Zoom G6

Started by admin, August 30, 2021, 08:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Ludek

I've had G6 for a week and I'm quite impressed. I tried lots of multieffects, and love my HX Stomp as well as my BOSS SY1000.
G6 serves just for noodling (and looping ) out of my studio. Things I love about G6:
- appealing design ( for my eyes, of course )
- easy editing on the touchscreen ( people generally say it's a bit laggy but it is no dealbreaker )
- BT communication ( using ZOOM BT dongle ) - already easy editing is more comfortable on your iPad ( though I noticed a bug in the app - some units in the chain are sometimes not visible )
- GEMINOS doubler - it gives amazing spaciousness to the sound
- amazing headphone output quality - you'll be surprised how good your imported backtracks sound in the Looper
- stereo looper with above standard features ( especially when SD card is used )
- audio through USB ( micro USB connector is not a good solution by the way ) - using Camera Kit for iOS I have a perfect looping pair with  Quantiloop along with Airturn BT200s-6 controller.

cons I've already found:
- It's true that editing possibilities of individual blocks are limited compared to more expensive multieffects
- parameters of individual effects in the chain cannot be controlled by the built in pedal unless you select a "pedal" block in the chain, which, in my case, is not what I want to have. I like pedal controlling amount of my delays. That's what you can have here to using "delay pedal" block  but this dedicated pedal delay is in mono only. Kinda limiting but I can live without, as I usually place Gemini or P-P Delay in the end of the chain to remedy that.
- CPU limits are quite restricting but one will easily learn how to solve the issue -  IRs are more CPU consuming than G6 cabinets but their sound quality is on the par for my ears.

I use FX loop block using my VOX Mystic Edge pedal either in standard or IR mode ( which, of course substantially reduces my CPU demands as well ).