink was humungous as the 2009 13.3 Mac has reinserted the firewire 800 port. Is USB 2.0 supported in any way with the DF? Go figure having a newer dual core Mac with no firewire. I bet this is what the first gen RoboGuitar folks feel like. I will post pix on forum files as mentioned.....and thanks again!!

By the way, I live in Silicone Valley near Stanford so high end tech is a given around here, Still, this DF guitar has got all the techies in stupefying amazement and real Guitar Hero wonderment/worship!! That ain't easy around here.

SquidFinger

simont-fgn

Quote from:  squidfinger on June 17, 2009, 01:03:33 PM

Is USB 2.0 supported in any way with the DF?
SquidFinger
Afraid your out of luck there Squid.

MCK-fgn

Quote from:  squidfinger on June 17, 2009, 01:03:33 PM
By the way, I live in Silicone Valley near Stanford so high end tech is a given around here, Still, this DF guitar has got all the techies in stupefying amazement and real Guitar Hero wonderment/worship!! That ain't easy around here.

SquidFinger

Thanks for sharing that! Thats great feedback.
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0