mchad

admin

admin

Intimo

Pasquale -
IntimoMusic.com
Roland/Boss addict since '79

thewildest

Hi there, I just got my RC-500 and have trouble with a feature that is so easy that is probably in front of my face, but for the love of Zeus I can't get it to work.

I am in patch number x. The patch is playing, let's say at 3/4 of its total length.
I switch patches to patch X+1. The screen starts blinking.
I want either to the next patch to start playing immediately with the patch change, or at least that it allows me to start playing patch X+1 when I press the play pedal...

This think waits until the end of the previous patch..... any suggestions?

admin

I don't own own,, but Most loopers ,  1st loop is recorded sets the length of time before any additional actions (typically overdubs)can be performed

Review the RC-500 Parameter Guide for all settings

https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/rc-500/owners_manuals/02ee9ed9-fa87-43f5-b439-fa928187a3bb/

thewildest

Quote from: admin on April 17, 2021, 01:14:37 PM
I don't own own,, but Most loopers ,  1st loop is recorded sets the length of time before any additional actions (typically overdubs)can be performed

Review the RC-500 Parameter Guide for all settings

https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/rc-500/owners_manuals/02ee9ed9-fa87-43f5-b439-fa928187a3bb/

Thank you; my old RC-50 instantaneously play the next patch upon patch change (either with the knob in the unit, or by Midi. It interrupted the previous patch and started from the beginning of the next, not waiting for the previous one to finish.
I really don't know how to set this RC-500 to just change patches whenever I please without waiting the previous one to finish

thewildest

Well.... Looper returned. I tried it all, I can't understand how this unit is designed this way. Apparently the "Immediate" command means nothing in this looper.
The scariest part was to see the unit starting alone (i was in another room) without any interaction. It happened twice, and it would have been a killer if it did this while I was performing.
It would have been great if it changed memories right at command, and it was not buggy.....

admin

Quote from: thewildest on April 19, 2021, 07:50:21 PM
Well.... Looper returned. I tried it all, I can't understand how this unit is designed this way. Apparently the "Immediate" command means nothing in this looper.
The scariest part was to see the unit starting alone (i was in another room) without any interaction. It happened twice, and it would have been a killer if it did this while I was performing.
It would have been great if it changed memories right at command, and it was not buggy.....

Ironically everyone at Roland/Boss believes they make the best loopers

I never found them intuitive myself- but I'm rarely a "me too" guy

The Headrush pedal board built in looper remains my favorite.

But many will read this and think I said Headrush Looperboard.

They need better product names, most think I'm talking about  a powered PA Cab

PunkyBoySTG

Boss always 10 years retard, Pigtronix Infinity looper V1 and Bomerang Had this features (without the drum kits) , but if you listen to youtubers (sponsorized) it's like Boss rc is a revolution omg!

jozart

glynndub

I've installed a MIDI cable and my GR-55 is transmitting program change messages to the RC-500 successfully. (GR's 01-1 = RC's Memory 01 and so on)

Question... Is there a setting to turn this functionality On/Off on the RC-500 per memory location?
As I don't want the RC-500 to stop a loop when I change patch on GR-55

Thanks  :)

szszoke

Quote from: glynndub on October 11, 2021, 12:02:32 AM
I've installed a MIDI cable and my GR-55 is transmitting program change messages to the RC-500 successfully. (GR's 01-1 = RC's Memory 01 and so on)

Question... Is there a setting to turn this functionality On/Off on the RC-500 per memory location?
As I don't want the RC-500 to stop a loop when I change patch on GR-55

Thanks  :)

There is no way to do this today. There isn't even a way to make the RC-500 ignore PC messages.

glynndub

Quote from: szszoke on October 11, 2021, 01:10:51 AM
There is no way to do this today. There isn't even a way to make the RC-500 ignore PC messages.

Thanks for the reply szszoke. That's just BS and narrow thinking at it's finest..

1 I use my GR-55 to lay-down a groove on a selected RC-500 memory location,
2 Change GR-55 patch to embellish the groove with different sounds,
3 I loose the original groove because RC-500 changes memory patch.
4 This happens because RC-500 has no per-memory location setting to ignore "MIDI IN"
5 Only solution I can think of is to place an interrupt in the GR-55 to RC-500 MIDI cable to disable the signal flow.
6 Great just what I've always wanted, another pedal on my floor-board to enhance clutter and diminish the intuitive flow. Hahahahaha

admin

Quote from: glynndub on October 11, 2021, 02:26:48 PM
Thanks for the reply szszoke. That's just BS and narrow thinking at it's finest..

1 I use my GR-55 to lay-down a groove on a selected RC-500 memory location,
2 Change GR-55 patch to embellish the groove with different sounds,
3 I loose the original groove because RC-500 changes memory patch.
4 This happens because RC-500 has no per-memory location setting to ignore "MIDI IN"
5 Only solution I can think of is to place an interrupt in the GR-55 to RC-500 MIDI cable to disable the signal flow.
6 Great just what I've always wanted, another pedal on my floor-board to enhance clutter and diminish the intuitive flow. Hahahahaha

Or never connect GR-55 MIDI OUT  to RC-500 MIDI IN

What purpose does using GR-55 as MIDI Master controller serve with an RC-500 ?

glynndub

Quote from: admin on October 11, 2021, 02:36:49 PM
Or never connect GR-55 MIDI OUT  to RC-500 MIDI IN

What purpose does using GR-55 as MIDI Master controller serve with an RC-500 ?

Fair question,  :)
For some songs I want a pre-recorded loop.
Example, Pink Floyd's "Time" I want to have the TickTock sound looping as I embellish using several GR-55 patches

I realise I can firstly select the RC's memory location, but I could do it that way on my old Digitech JamMan as well.
My goal is workflow enhancements.

plexified

Using the Default Midi Map is what your currently using. The GR-55 has a programable Midi Map. So the option exists.

You could use the RC 500 to change patches on the GR-55 and then if you still want the GR-55 to patch change you can do so without the RC 500 responding.

BOSS offers a wide range of loopers, you have to look closely to see if they meet your needs. The RC-500 is essentially designed to " Fit In " with the 500 series pedals. Two tracks in a box on the floor needs MIDI Programming to be used with planning, its going to take time to set up, assuming you know what you need in advance.

If you want to buy something to explore you may want to see what others are using sucessfully.

I posted the Swiss Beat Box series because these artists can use whatever they want and they choose BOSS. In doing so they even used a decade to form their own community and mastered the devices they chose to use.

I say this because they just released the BOSS RC 505 MK II. BOSS did an invitational challenge and issued a few dozen to the top tier for a challenge. Since the unit was heavily Improved Upon the artists could not master it in a few months. So the First challenge was very weak on technical mastery and fell back on roots technique. Basic human performances with limited electronic master and cutting edge as they usually bring.

So these units take time. Find people doing what you want to do and see what its all about. Then pick the device that works for you.

Table top versus floor control is a big paradigm shift right now. Old school wants to use the feet, new school is the DJ whom uses their show that large stadiums can see, like Deadmaus started with. Now its acceptable and its even better to SHOW people what your doing.

Fact is if you do this Jedi style on the floor, people think you have backing tracks.

Especially when everything is perfectly synched like a machine.

You can have all you tracks free form if you want.

You can trigger the machine to do ONE thing, or EVERYTHING.

Its up to you.

THINK about what you want to do, this is now performance art in the end.

SEE how you will look doing it and then assemble your show.

Roadblocks are opportunities for creative thinkers.

Think about Ed Sheeran, the worlds biggest looping artist. One artist, a guitar and a clunky looper on the floor. People SAW him stomp on it . . .  and it made his hooks BLOW UP. To them it was magic. In hindsight its as simple as it gets. Just start small and work it out when you can't always get what you want.

gumtown

Quote from: glynndub on October 11, 2021, 02:56:11 PM
Fair question,  :)
For some songs I want a pre-recorded loop.
Example, Pink Floyd's "Time" I want to have the TickTock sound looping as I embellish using several GR-55 patches

I realise I can firstly select the RC's memory location, but I could do it that way on my old Digitech JamMan as well.
My goal is workflow enhancements.

The GR-55 "USB File Player" does a good job at playing that backing track, as another option.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

glynndub

Quote from: plexified on October 11, 2021, 07:47:04 PM

Roadblocks are opportunities for creative thinkers.

Well I must say. That was a damn good read, very informative indeed.

I've just watched Swiss Beat Box on YouTube, interesting! It's certainly a newer genre of music that requires a unique talent but also certainly nowhere near where I want to go musically. I wonder what Beethoven, Mozart etc would think? Possibly they would embraced it at some artistic level.

Sure, table top versus floor control is a big paradigm as an audience needs visual stimuli. I use to make a big thing of stamping around my FCB1010 while looping with Mobius. My understanding is Ed Sheeran's "ChewieMonst" has "Mobius" as the brain. I used Jeff Larson's "Mobius" for many years (I was a Mod on the old Mobius forum using same handle "glynndub") I spent may hours writing scrips for others and myself to ultimately make a looper do whatever you wanted. On returning to looping I thought I'd go with hardware to minimise my rig size.

A programmable Midi Map is certainly an option, however, I have changed my RC 500 to MIDI OUT & GR-55 to MIDI IN. A quick solution that gives me what I want & keeps it all simple.

Thank you for taking the time to cover a lot of aspects of this loopy world, as it was a damn good read.

glynndub

Quote from: gumtown on October 12, 2021, 12:17:56 AM
The GR-55 "USB File Player" does a good job at playing that backing track, as another option.

Thanks, I will experiment with the idea :)

narcsoul

Well...how can I have two independent loops with different measure.....but in time with drum rythms ??? Can anyone help??

ZillaG

Quote from: narcsoul on January 09, 2022, 01:53:25 AMWell...how can I have two independent loops with different measure.....but in time with drum rythms ??? Can anyone help??
You want to play both loops in parallel (same time) or in series (one after the other)? I don't think you can accomplish this with the loops playing in parallel since there is only one drum unit.