NUX - MG-300 User Reviews

Started by admin, August 01, 2020, 09:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/30946266/

KingsXJJ wrote>

Well, I got mine today and so far I am very impressed. FWIW, I didn't notice the drums sounding weak at all. It's really easy to set the drum, looper and preset level so that it all mixes together well. I found the drums inspiring me to go on extended riffs and jams. Just what a unit like this needs to earn it's keep as a handy practice tool if nothing else.

I'm no spring chicken but I could read the display easily enough. It's no OLED but it looks sharp and colorful with nice contrast.

The unit is a breeze to program and intuitive in layout. I created several patches and tweaked some factory ones without any RTM.

I used the studio out mode to go straight in to the aux in of decent Sony Bluetooth/network speaker (SRS-X77). I use it as a desktop solution with my Iridium and other pedals. I'm sure everyone will have their own opinion (especially on the amps, cabs, effects they are most familiar with) but I was quite surprised at how good it sounded and felt to play.

I'm primarily a Marshall/Fender guy. I spent the most time with the JCM800 through a green back 4X12 boosted by a tube screamer as a baseline with a splash of delay and reverb. It was really quite nice and I got some sweet EVH brown type tones. I also tweaked the Friedman amp and was pleased with it too. The Mesa heads sounded really full and seemed to do that "Mesa" high gain thing accurately and I actually liked wailing on that a lot.

I played a Fender Deluxe patch that had a lot of reverb and ambience. It sounded excellent to me. So did a couple of SRV factory patches.

Rolling off of the volume knob cleaned things up well on the Marshalls... especially when it wasn't over the top gain settings. The noise gate might need to be adjusted to accommodate the greater dynamic range and softer tones.

You'll know exactly what effects pedals they are offering and will recognize them easily by sight and sound. It's not subtle by any means. The available controls mimic the actual pedals. The delays and reverbs are better than I ever would have suspected.

The Speaker/Mic screen is very nice and makes it easy to see what speaker/mic/placement you are using as you adjust it. Nice touch.

The EQ is very effective and works well. I didn't check out the Wah or expression pedal much nor the compressor or USB. I haven't used the editor or load my own IR's either. I found one bug where if I loaded the last cab in the list (G12H Cream 4x12 I think) no mics we're loaded for it and the output ceased. Switching back to another cab didn't fix it but a reboot did. Minor bug that would be easily fixed unless it's operator error and that is a pre-labeled blank IR slot or something. I didn't get a chance to use the looper in action but it seemed easy enough to control while just briefly checking it out.

Even if the Valeton GP-100 works better... there's no way in hell I am sending this back. At $129 it's a steal and I'll use it for the office and traveling if nothing else. A side note, some 6 months ago or so, I ran through a few of the newer Mooer units (some in the $400+ range) and found them lacking in feel and tone. They all went back. This may be the honeymoon phase but so far so good.

admin

Ok - spent the afternoon comparing NUX MG-300 vs Valeton GP-100

NUX MG-300 wins

Headphone OUTPUT Level (using ATH-M50X headphones )
BEST = NUX MG-300 was very nice , and the MASTER knob is very handy and drives headphones with a much higher punch and decent level

The Valeton GP-100 had much less Headphone output drive even with Master Volume and Patch Volume on Maximum.

Basic AMP TONES
BEST = NUX MG-300 sounds like a $600 MFX here.
Full body Tone, and reacts to picking Dynamics very well
The Valeton GP-100 had a buzzy less defined tone, Would benefit using an external headphone AMP - but the Amps are less detailed , less dynamic range

DRUM Backing
BEST = NUX MG-300 lots of variety, decent tones even found a basic Surf Beat

Crash report = The Valeton GP-100 actually had a major crash ( on latest FW 1.3)

Observations:

The Expression pedal function is defined based upon the patch.

On gear like this its common to use compressible rubber pad under the Toe area, and when the toe area is pressed extra hard, the extra 2% movement on the treadle potentiometer performs the "Toe Switch Function".

(I'm told Expression pedal Toe Switch does work on MG-300
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMhL6TDhbak&feature=youtu.be&t=157&fbclid=IwAR26L_zlf9kyoNAg59TC1uuv3B3HAu_4gSKTGnU5r8sp-8zjB_fIe7l76Aw

Typically you get what you pay for

But this little NUX MG-300 ( which I paid $129 w free shipping
with its:
*  32 bit A/D D/A ( and it shows with its impressive dynamic range)
* ultra fast near gap free patch to patch change time
* Ability to take external pedals

Brings 5 times the joy vs any other $125 Amp sim, Cab IR loading MFX pedal ;)
Use the NUX MG-300 Editor, and the tones actually get VERY close to the original examples of ALL the gear they are trying to emulate.
By contrast the Valeton GP-100 exhibited its Ampero Amp sim code base pedigree  = but sounds like  FW rev 1.0 -  On Patch changes its  suffers a bit from the detectable  ( anti pop control) volume ramp down / up on patch to patch changes,
larger problem is it has that Mooer GE 150 High gain Amp problem of sounding like a  fixed flanger" is always on, with every High gain Amp.
and its utterly weak headphone output ( which is big deal breaker for this product category)  - I figure Valeton may address this with a BOM change  - swapping the Headphone op amp gain resistors  - but will only add more hiss

only hope for GP-100  -  turn off its Amp and cab sims and use it like an HX Effects for stomp FX in front of the MG-300.

As a former Vetta+ FPV Large board user -

The Headrush Big board still remains #1 for me  - for its amp tone feel, and ability to use effects anywhere  - Spring Reverb 1st in signal chain for vintage Surf)
and enough foot pedals to control everything I need without "snapshots" and no need for  lots of pre-gig prep"  and its  2 hour looper

But I'm older and there have been a few times at Blues jams,  - I cant use any of these big effects boards as they have too much "star trek baggage" for my peers - which only brings ridicule ( until I shut them up after delivering a blistering solo after doing my best to channel Mike Bloomfield)

People LISTEN with they EYES! and the Big pedal boards are NOT Allowed at Blues jams!

Thus my attraction to the Mustang GTX 100 + GTX-7  - which most folks at a blues jam assume its a hot rod deluxe - then wonder how I get great surf reverb and rockabilly slap back delays with w stereo XLR feed to the house PA from my "Fender Amp"

But back to the  NUX MG-300  - its a Keeper! And might replace my Ampero!

As with all the DSP MFX, Firmware updates make all the difference -

Valeton may be able to address its shortcomings with updated firmware

and if you never had access to the NUX MG-300, the GP-100 could deliver OK clean tones.

Until you A/B it with the NUX MG-300, on Headphones  - the NUX delivers a more engaging experience, Amps and effects sims faithful to the original.

I loaded the latest FW 1.0.67, but a few things do not work - Like the Whammy pedal sim  - never could get the Expression pedal to make that work  - but the just using the NUX Whammy pedal sim as a manual poly pitch changer - worked surprisingly well

If they bring out their Zoom G5n size/priced unit with stereo FX loop, and 8 foot switches and support for external expression pedals and MIDI IO  - it would give POD GO a run for its money

I already prefer the MG-300 amp sims vs Line-6 Amp sims for MY needs

admin

NUX MG-300 is among the few MFX that get the vintage Vox Top Boost amp Settings right

I own a genuine 1966 Vox AC-30 Top Boost , and the secret for good Solo Drive is Lower the Treble & Bass Controls = Punchier Midrange, and the NUX MG-300 gets this right!

The Univibe is very Smooth and sounds and feels authentic - had Trower Day of the Eagle easily

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/30935755/

Bach1970 wrote>

OK
I got it from AMS
No suprise about good tones - I have the mighty light and the plug and clean and crunch are both awsome.
Here, they seem to use different code, because the DLX RVB and VOX are much better than on the mighty light and plug.
Finally pretty good back up unit if I ever get to gig more frequently again.
I have had all of the cheaper units, and even though as Leon said "the FM3 this ain't" I say the POD GO this ain't - in terms of versatility but for basic amp tones and decent reverb and delay and EQ, this would work in a pinch.

One question for the other owners - there is only ONE user IR slot !!, but I was able to load a different user IR slot to different patches - so as long as it works like that, it is ok, but still would be much better if they gave at least 3 user IR slots.

I have not had much time with it, but none of the driven amps gels the same as the crunch from Nux nighty light
For those who have both, which one seems the closest to you ?

As a back up unit, this finally makes sense to me:
1. I can have clean, crunch and lead patch with decent quality (almost HX Stomp)
2. Can load my IR
3. For $150 as opposed to Amplifirebox $220 used, POD GO at $500, HX Stomp at $500 used

aliensporebomb

There's one of these at a local store where someone bought it and sold it to the store almost immediately - I already have a SY-1000...  Should I grab this?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin