VC-touch

Started by sixeight, October 29, 2020, 02:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixeight

The metal parts of the enclosure are finally ready. Here is the prototype of the VC-touch in all its glory.

billbax

Wow, that looks impressive, and the display protective lid is a master stroke.  Superb work sixeight!

philjynx

I know from experience that you've been working yourself silly! Excellent looking bit of kit.

gumtown

LOOKS VERY PROFESSIONAL !!
I am impressed.

Next project to build in some custom high power DSP and 13 pin input ?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

bartve

Quote from: sixeight on January 15, 2022, 03:06:43 AM
Thanks bartve. The VC-mini is challenged with a small display that can only show 2 lines of 16 characters. Yet it is feature packed. So navigating on the unit is a bit of a challenge. I really recommend using VC-edit to explore the device.

The VC-touch is a work in progress. I will probably add symbols to the switch labels to make it easier to know whether a switch is controlling patch selection, an effect of a snapshot, etc.

The touch screen makes navigating this device a very different experience. It is much faster than pressing switches. A new feature I recently added is the possibility to drag on a label and select a value that way.

If you have ideas they are always welcome. But do make them specific.

I will make a video once it is really ready.

First of all: what an incredibly good looking device! Very impressive!

About my earlier remarks about the UI, and your invitation to be more specific (if you talk the talk you have to walk the walk, eh?), I am afraid  I don't have very much: having an opinion doesn't mean I'm an expert.

But FWIW, my 2 cents:

There is a certain minimalistic style of graphical design for an UI for websites with solid blocks that scales well on large and small screens. The style has a specific name, and I have been googling my ass off but I can't find it, but that is a good starting point?

My brother is a graphical designer and over the years he gave me some tips when I was amateuristic trying to make things looking nice:

Number 1 principle: less is more! Question everything you put on the screen: does it make things clearer or does it add to the confusion? This helps to make the screen calmer on the eyes and easier to read. In this case:
- maybe drop the white lines between the boxes, and only use solid colored boxes (or make the lines black, about the same effect but adds some dark space between the boxes?)?
- never ever use serif font in a UI, use only sans serif (but you're already there, just to be complete in my brother's advices)
- only use lower case font (or only upper case, but I prefer lower case because it leaves more space open), but do not mix lower and upper case: it makes the screen look restless
- do never ever center text, but align it to the left or to the the right, makes the screen become more 'strakker' and easier to read in one glimp because it emphazises the box design, centering text counteracts the box design a bit (this was one of the golden tips from my brother: back in the days when I started using WordPerfect 4.2 -remember ALT-F3?- I was literally centering everything I typed, because I could, and was one day chastitized by my brother for it, and aligning things left or right really improved the layout of my texts)
- use good symbols as an alternative for texts is a good idea
- use colors functional, every color has the same meaning all over the UI (but I think you're already there?)

That is about how it looks, the logic behind the UI is a complete different story. I don't have much to say about, but I guess it is all about intuitivity: when an UI is intuitive (enough) an user should not need a manual to operate it? Tiny example: what does 'VCO' mean?

That's about it what I can contribute. Ofcourse there is lots of info on the net, both about the look and the logic of UI's.

Sorry if I was to harsh in the first place, I am really impressed by your work on the VC-touch, allready as it is now!

sixeight

Quote from: bartve on March 19, 2022, 03:57:38 AM
First of all: what an incredibly good looking device! Very impressive!

About my earlier remarks about the UI, and your invitation to be more specific (if you talk the talk you have to walk the walk, eh?), I am afraid  I don't have very much: having an opinion doesn't mean I'm an expert.

But FWIW, my 2 cents:

There is a certain minimalistic style of graphical design for an UI for websites with solid blocks that scales well on large and small screens. The style has a specific name, and I have been googling my ass off but I can't find it, but that is a good starting point?

My brother is a graphical designer and over the years he gave me some tips when I was amateuristic trying to make things looking nice:

Number 1 principle: less is more! Question everything you put on the screen: does it make things clearer or does it add to the confusion? This helps to make the screen calmer on the eyes and easier to read. In this case:
- maybe drop the white lines between the boxes, and only use solid colored boxes (or make the lines black, about the same effect but adds some dark space between the boxes?)?
- never ever use serif font in a UI, use only sans serif (but you're already there, just to be complete in my brother's advices)
- only use lower case font (or only upper case, but I prefer lower case because it leaves more space open), but do not mix lower and upper case: it makes the screen look restless
- do never ever center text, but align it to the left or to the the right, makes the screen become more 'strakker' and easier to read in one glimp because it emphazises the box design, centering text counteracts the box design a bit (this was one of the golden tips from my brother: back in the days when I started using WordPerfect 4.2 -remember ALT-F3?- I was literally centering everything I typed, because I could, and was one day chastitized by my brother for it, and aligning things left or right really improved the layout of my texts)
- use good symbols as an alternative for texts is a good idea
- use colors functional, every color has the same meaning all over the UI (but I think you're already there?)

That is about how it looks, the logic behind the UI is a complete different story. I don't have much to say about, but I guess it is all about intuitivity: when an UI is intuitive (enough) an user should not need a manual to operate it? Tiny example: what does 'VCO' mean?

That's about it what I can contribute. Ofcourse there is lots of info on the net, both about the look and the logic of UI's.

Sorry if I was to harsh in the first place, I am really impressed by your work on the VC-touch, allready as it is now!

Thanks for the feedback. Here my response:
The boxes are there to show what each switch is doing. It needs clear separation.
As for upper/lower case: I read patchnames from a remote device in whatever case they are  entered. Most other text is already uppercase. I will check that.
Centering text: take a look at the Helix / FM9, etc. Text is centred on labels. It is just pretty.

The rest is already implemented apart from custom labels, which are a lot of work to develop. Just the wifi/bluetooth/applemidi symbols took hours as they have to be designed pixel by pixel.

CodeSmart

Amazing Catrinus! I recognize how many hours you must have put into this and the outcome looks great!
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

whippinpost91850

How did you do the lettering on the back?

sixeight

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on March 19, 2022, 11:27:34 AM
How did you do the lettering on the back?

The aluminum has been anodized. The lettering has been engraved. It looks white, but is actually aluminum grey. I found a new contact who takes care of all the laser cutting, bending, anodizing and engraving. It was a bit expensive, but it looks great.

I really should make a video, but I am quite busy lately.

whippinpost91850

whippinpost91850

What company did you use.

sixeight

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on March 19, 2022, 02:37:54 PM
What company did you use.

A Dutch one man business called Valdenice. Lives a few blocks away from my home.

Website is in Dutch.
http://www.valdenice.nl/

whippinpost91850

I wish I knew how to speak Dutch. I'm making a cut-down Aluminum GR55 case . My hand made one is a little rough and yours looks awesome

sixeight

Finally managed to make a short promo video:

For pricing and availability, check out:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yatuc6lo96wxg8q/VC-touch%20pricing%20and%20availability.pdf?dl=0

sixeight

Here is my latest video of the VC-touch with the Kemper Profiler.

sixeight

Well, here is my brand new webshop. Now you can actively check stock here.

https://sixeightsoundcontrol.onlineweb.shop/

Suggestion and tips are welcome. This is a first for me.

gumtown

Quote from: sixeight on June 20, 2022, 06:42:15 AMWell, here is my brand new webshop. Now you can actively check stock here.

https://sixeightsoundcontrol.onlineweb.shop/

Suggestion and tips are welcome. This is a first for me.

The site looks great !!

just a question on the assembled items which are "SOLD OUT",
 that indicates (to me) that they are no longer available forever.
 Maybe you can add a bit of text to say available on order, or next batch ready soon.
It might help with sales or enquiries if there is still hope they will be available again.  ;)
Some people might not have the patience to explore further into the next page to see the small print "notify me when back in stock".

Don't read too much into that, was just my initial "site look first impression", and I tend to give unfiltered advice whether people ask for it or not.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

philjynx

Quote from: gumtown on June 20, 2022, 01:00:44 PMThe site looks great !!

Didn't strike me that way, but most sites use the term Out Of Stock.

sixeight

Quote from: gumtown on June 20, 2022, 01:00:44 PMThe site looks great !!

Maybe you can add a bit of text to say available on order, or next batch ready soon.
It might help with sales or enquiries if there is still hope they will be available again.  ;)
Some people might not have the patience to explore further into the next page to see the small print "notify me when back in stock".

Don't read too much into that, was just my initial "site look first impression", and I tend to give unfiltered advice whether people ask for it or not.

I removed the out of stock overlay. Maybe I should add pre-order items for the VC-touch and VC-mini, with the initial payment as a price. I will look into this. Thanks for the feedback guys.

quad4

Would be good to include dimensions, power requirements, and photos off all sides/ports.

Chumly

Really superb work sixeight! May I suggest you include pricing directly in US dollars?  For example €560,00 would be priced as US $599.00 (or whatever final conversion rate suffices to cover costs).

In most European countries, a comma is used to separate the integral part of a number from the decimal part, and some countries use a decimal point to separate thousands, thus it's a bit of a mess. But all of North America is standardized such that $990,000.00 would be expressed as nine hundred and ninety thousand dollars and no cents.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

sixeight

Quote from: Chumly on June 21, 2022, 09:09:32 AMReally superb work sixeight! May I suggest you include pricing directly in US dollars?  For example €560,00 would be priced as US $599.00 (or whatever final conversion rate suffices to cover costs).

In most European countries, a comma is used to separate the integral part of a number from the decimal part, and some countries use a decimal point to separate thousands, thus it's a bit of a mess. But all of North America is standardized such that $990,000.00 would be expressed as nine hundred and ninety thousand dollars and no cents.

You can set the currency at the top of the page. I was hoping it would switch automatically, but apparently it doesn't.

wespac

Thanks Cantrinus! Having built the VController, VC-Mini and now the VC-Touch, I highly recommend anyone wanting a very capable controller to build this controller. I don't think you'll find anything commercially available that even comes close to what this controller features. I'm currently in the process of finishing up the case for this project and still determining what the case finish will be...painted, wrapped or a polished finish.

rcknrllmn

I have a question out of curiosity.  The Zoom MS-50G, & the MS-CDR-70 are very similar.  In fact I believe there is a hack that can allow you to load the firmware for each to the other to allow different effects to be used.  Will the VC-touch control the MS-50g also?

Thanks

sixeight

Quote from: rcknrllmn on June 25, 2022, 11:20:59 AMI have a question out of curiosity.  The Zoom MS-50G, & the MS-CDR-70 are very similar.  In fact I believe there is a hack that can allow you to load the firmware for each to the other to allow different effects to be used.  Will the VC-touch control the MS-50g also?

Thanks

I don't know. I never tried, because I don't have the MS-50g. But all the extra models of the Zoom hack have been included and will be be recognized by the VC-touch.

But if it does not work, I should be able to get it working if you have a VC-touch. I have been developing support for certain devices several times through remote login.