GearShift & GP-10

Started by Brak(E)man, September 08, 2021, 10:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

A very rough improvised piece.
All FX are from the GearShift and GP-10 and Fernandes Sustainer.
Only added reverb in the mix + normal eq, compression etc.

I'm not setup properly on the GearShift yet so some of the playing is rough.
But here's an example of 3 patches from GearShift , some mixed in via expression pedal
and some full on , with 4 patches of mine from GP-10 one with "synth" mixed in.

Sustainer, envelope ADSR , modulation and arpeggio fx are used on GearShift.

www.brakophonic.com/gEarShift.mp3
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Nobulusprime

That sounds great as a combination of things you can certainly hear the ADSR and modulation
As for the sustainer it's difficult to tell what is the Fernandez and what is the GX2. I can hear the arpeggiator slightly towards the end.

What I really liked was the way the GX2 makes it that bit more organic especially the way the arpeggiator varies the volume. It reminded me of some of the breaking up vibe on the pads in these two Natalie Beridze tracks - who I've been listening to of late

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpvCTd3h2EM&list=PL7vsYmM6Ug0iMIfFJ8z0P26oB66tS9Y_2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7O-NsY04xA&list=PL7vsYmM6Ug0iMIfFJ8z0P26oB66tS9Y_2&index=22

CodeSmart

Quote from: Brak(E)man on September 08, 2021, 10:50:34 AM
Sustainer, envelope ADSR , modulation and arpeggio fx are used on GearShift.
www.brakophonic.com/gEarShift.mp3
Way Cool!
I'm very happy to contribute with something (the GX-2) that may enhance/alter or give your your creations/soundscapes a little extra.
By the way, the GP-10 is underestimated by many. You proved it here.
Tack!
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

CodeSmart

Quote from: Nobulusprime on September 08, 2021, 12:06:10 PM
As for the sustainer it's difficult to tell what is the Fernandez and what is the GX2.

The "Sustainer" in the GX-2 is simple an amplification of gain up to possible 31.5dB as the signal dies.
It's not a really a sustainer, I would compare it to a compressor/expander pedal on steroids.
When the string vibration is dead and there's no way to for the GX-2 to keep it alive,
(unless you're standing at higher volume near the loadspeaker to get physical feed-back).
Don't expect it to be a replacement for a Fernandez. It's just a volume amp thing, no less, no more.

gumtown

Quote from: CodeSmart on September 08, 2021, 01:36:56 PM
The "Sustainer" in the GX-2 is simple an amplification of gain up to possible 31.5dB as the signal dies.
It's not a really a sustainer, I would compare it to a compressor/expander pedal on steroids.
When the string vibration is dead and there's no way to for the GX-2 to keep it alive,
(unless you're standing at higher volume near the loadspeaker to get physical feed-back).
Don't expect it to be a replacement for a Fernandez. It's just a volume amp thing, no less, no more.

It might be just that, but I am sure there is a lot more going on in the GX-2,
HYPE IT UP !!!
The GX-2 boosts your guitars sustain with a special (TM) "Electron Magnification" process that only superior products can provide.
With the ability to make your guitar tone as smooth as snake oil.

;D ;D ;D 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Frank

Quote from: gumtown on September 08, 2021, 02:00:26 PM
It might be just that, but I am sure there is a lot more going on in the GX-2,
HYPE IT UP !!!
The GX-2 boosts your guitars sustain with a special (TM) "Electron Magnification" process that only superior products can provide.
With the ability to make your guitar tone as smooth as snake oil.

;D ;D ;D

And the first edition blue model, with the stainless steel screws, sounds better than the later version: when they changed the paint formula.

Nobulusprime

Quote from: CodeSmart on September 08, 2021, 01:36:56 PM

I'm aware of that and I've got a Fernandez sustainer myself so all good on that front. ;D The thing on the 'sustainer' I'm mainly interested is how soon it kicks in after the signal starts to decay and whether that attack can be adjusted. With a Fernandez the sustainer takes a while before it becomes noticeable so it swells on the decay of the string.

Anyhow I'm being impatient - I just need to wait until it arrives! :D

CodeSmart

Quote from: Nobulusprime on September 08, 2021, 03:50:41 PM
I'm aware of that and I've got a Fernandez sustainer myself so all good on that front. ;D The thing on the 'sustainer' I'm mainly interested is how soon it kicks in after the signal starts to decay and whether that attack can be adjusted. With a Fernandez the sustainer takes a while before it becomes noticeable so it swells on the decay of the string.

Anyhow I'm being impatient - I just need to wait until it arrives! :D
See the manual "SUSTAINER EFFECT" (currently page 26).
http://primovasound.com/pdf/GX2_Ref_Manual.pdf
First you set a trigger level and after that the swell begins. The time of the swell (linear increase) may be set [0.5-3.0s] as well as the final gain obtained at end of the ramp-up period. After this time have elapsed the time to maintain the final gain may be set [0.5-30 sec] until going back to default gain.

The process will restart immediately a new note reach the trigger level.

I'm packing your unit right now as I'm posting this  :)

Nobulusprime

Super flexible then!

I'm getting excited!

chrish

One of the things I liked about member Smash's Blade Runner patch on the VG99 was how he programed each string with amplitude and pan modulation. That really helps give movement to the sustained sound.

Sounds like this pedal can also perform this hex modulation funtion well in amplitude? does it also do pan?

To me sustained sounds that don't move are annoying to the ears.

CodeSmart

The unit may modulate/pan between the two GK outputs, or use different effects on each GK output.

whippinpost91850

Yadrichik Chaya

Waaah! How did I miss this track? Amazing!  ;D

Downloaded and will be put on repeat!

Earshift :)

plexified

I don't care to hear about what was used in this recording. The recording was spectacular and took my brain far away. I would call this excessive success. Please do not take my brain that far away next time sir Brak(E)man. Finesse  please. However, the uber grind metal jib you do is another fulcrum slash spectacular event myself and an unusually large amount of friends would enjoy to experience albeit live time stream or in person with huge fire and evening wine tones would surely encapsulate an unforgettable dinner experience unparalleled in human history. Just a suggestion. You have an untapped market waiting for endless streams of your work. REMARKABLE !

edit: I just listened a few more times and I can't help but feel that your in Deathwish zone from Jimmy Page where he stepped out from his world. Here I can feel this almost tightrope walk and journey without conclusion into an unknown and its just epic and endless. Thanks for tolerating my running on. I love it. Endless is the key.

aliensporebomb

That is an amazing piece.  A high water mark for the GP-10 thanks to the GearShift.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Brak(E)man

Thanx
And a big thank you to Robert for an amazing box.

( and yes the GP is very underrated imho )
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

jim-analog

Greetings,

Fantastic demo Brak(e)man, really enjoyed it far beyond the instructional aspect. An awesome new box from CodeSmart as well. Thanks for both efforts guys!!

Regards, Jim