Boss Katana Artist MKII - How to ativate solo function playing live

Started by HF1600ie, March 09, 2021, 05:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HF1600ie

Hi,
I swear I look for this answer, but couldn´t find.

How can I ativate the "solo" button while playing live ? Is it via GA-FC or another pedal I will have to connect to the dedicated "solo" jack ?

Do I have to assign it in Tone Studio to the patch that i am using ?

Cheers !

admin

"How can I activate the Katana Artist "SOLO" button while playing live ?"

download the manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/KTN-Mk2_eng02_W.pdf

search on "SOLO"
see page 7

QuoteOn the KATANA-Artist Mk II, you can also connect a footswitch
(separately sold: FS-5L foot switch )
to the SOLO jack, and use it to switch SOLO on/off."

HF1600ie

Hi,
So it seems it can be activated by GA-FC and also FS5. But this last one should only work of GAFC is disconnected? I would swear I read about this somewhere.

I´m getting an Katana Artist mk2 very soon, hence the questions !

admin

AFAIK
Solo enable on Katana Artist is only via separate switch on the Solo Jack (not GAFC)

The Nextone operates completely different

HF1600ie

Hi,
Well, I acquired my Katana Artist Mk2 yesterday + GA-FC.

The solo can be activated via GA-FC. Just press (a little longer) the switch related to the channel you´re using. It will activate the solo.

Nevertheless, I would prefer to activate it via a separate switch (perhaps the dedicated input jack serves that purpose).

I don´t know if a regular footswitch can do this ?

sikejsudjek

On the artist and head it can also be switched in via midi, or via a footswitch into the gafc - you select 'solo' in pedal assign in tone studio. I've got my Behringer FCB1010 to switch it via midi. Alternatively its a long press of the preset on the gafc.

admin

Quote from: HF1600ie on March 10, 2021, 04:26:50 AM
Hi,
Well, I acquired my Katana Artist Mk2 yesterday + GA-FC.

The solo can be activated via GA-FC. Just press (a little longer) the switch related to the channel you´re using. It will activate the solo.

Nevertheless, I would prefer to activate it via a separate switch (perhaps the dedicated input jack serves that purpose).

I don´t know if a regular footswitch can do this ?

rtm
https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/katana-artist_mk2/owners_manuals/13dd0570-79f0-4b67-a8f4-6b9d1dd07138/

There is a Solo Switch jack on rear of Katana Artist -shares jack with GA-FC

QuoteGA-FC jack 100, 100/212, HEAD, Artist only You can connect the separately sold GA-FC to switch channels and turn effects on/off. On the  KATANA-Artist Mk II, you can also connect a footswitch (separately sold: FS-5L) as the SOLO jack, and use it to switch solo on/off.

Uses a Latching footswitch , but if you connect the Solo Footswitch,  you can't connect the GA-FC

Here's how to select SOLO function using GA-FC alone
QuoteUsing the GA-FC You can switch  TONE SELECT (CH1–CH4, PANEL). You can also switch EFFECTS (BOOSTER, MOD, FX, DELAY, REVERB) on/off. On the  KATANA-Artist Mk II, you can long-press the selected [CH1]–[CH4] or [PANEL] switch to switch SOLO on/off (the indicator slowly blinks green when solo is on). If you long-press the [EFFECTS] switch (the indicator blinks), you can then use the [DELAY] switch to tap-input the delay 1 time, and use the [REVERB] switch to tap-input the delay 2 time.

Here's KATANA MKII MIDI IMPLEMENTATION
CC#16 toggles the BOOSTER FX Block

Seems a poor design , Add the Mono only Headphone REC Out jack- I'm surprised the premium cost of Artist model at double the cost of the combo

sikejsudjek

You can also stick one footswitch into the gafc and select it to switch solo on in tone studio, which allows for one additional expression pedal plugged into the gafc and one expression pedal from the jack on the back of the amp.

Yes the phones out in mono is bonkers, but you can use the stereo out from usb audio instead into a pc.

I'm using a gafc and behringer midi pedal - which avoids a tap dance on the gafc !

The midi implementation looks basic, but tone studio allows you to assign a lot of different things per patch for the expression pedals and footswitches.