GK-3B with active pickups

Started by stub, September 19, 2020, 08:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

If I buy a GK-3B and attach it to a bass with active pickups (and a 9v battery), will I need to unplug the bass's normal out or does the GK-B3 have some kind of switch circuit?

In other words, if I was to connect the bass's 1/4" switching jack to the normal input of the GK-3B with a 1/4" TRS cable is there something in the GK-3B that can connect the ring to sleeve under some use condition to save the bass's 9v battery?

admin

Quote from: stub on September 19, 2020, 08:40:59 PM
If I buy a GK-3B and attach it to a bass with active pickups (and a 9v battery), will I need to unplug the bass's normal out or does the GK-B3 have some kind of switch circuit?

In other words, if I was to connect the bass's 1/4" switching jack to the normal input of the GK-3B with a 1/4" TRS cable is there something in the GK-3B that can connect the ring to sleeve under some use condition to save the bass's 9v battery?
Ring TRS switching is available on the Internal GK Kit

To use with external GK-3B, just use a short 1/4"  TS Cable from your Active Bass  1/4" Output, and connect to 1/4" Input on GK-3B during use
To extend your active bass battery life,  remove short 1/4"  TS Cable from your Active Bass  1/4" Output,  when not playing

stub

Thanks for confirming.

The jack on my bass is recessed and pretty awkward to connect and disconnect. Maybe I'll build a little switch box and go TRS to the box, and TS to the GK-3B. Switch-on will feed Ring+Sleeve  and  Tip to the GK-3B, switch off will disconnect ring & sleeve from each other and the GK-3B. I'll just need to remember to turn it on/off to save battery.

gumtown

With the external GK-3B, you need to unplug from the bass normal pickup.
A setup/pack down ritual I do, velcro tie the short patch lead to the GK cable.

I made a custom angled to angled patch cable for mine, and I keep a patch lead spare in my wagon just incase I lose the main one before a gig.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

HAMERMAN409

My Hamer Chaparral has a built in Sustainer that uses two 9V batteries and uses the output jack for turning on power. I use a dummy plug to turn the sustainer on and after forgetting to remove it two different times (and wasting four good 9V batteries!) I finally connected the dummy plug to a short piece of string that goes around my GK cable. Now I never forget to unplug the dummy plug and I don't have to worry about losing it.

stub

I'm seeing a theme here. Thanks for the advice

I'll probably be playing quite a few gigs without needing GK, so if I pull the trigger and go for the GK-3B, I'll have quite a few logistics to work out in terms of running the guitar direct vs through the GK system. Again, I think some kind of routing/switching device might be useful.

gumtown

With my GR-55 rig, I have modified the GR-55 with 2 jacks for send/return inserting into the normal pickup line between the GK 13 pin socket and the GR-55 internal board.
With that a Tech21 VT-Bass preamp type of pedal is inserted, I like a real tactile knob based preamp for live gigs.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stub

I just ordered a 3P3T switch from mouser. I'll go TRS into that switch, then I can send the bass to the GK, or direct to an amp, or turn it off and save battery.

I probably won't even be getting the GK-3B until next year. But I'll be ready.

gumtown

Quote from: stub on September 22, 2020, 01:52:29 PM
I just ordered a 3P3T switch from mouser. I'll go TRS into that switch, then I can send the bass to the GK, or direct to an amp, or turn it off and save battery.

I probably won't even be getting the GK-3B until next year. But I'll be ready.

I can imagine next time you use the bass, the battery is flat and the switch has been accidentally left on.  ;D

stub

You are SO right!! It's like you know me.

Yea, maybe I'll get into the habit after I've replaced several hundred 9v batteries.

stub

In a previous post I reported that I had built a little switch to allow me to not have to keep disconnecting my bass to save battery.

As it turns out, this was a FAILURE. Though the switch seemed to work in terms of routing signal either to nowhere or to two possible jacks, and it kept the ring/sleeve open, for some reason, it did not save battery. The battery would drain anyway-- even with the switch in the OFF position.

My understanding of how the jack works must be incorrect.

gumtown

Depends on the type of jack and how the switching is internally done, some fancy ones have a separate internal switch which is not associated with the sleeve/ring.

https://www.cuidevices.com/blog/understanding-audio-jack-switches-and-schematics

Maybe replace your bass volume pot with one of those "old school" radio volume pots with an off switch when dialed to minimum volume end.

stub

That makes sense. Not be a simple as ring-to-sleeve=ON.

It's an Ibanez SR series bass. Maybe I can dig up a schematic. If not, next time I have it open, I can see if I can figure it out. I like the idea of adding a little toggle. Even if I forget once in a while, it'd be nice. It's kind of difficult to get the cord in & out of this bass because it has a recessed jack.

stub

Might be possible to provide a switch via the battery on the back of the bass. I don't know if I should just "interrupt" the red+ with a simple SPST switch, or switch both + & - on/off with a DPST switch.

There's no obvious room on in battery compartment but if I remove it, I might find an open space on one end where there's a little extra surface area.

gumtown

Any sort of switch on the back side of a bass or guitar is going to find a way to switch itself off mid song, unless it is a recessed slider switch.
A push/pull switch replacing the volume or tone pot will do it, if it could push in to switch off, and modify your case so that when the lid closes it pushes the switch off, for when you forget to switch it off.

Even better is to install a GK-BG-Kit (internal GK kit) which has provision to switch on the active electronics when a GK power source is present,
if you are thinking of drilling holes for a switch, might as well go all out for a GK kit.

stub

Understood. I heavily modded my other bass that has a lo-z/hi-z switch on the back. I put some raised bumpers around it to prevent that from getting nudged. Works fine.