GT-1000CORE in pedalboard - output setting question

Started by rograt, February 11, 2021, 10:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rograt

I am replacing an RV500 and DD500 (both of which I use on only a few settings) with a GT1000CORE and RC-500. They are going into an ES-8 based pedalboard with some delicious pedals.

Just plugged in the CORE. I played around with the output settings and settled on the JVM410 stack setting and since I have a JVM410JH it seems to work reasonably well with the preamp models.

The problem is that these output options vary wildly in tone and for a lot of patches I won't be using a preamp model at all.

It seems, after some playing around that even if I turn the preamp off in the patch I stick get the tonally changed output setting. If I turn an effect off in the RV500 it is nearly indistinguishable from turn the loop off. Even with all effects off I find that the GT1000 core it always sounds different. Even with the line setting it sounds different.

Given that this is designed to be used in a pedalboard shouldn't the output be far more flexible?

Maybe I am missing something? PS If you read me pre-edited version of this prematurely celebrating - just forget it.

Ari

I'm having a similar issue trying to run my amt ss-20 preamp in the loop. I can't get the signal the same, definitely brighter and missing fullness. The AIRD preamps are amazing tho lol, maybe i'll just ditch the pedal. But i would love to get to a unity gain and true bypass sound with it.

Flan

When I first got my GT1K CORE I put it in a true bypass loop pedal and A/B'd it with my dry sound while I went through all the OUTPUT model options. I found one(Twin 2x12 IN I think) that was super close to my bypassed/dry tone.

It's very important to get your INPUT Gain correct as well. I also made note of where unity gain is on the MASTER Output control so my amp is seeing the same input level.

Once I knew that was all good then I could make the necessary adjustments in my patches.

Another important thing is to make those at as close to your gig volume as possible. Things definitely sound and react differently once you're at that level.

kineticfx

How do we achieve unit gain on the Boss GT-1000?

I have tried running my Big Sky after the GT-1000 and have some kind of distortion, like the output is too hot for the big sky?

admin

Quote from: kineticfx on January 05, 2022, 06:41:26 PM
How do we achieve unity gain on the Boss GT-1000?

I have tried running my Big Sky after the GT-1000 and have some kind of distortion, like the output is too hot for the big sky?

Same way to achieve unity gain on any other FX pedal

Swap out the GT-1000Core for a straight guitar cable , adjust the GT-1000Core output level until the level matches the straight guitar cable level

It's easier task  by temporarily using a true bypass switcher pedal

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B096RPYR2W?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

kineticfx

So I'm used to be able to plug pedals in series without worrying about clipping etc.  Is there any reason in particularly the GT-1000's output would be hotter than any other pedal?

Even with the output volume set at half, I still get this distortion with the Big sky in line after the GT-1000.

admin

Quote from: kineticfx on January 05, 2022, 08:08:35 PM
So I'm used to be able to plug pedals in series without worrying about clipping etc.  Is there any reason in particularly the GT-1000's output would be hotter than any other pedal?

Even with the output volume set at half, I still get this distortion with the Big sky in line after the GT-1000.

They figure you will be connected to powered PA cabs at Line Level , not feeding instrument level effects

kineticfx

Quote from: admin on January 05, 2022, 09:58:57 PM
They figure you will be connected to powered PA cabs at Line Level , not feeding instrument level effects

I figure so, but apparently the Big Sky can handle up to +4dB.  Is the GT-1000 really hitting that hot?

admin

Quote from: kineticfx on January 06, 2022, 01:32:07 PM
I figure so, but apparently the Big Sky can handle up to +4dB.  Is the GT-1000 really hitting that hot?

Yes, during peaks it can reach those levels

Just dial down the Output level in the System area

Refer to GT-1000Core Parameter Guide

kineticfx

Ahhh!  That was the setting I was looking for.  I'd found the profiles but hadn't yet found the master volume.

Thanks!

Mats Orbation

Quote from: kineticfx on January 07, 2022, 05:51:52 PM
Ahhh!  That was the setting I was looking for.  I'd found the profiles but hadn't yet found the master volume.

Thanks!
It is a very unwieldy and cumbersome process to get all levels right in the Core. I have had numerous "patch volume increases" although I watch the input and output meters closely. I will do a rundown of the things you have to rely on, and check on before creating your first patch:

1. Input gain Level. In BTS it's the Input Settings of where you can save 10 different presets for different guitars, and basses. With single coils, and active pickups. That one you must check with the levels and find that sweet spot.

2.The the rest of all these settings. "Recording" if you put in to PA or yet another soundcard. And anything else depending on you use.
3. Not to forget the mysterious "Output Level" knob that physically resides on the right top of the Core, which you can see or read nothing about in the manual. It's analog and not programmable. Whether it's unity gain at 12 o'clock or fully clockwise is still out here on the jury. Find no info on this anywhere.
4. All the individual effect patches effect level, direct mix, and Speaker IR volume direct or mic levels, and Master Output, as well as +4b or -10 db output.