Request: Faith No More - Jim Martin's "The Real Thing" tone

Started by MadMac, May 11, 2021, 11:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMac

hello SY Users,
i'm looking for the Jim Martin's "The Real Thing" tone...
tried a lot but did not get it...
maybe someone dialed it already in...
or can help how to get this tone...
every input is really appreciated :-)
I read that he boosted the front in of the amp with an EQ with a huge bump in the midrange, as well as a chorus to give it that tight, hollow, boxy sound...
but maybe without IR Cab sim is not possible with the SY... ?
anyhow maybe someone here can help out...
here is a demo:

many thx
M.
life is what you make it...

aliensporebomb

Okay it's definitely a Flying V (humbuckers) into a Marshall stack.  Its not a chorus, or at least it doesn't sound like one to my ears - from what I hear, the boxyness comes from the sheer volume involved.  Sounds like a 4x12.   He's definitely pushing the front end
of the amp some with a booster I'd wager.

No need for IRs, I already have a patch very close to this I've been working on.  Stay tuned!

Weird to think though that Martin is a farmer today.  What a contrast. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

plexified

asb dropping a patch ? Farming ? Faith No More, I'm riveted !

admin

http://www.faithnomorefollowers.com/2016/09/faith-no-more-september-1992-guitar.html
QuoteJim Martin's RIG: it was recorded with my old favorite—my customized '79 Gibson Flying V. I bought it new in 1979 and have slowly changed it over the years. It's got a Kahler tremolo bar, a Seymour Duncan Live Wire in the bridge position— which is a great, crunchy pickup—an EMG 60 in the neck position, (= Higher output Active pickups) a chrome-plated brass pickguard and some other various modifications. It resonates well, sounds great acoustically, and feels like home.

I run my V through a Morley Power Wah fuzz—the old-style 110-volt one—an Eventide H3000S Ultra-Harmonizer and a little delay into a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV to four Marshall cabinets. It's good enough for now, but I'm always changing it in some little way. I think that the whole thing is over if you're ever completely satisfied with your guitar sound. My only major change since the last tour is that I-used Marshalls instead of the Mesa, but I blew an amp and it just hasn't been the same since the repair.I also occasionally use a Strat, because I wanted it to be real clean and twangy. In some other spots on the album I used a Fender Tele Deluxe and a Les Paul Deluxe.

shawnb

I overplayed that album.  Woodpecker from Mars is a fun instrumental; the cover of War Pigs delivers.  Somehow I never saw them live, despite them gigging a lot here in SF clubs waaaaay back in the day.

I have a large extended family that meets every year for Christmas & Thanksgiving, often hosting friends & neighbors.  My sister hosts Christmas (my job is Thanksgiving...).  For a few years there, Bordin, the FNM drummer, lived nearby & his family joined in.  What a warm, pleasant family.  Majestic drums, sweet dude.  Around that time, he was touring with Ozzy.  Apparently, one of the band's responsibilities really was to fan out & find Ozzy before the shows & pour him onstage...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin

Quote from: aliensporebomb on May 14, 2021, 08:22:55 AM
That's the most insanely overdone setup for that sound ever!   Crazy!

He used that rig for all songs on many albums &Film soundtracks -
https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1655135/filmotype/actor?ref_=m_nmfm_3
Some 5-15ms doubling to suit the song key may help thicken the tone-that capability  was in his sonic arsenal.
But I'm sure not every effect in his rig was enabled for the track the OP seeks