Isolated Jimmy Page

Started by admin, June 10, 2021, 11:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Isolated Whole Lotta Love lead guitar track from the original master tape.
Solo begins at 3:15

Yes the professionals must also deal with hum in the studio prior to final mix ! )
Of note - hear the work vocal verse lyrics which at that point is just you "honey need love" repeated, and note the descending slide "E" chord starts on the low A & D strings at 14th fret
( Steve marriot always claimed Robert Plant stole the whole thing from a small faces tune 

to me the solo sounds like '60 Les Paul Standard  > Vox Wah as a treble booster > Tone Bender > Vox UL4120 Head > Rickenbacker Transonic amp Cabinet 
https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/jimmy-page-used-a-vox-super-beatle.117064/
QuoteJimmy Page reveals the amp he really used to record Whole Lotta Love
By Michael Astley-Brown, Chris Bird (Total Guitar) November 06, 2020

The guitar icon details his setup on classic Led Zeppelin albums in an exclusive new interview with Total Guitar

Jimmy Page performs live with Led Zeppelin
(Image credit: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images)
While promoting his new Anthology photo book, Jimmy Page has detailed the guitar amp rigs that fueled Led Zeppelin's earliest albums – including the setup he used for Whole Lotta Love.

During an exclusive, in-depth interview with Total Guitar's Chris Bird, Page discussed how his transition from Fender Telecaster to Gibson Les Paul inspired his change in amp rigs.

"The amplifier on the first [Led Zeppelin] album is the Supro [Coronado 1690T] amplifier," he confirms. "It fits great with the Telecaster, but with the Gibson [Les Paul] it was a really overdriven sound, right? And when I started doing studio work, I realized that that was a bit too radical for them at the time.

"So I got what everyone else was getting, so that psychologically it looked right, which was a Burns amplifier, which I had during the studio days. But when Paul Samwell-Smith left the [Yardbirds], he left his equipment behind – the [Vox] amplifier heads. I know them as Super Beatles.

"The way that I heard about those amplifiers was The Beatles had them because they couldn't hear their instruments over all the screaming, so they wanted louder amplifiers, and Vox duly obliged."

Page then reveals that the amp you're really hearing on one of Zeppelin's most iconic hits is, in fact, the same amp the Fab Four had been using for their larger tours.

"I was using the Super Beatle amps with the [Rickenbacker] Transonic cabinets," he recalls. "That's exactly what's on Whole Lotta Love."

It was only once the band began to tour more intensely that Page switched to his iconic Marshall setup – primarily because it was easier to get hold of replacement gear.

"By the time we get to 1969, we've got so much work ahead of us, and the road manager is getting really, really nervous about the amplifier going down and not getting a replacement," Page reflects.

Total Guitar Jimmy Page cover

(Image credit: Future)
"So they're saying, well, everybody else has got Marshalls, so I went to Hiwatt [Custom 100s] before I went to the Marshalls. But then I did go to Marshall because what they'd said was absolutely true – if it broke down somewhere you'd be able to find a shop that would have one.

"Once I'd done the second album, the Marshall is being used by the end of those tracks [recorded] in New York. I got those during that '69 tour. So maybe Heartbreaker was done on a Marshall. And that's how it stayed, with the Marshall cabinet all the way through."

The full 17-page interview, which is available in the latest issue of Total Guitar magazine, spans Page's entire career, with insight and exclusive photos of the gear and recording behind some of Led Zeppelin's greatest albums.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jimmy-page-reveals-the-amp-he-really-used-to-record-whole-lotta-love

Its important the UK "Vox Super Beatle" amp which Paul Samwell Smith used in the Yardbirds ( handed down to Jimmy Page was a very different amp compared to the Thomas Organ California Vox Super Beatle amp

Here's pics of Jimmy with the Vox UL4120 Amp

https://vox.opensure.net/jimmy-page-yardbirdsearly-zeppelin-ul-4120/
"..Though Page says he thinks he used a Super Beatle on LZII, this is actually the amp he is likely referring too for some of the tracks.  He says he acquired the Super Beatle amps during The Yarbirds, but there is no evidence of him using a Super Beatle during the Yardbirds, but there is evidence of a Vox UL4120 in April 1968.   Probably the most substantial evidence for this being used on some LZII tracks is it being seen at Olympic Studios in June 1969. What Is and What Should Never Be and Whole Lotta Love were both recorded there according to the album notes, you'll notice a very similar tone between the two as well.  Whole Lotta Love was one of the songs Page says he thinks he might have used the Super Beatle for.  How much use the amp saw elsewhere on II is up for debate, but it was likely main amp used.  In the 90's Page also bought a few 7120s which can be seen in It Might Get Loud, so he definitely seemed to have a fondness for these amps."
http://wholelottaled.webs.com/amps.htm
http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/4120.html

https://reverb.com/item/3428705-1966-vox-ul4120-hybrid-amplifier-head-kt-88-tube-amp-page-zeppelin-beatles-rare-road-case

Roger Waters ( Pink Floyd =- with Vox UL4120 amps

https://themusiclocker.co.uk/the-story-of-uncovering-a-vox-ul4120/

The Story of Uncovering a Vox UL4120
The Story of Uncovering a Vox UL4120
The Story of Uncovering a Vox UL4120. Todays story involved my good friend Chris King Robinson. We are stood with a Vox UL4120 amplifier. According to legend, there are only a handful said to be left in existence! We have owned four of these amplifiers in our time, which is a miracle in itself! They were only produced for one year – 1966 – and were predominantly sold to 'big' stadium bands of the time. Most of these were returned to the factory and destroyed! These amplifiers were used extensively by the Beatles during the recording sessions for the Revolver album and beyond. The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd were also users of this short-lived amp line. We have shipped 3x of these UL amplifiers to Miami Beach, and another over to a collector in Germany.

This particular one was found by our good friend Chris when he worked with us. Annie and I were on our honeymoon at the time and Chris was staying with Martin while I was away. We got a call one day to say that Chris and Martin were on their way down to South Wales to pick up a crazy rare amplifier that Chris had found. On their way, Martin had pulled in to fill up the van with Diesel, and was so excited he drove off without paying! Anyway, upon arrival, they not only came home with this amplifier, but a HUGE Vox cabinet and a Vampower amplifier too! Why do I share this? There is an old African proverb that says this:

"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together"
My wife often reminds me of this... Naturally I would be an 'Analyst' who likes to work alone with my head down. While it is true I can get stuff done quicker on my own, nothing of longevity is ever done like this. When you work alone, there are no distractions, you can easily find out what works for you, and you get the job done sooner. However, every person who has ever done something of longevity, including marriage, has always done it as a team, or with a good team around them.

admin

plexified

OMG: I am such a pathetic fan boy now, however I was an agnostic hater baack in the day. Loved Page, HOWEVER, I HATED his sloppy mess. Hell, I did not even know who Steve Mariot was ! I had to learn , over time, not only about Steve, but what it means to be Jimmy Page. Good God Jim, she's only a Chevy. And let me tell you, this thick as a brick asshat FINALLY got it after two decades of playing. I was considering trying h***** ( I did everything else they did ) and then I had the breaking moment. Its not about sloppy or drunken slather, its about the feel. People talk about feel all day long and they have no fight in the game. Take Jimmy from any    epic leviathan recordings in which he engineered , mm say ... Achilles Last Stand. Boom. Not perfect , yet super tasty. I was always trying to be perfect, Jimmy taught me its not about that. What happened , happened. On the day to the recording studio. Epic.

Mrchevy

Quote from: plexified on July 12, 2022, 06:14:34 AMGood God Jim, she's only a Chevy.

I resemble that remark! As for Jimmy Page, when I listen to "The Song Remains The Same", Particularly the Dazed and Confused cut, I am totally inspired and reminded what "jamming" is all about, and how important being with the right musicians is. To have the connection they all had with each other, to be able to read and play off each other like they did, was utter magic. They were all that way, Page, Plant, Bonham, Jones. Unstructured, maybe even a bit reckless, yes, but sloppy, I don't know. In the midst of all the ciaos, all the notes and beats seem to always work. Is it slop, or expression at its best. What ever it was, it turned out one of, if not THE best, rock band in history.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Mrchevy

"Leave the hair on" Ha ha ha ha ha roflmao.........truly words of wisdom!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones