Fender Tone app

Started by giotar_gorm, March 09, 2021, 03:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giotar_gorm

Hi  - I just purchased a Fender GTX 50. Lover it! But - I can't seem to connect the app via bluetooth. Tried all the trouble shooting tips on the site etc. Any ideas?
thanks

admin

Try these steps at top of page here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20910.0

The COMPLETE Procedure for All new Mustang GT/GTX Users and resurrection of a non functioning Mustang GT/GTX

1 ) Verify you can Sign In with your Fender Tone ID with a Win/Mac PC
(write your name and password down on paper )
https://www.fender.com/tone

2 ) Perform a RECOVERY Operation ( see RED ARROWS above) , power off - hold down the Upper left button and the (xFX) button, then power on (be patient as it takes 4 minutes)

3 ) Connect to Wi-Fi - on Mustang GT/GTX Amp, Enter your local Wifi log on credentials ( must employ shorter than 15 digits, no 5GHz ) and allow the amp to connect to Wifi.

3 ) Perform a WIFI UPDATE/RESTORE ALL Operation - power off - hold down the Upper left button and press down on the the Encoder KNOB , then power on (takes 2 to 4 minutes)

4 ) Bluetooth - on the Mustang , enable the Bluetooth

5 ) Install Fender TONE app (Android/ IOS) ( if already installed , uninstall old version and reinstall)

6 ) DO NOT ENABLE BLUETOOTH on Android or IOS device - do not Pair the Mustang GT/GTX with your phone

7 ) Launch Fender TONE app, enter your FENDER TONE ID ( from step 1) , and allow the Fender Tone app to find your Mustang GT/GTX

- let the Fender Tone App do the following :
* tell you to enable Bluetooth on your smartphone
* let Fender Tone app make the Bluetooth connection to the Mustang GT/GTX

Its the nature of MIDI over Bluetooth - or "BLE MIDI" ( Bluetooth low Energy MIDI " - its NOT a Bluetooth Audio connection and the Fender Tone app has its own backdoor method to make the MIDI BLE connection to Mustang GT/GTX.

Bulk of connection failures / complaints are from folks who assume they must manually pair Mustang GT/GTX to their phone / tablet via Bluetooth before launching the Fender Tone App

giotar_gorm

Thanks for that. I followed those steps yesterday to no avail unfortunately.

giotar_gorm

Just an update on this. I tried another phone (iPhone not android which I originally tried). This recognised the amp. I tried the android again just to be sure and it appeared. No idea how this worked. Could the iPhone have given it the jolt it needed? No idea. So, after a few more connection issues I finally got to enter the app so all good!

kukulaj

I've got the Fender Tone App hooked to my GTX100 and I am also signed in to my Fender Connect account. I want to post a preset... it's not letting me do that! Anybody around with experience doing that?

kukulaj

I did just manage to backup my presets! Nice to get something to work!

kukulaj

admin

Quote from: kukulaj on January 21, 2022, 08:07:17 PM
I've got the Fender Tone App hooked to my GTX100 and I am also signed in to my Fender Connect account. I want to post a preset... it's not letting me do that! Anybody around with experience doing that?

You can only upload via the Fender Tone app ( IOS/Android)
You can search for it using any platform web browser to access at Fender Tone Cloud

If you provide detailed name of preset - it can be located using web search and URL from web browser can be copied and shared

Example
One of Mine is here - Jorgen Ingmann Apache

You can only access at Fender Tone Cloud here:
https://www.fender.com/tone/presets/apache-ingmann-68722203

Sounds very close to this  - with a bit more delay

But as you can see, even without a working amp connection to Fender Tone mobile app,  its still possible to review any Mustang GT/GTX Patch uploaded to Fender Tone Cloud using any web browser, and manually recreate it on your amp after reviewing the  Signal Chain and all effects settings.

kukulaj

I need to try this... but I was trying to go the other way... to take a preset that I had created, and to move that to the fender website for others to try...

admin

Quote from: kukulaj on January 21, 2022, 10:25:31 PM
I need to try this... but I was trying to go the other way... to take a preset that I had created, and to move that to the fender website for others to try...

Sadly that's impossible using only a web browser (Chrome, Safari)

Must use the official Fender Tone app connected via BLE wireless connection to the Mustang GT/GTX -the mobile device running Fender Tone must-have a working internet connection
Its also possible to upload to Fender Tone Cloud directly from the Amp using its own built in WiFi connection

But users never have direct access to the data file that represents the Mustang GT/GTX patch. This prevents the typical third party sources creating and selling patches- downside is there are few methods outside of Fender Tone for general public exposure of this amps capabilities.

You can only upload via the Fender Tone app ( IOS/Android)

Later You can search for Mustang GT/GTX Patches using any platform web browser to access at Fender Tone Cloud-which is only a browser.
(No user patch upload or download is possible  without the mobile Fender Tone app

If you provide detailed name of preset - it can be located using web search and URL from web browser can be copied and shared

If user has a working installation of Fender Tone , the link below will launch Fender Tone.

https://www.fender.com/tone/presets/apache-ingmann-68722203

(Looks like 16 people tried it, no likes yet -but who cares - I love it )

kukulaj

I wonder... the preset I had built includes a "pedal wah"... one of the slightly annoying things with the EXP-1 pedal - touch the pedal, and the preset flips to red - the setting of whatever is controlled by the pedal, that is now different than the saved setting, so it goes red.

When I tried to upload the preset, maybe the system won't upload a preset that has flipped to red? It would be ambiguous what exactly to upload - the saved version, or the edited version in use.

I'll have to try again. The fact that I could backup my presets, to me that indicates that I have all the bits hooked up pretty well. Backup was really what I wanted anyway... my previous GTX100 that went defunct, ach, took a few nice presets with it to the grave!

I should download your Apache preset - I need to learn how to download presets, and hey, it looks fun enough! It will teach me something about how to shape sound well - the main reason I got this amp!

admin

Quote from: kukulaj on January 22, 2022, 09:33:24 AM
I wonder... the preset I had built includes a "pedal wah"... one of the slightly annoying things with the EXP-1 pedal - touch the pedal, and the preset flips to red - the setting of whatever is controlled by the pedal, that is now different than the saved setting, so it goes red.

When I tried to upload the preset, maybe the system won't upload a preset that has flipped to red? It would be ambiguous what exactly to upload - the saved version, or the edited version in use.

I'll have to try again. The fact that I could backup my presets, to me that indicates that I have all the bits hooked up pretty well. Backup was really what I wanted anyway... my previous GTX100 that went defunct, ach, took a few nice presets with it to the grave!

I should download your Apache preset - I need to learn how to download presets, and hey, it looks fun enough! It will teach me something about how to shape sound well - the main reason I got this amp!

One annoying aspect, I still can't determine how to delete my  preset afters it's been uploaded to the Fender Tone Cloud -there are three of mine up there, all have typos in the description

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: admin on January 22, 2022, 09:57:37 AM
One annoying aspect, I still can't determine how to delete my  preset afters it's been uploaded to the Fender Tone Cloud -there are three of mine up there, all have typos in the description

I think it runs off the same principal as the mustang GT presets etc... they can't be deleted but can be cleared back to original state.

On the tone app you can delete each effect and once all deleted should give you a empty preset again, or hit clear preset.

https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003536026-How-do-I-delete-an-effect-from-a-preset-in-the-Tone-app-

kukulaj

well, I managed to download one of the Apache - Ingmann presets! A nice enough exercise!

Q1) it loaded as preset 190. There must be a way??? to control which preset gets overwritten when I download a preset??? I didn't have anything at 190, so no damage done. But... kinda scary!

Q2) the mono delay came up as bypassed... was that an accident, or some clever trick that's over my head??

Q3) yeah given there are three presets of the same name... I didn't see a way on the Tone app to distinguish them... on the website they have different numbers, but I didn't see those numbers on the Tone app.

admin

Quote from: kukulaj on January 22, 2022, 11:29:06 AM
well, I managed to download one of the Apache - Ingmann presets! A nice enough exercise!

Q1) it loaded as preset 190. There must be a way??? to control which preset gets overwritten when I download a preset??? I didn't have anything at 190, so no damage done. But... kinda scary!

Q2) the mono delay came up as bypassed... was that an accident, or some clever trick that's over my head??

Q3) yeah given there are three presets of the same name... I didn't see a way on the Tone app to distinguish them... on the website they have different numbers, but I didn't see those numbers on the Tone app.

Delay can be toggled using GTX-7

It's a maze , and not ideal-and explains why amp has been less popular vs Katana

Of course we don't have to suffer the extremists telling their Katana has no DSP ( hint, Katana is a  Boss GT-100 coupled to a Cube 80 power amp in an open back cab

If you find out how to delete patch after it's been uploaded to Fender Tone Cloud, let me know

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: admin on January 22, 2022, 12:06:19 PM

If you find out how to delete patch after it's been uploaded to Fender Tone Cloud, let me know

I already posted a message about that above!

kukulaj

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on January 22, 2022, 01:01:01 PM
I already posted a message about that above!

The puzzle isn't how to delete a preset on the amp. The puzzle is how to delete a preset that has been uploaded to https://www.fender.com/tone/ - how to delete it at the Fender website.

I'm thinking that there are different kinds of accounts at Fender, and I am not signed into the proper type. My userid at Fender is my email address. That's not the kind of user name I see associated with the presets that folks have uploaded.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: kukulaj on January 22, 2022, 01:53:49 PM
The puzzle isn't how to delete a preset on the amp. The puzzle is how to delete a preset that has been uploaded to https://www.fender.com/tone/ - how to delete it at the Fender website.

I'm thinking that there are different kinds of accounts at Fender, and I am not signed into the proper type. My userid at Fender is my email address. That's not the kind of user name I see associated with the presets that folks have uploaded.

The link I posted was about the tone app.

kukulaj

This note seems relevant:
"Once you make a tweaks to a preset you've posted and shared on your amp, the public preset will not be updated, you will need to reshare the altered preset."

from: https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003536286-How-do-I-share-a-preset-in-the-Tone-app-

kukulaj

I uninstalled and reinstalled the tone app. Perhaps the tone app was still tied to my defunct GTX100... I had to put the new serial number into the app when I reinstalled. Anyway, that let me upload a preset:

https://www.fender.com/tone/presets/jim-s-jam-1060012358